Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   bumkins bibs? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84197)

aept 01-12-2007 12:08 PM

bumkins bibs?

Has anyone tried these?
We are probably going to start trying some solids soon and so far we have lots of cotton bibs that work well for drool and spit-up. Should I just keep using those for food, or get something more stain-proof / waterproof?

Any other recommendations?
Thanks!
Ann

bluebonnet 01-12-2007 02:40 PM

Re: bumkins bibs?

I got 3 Bumkin Bibs from One Step Ahead and they ROCK! I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend them. In fact, I wish I never bothered with any other bibs in the first place. They work great, are super easy, fast to hand wash and are usually dry by the next mealtime.

:thumbsup:

MCR 01-12-2007 02:45 PM

I have two bumkins I never use, they have velcro on the neck and every baby I put them on, rips them off. :banghead:
I have the terry cloth kind that pull over the head, they work great. Mine are falling apart now and I want to by some of the WAHM ones I saw in the WAHM section, snaps at the neck and two layers, one of BKT and one of flannel, the only way to soak through that would be to pour water on it. :thumbsup: Now I need some pp to pay for them.

aept 01-12-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCR (Post 625702)
I have two bumkins I never use, they have velcro on the neck and every baby I put them on, rips them off. :banghead:
I have the terry cloth kind that pull over the head, they work great. Mine are falling apart now and I want to by some of the WAHM ones I saw in the WAHM section, snaps at the neck and two layers, one of BKT and one of flannel, the only way to soak through that would be to pour water on it. :thumbsup: Now I need some pp to pay for them.

I have some of hers - they're really well made - just didn't know how they would work for food?!

titania 01-12-2007 06:26 PM

we have some vinyl(?) bibs from target that work great. we wash them in the sink and hang dry. they were like $10 i think for a 3 pack. just another option for ya! :thumbsup:

mommyto2presidents 01-12-2007 07:14 PM

I LOVE my bumkins. You can just wash them after every use with soap and water and let them dry. They dry REALLY quickly.... I got them on sale just recently (for the smaller sized ones, which I prefer. I got them from Cloth Diapers 'n More...

http://www.clothdiapersnmore.com/cat...age=4&sale=yes

HTH!

MCR 01-13-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aept (Post 625719)
I have some of hers - they're really well made - just didn't know how they would work for food?!

I did vinyl bibs, plastic bibs, everything you can think of over the years, and went to single layer terry cloth even for feeding solid foods, I've never had food soak through, and liquid would be caught by the thick terrycloth, where as when I used plastic or vinyl the liquid always ran off the bib onto the babys lap.
As a foster mom to over 15 babies/toddlers with two bio kids I recommend plain old cloth bibs :thumbsup: I'm saving up for the WAHM ones, for $4.50 or whatever it was she charges, I'd use a clean one for each meal, and throw them in with the diapers for washing.

kquigs 01-13-2007 11:38 AM

I use vinyl sometimes now, but now that they are starting to self feed I like long sleeve bibs from abetterbib.com, I got them as a gift and love them. It keeps their sleeve clean without having to roll them up.

worldwarcaitlin 01-13-2007 11:53 AM

I use my bibs for food, lol :) I bought a bunch of plastic ones from target when DS first started on solids. I hated using them because they were messier than cloth (the pureed food dribbles around because of the plastic and DS would put his hands in it) and have to be handwashed. I cannot stand handwashing! :yuck: Not to mention they were all velcro. Within 5 seconds of putting them on DS would have them taken back off.

Now I use cotton/flannel with BKT on the back for when he eats. I have designated "food" bibs that aren't my favorites, that way if they get stains on them it doesn't really matter. Honestly though, most of them have yet to receive a noticable stain.

If plastic bibs had snaps on them I might like them a little more, but I have yet to find ones that do. I thought about adding snaps to his store-bought ones but I have yet to get around to doing so.

TwinKristi 01-13-2007 12:13 PM

We got a free Bumkins bib from BeByBaby in Chicago and loved it! Unlike the vinyl ones, these are soft and flexible. My DS hates bibs anyway but sometimes I can sneak one on him. I set up a 3M sticky hook thing on a cabinet next to & above my sink and let them dry on there. Its perfect!