Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   suggestions for cooking a ham? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84497)

allye 01-12-2007 10:55 PM

suggestions for cooking a ham?

Hey all.
WE have a huge chunk of ham in the freezer, its not one of those pre cooked ones, this is the real deal.

I have absolutely no idea on how to cook this thing...Any suggestions, tips? :):thumbsup:

L J 01-13-2007 12:55 AM

Re: suggestions for cooking a ham?

Any chance you have a smoker? That's the only way I know how to cook hams... if you do, let me know, and I'll walk you through it. :)

allye 01-13-2007 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L J (Post 627583)
Any chance you have a smoker? That's the only way I know how to cook hams... if you do, let me know, and I'll walk you through it. :)

This may sound silly, but what is a smoker?

shell015 01-13-2007 01:15 AM

Soak it in beer overnight if possible..but at least an hour... . just one can. Take the beer out but save it. Put it in your oven at 300 degrees for like 10-12 hours...depending on how big it is and baste it with the beer every once in a while.Do not let it cook in the beer or it will taste like it. But do add a little to it every once in a while. It will come out fall apart good. We aren't beer drinkers and it is awesome.

If you are not a beer person do an equal parts honey and water mixture... 12oz same size as a beer with the same directions as above. :) HTH

allye 01-13-2007 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shell015 (Post 627614)
Soak it in beer overnight if possible..but at least an hour... . just one can. Take the beer out but save it. Put it in your oven at 300 degrees for like 10-12 hours...depending on how big it is and baste it with the beer every once in a while.Do not let it cook in the beer or it will taste like it. But do add a little to it every once in a while. It will come out fall apart good. We aren't beer drinkers and it is awesome.

If you are not a beer person do an equal parts honey and water mixture... 12oz same size as a beer with the same directions as above. :) HTH

Oh this sounds like a good idea, thank you!!!!
Im so used to the pre cooked hams, this is all new to me

shell015 01-13-2007 01:20 AM

It was all new to me too. My dad always makes an awesome ham for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year the ILs came for christmas so I made his ham.... Thinking on it now... I really don't think they deserve that good of a meal. LOL. J/K

Good luck with it. Be sure and tell me how it turns out.

allye 01-13-2007 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shell015 (Post 627623)
It was all new to me too. My dad always makes an awesome ham for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year the ILs came for christmas so I made his ham.... Thinking on it now... I really don't think they deserve that good of a meal. LOL. J/K

Good luck with it. Be sure and tell me how it turns out.

OH I will for sure :) thank you!

Lmakes5 01-15-2007 02:54 PM

What I did for our Christmas dinner was just put the thawed ham in a roasting pan, add about 2 inches of water, cover the pan tightly w/aluminum foil and put it in the over at 325 for 4-6 hours. The package said to bake 10 minutes per pound of ham. It was falling apart tender and super juicy! It was the first time I've ever cooked a ham and I was really glad it turned out so well.