Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I don't want mastitis again! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83915)

geez0pete 01-11-2007 08:42 PM

I don't want mastitis again!

Please send prayers/good thoughts my way as I have a few sore/pink spots and I was feeling very cold today. If I get this again it'll be about the sixth time in 8mo. I can't be a good mom if I'm always SICK! I'm doing everything I know to do (garlic, lecithin, vit. c, etc.) and yet it keeps coming. Mine aren't usually plugged ducts so I can't massage it out. Most of the time, by the time I notice any sore spot, I'm running a fever within 4 hours. Anyway..... :yuck::yuck: :yuck:

yellowcampcat 01-11-2007 08:56 PM

Re: I don't want mastitis again!

drink lots of water and and about 1/4 C cider vinegar! It's :yuck: but it's supposed to help. (The farmers give it to their cows!) I thought I was getting mastitis a few weeks ago. I drank lots of H2O and the vinegar, and massaged the soreness while I nursed, and it never materialized. ( I had to be on antibiotics when I had it w. my first dc). HOpe you don't get it!:thumbsup:

wahoowhippets 01-11-2007 09:42 PM

I have had a ton of breast infections in the past too. They told me to watch my saturated fat intake (among other things you already mentioned). Take care of yourself! :goodvibes: One doctor told me to wean and I said NO WAY! I ended up nursing her for a long, long time after my last infection. Hang in there, I will keep you in my thoughts! :hugs:

mommy21princess 01-13-2007 11:36 AM

Make sure you're emptying that side. You may even have to nurse from that side more than one time in a row, KWIM? Also, try various positions. If you are constantly getting them, I'd def. reccommend using various postions often so that you can help pull out ALL of the ducts!! Hope you don't get it again!!

teenibutterfly 01-14-2007 05:39 PM

i've had mastitis a few times in the last 2 months! And now the evil nipple thrush from all the penicillin. Ugly!

Keep your nipples clean and dry and avoid the lanolin. It traps bacteria on your nipples which block the ducts. Get lots of sleep! Eat cooked whole grains and cooked veggies! Avoid all forms of sugar (a piece of fruit sometimes for blood sugar is all you need). Walk/speed walk for half hour each day! Drink 8 tall glasses of water a day! Avoid caffine!

Are your nipples cracked? Polysporin works great. Just wipe off with water before breastfeeding.

Use a good breastpump to fully empty the breasts! Wear breathable cotton breast pads.
This has all worked great for me!
My prayers are with you!
Pea

trimom 01-14-2007 06:02 PM

Have you tried the cow position? On your hands and knees, with baby on his back on the bed below you. It drains the "udders" in a different way and clears blockages really well.

Have you tried taking lethicin? I'm not sure of the daily dose - maybe someone else here knows...