Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Does anyone sell thier breast milk? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845974)

kelleysunshine 10-01-2009 01:19 PM

Does anyone sell thier breast milk?

Id really like to try to sell some of my breast milk to make some extra money. Does anyone know where I could sell it online?:thumbsup:

Bekki 10-01-2009 01:34 PM

Re: Does anyone sell thier breast milk?

It's illegal to sell breast milk in th U.S. It's considered "human tissue". Donating it is OK, though - so long as you don't accept any money for it.

kelleysunshine 10-01-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bekki (Post 8538622)
It's illegal to sell breast milk in th U.S. It's considered "human tissue". Donating it is OK, though - so long as you don't accept any money for it.

Everywhere Ive read says that its only illegal to sell it in CA.

Jenette 10-01-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelleysunshine (Post 8538991)

I think it is different in every state but I am in CA and it is illegal here.

Jenette 10-01-2009 03:10 PM

I donate mine here but they might be able to tell you if you can sell it.

Bekki 10-01-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelleysunshine (Post 8538991)

I had always understood that it was illegal to sell it in the U.S, but I could be wrong!

jessi4jc 10-01-2009 06:26 PM

Illegal.

mgmsrk 10-01-2009 07:54 PM

Would people be willing to pay from a private seller? There are a lot of diseases that can be transferred through breast milk. It would be a huge risk for someone to give it to a baby with no testing. And than there are the issues of how its handled. I’m sure you are not sick or taking any medications that could harm a baby and would treat all milk properly but I just can’t picture anyone taking the risk from a stranger.

kelleysunshine 10-01-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgmsrk (Post 8541844)
Would people be willing to pay from a private seller? There are a lot of diseases that can be transferred through breast milk. It would be a huge risk for someone to give it to a baby with no testing. And than there are the issues of how its handled. Iím sure you are not sick or taking any medications that could harm a baby and would treat all milk properly but I just canít picture anyone taking the risk from a stranger.

If I were to sell it, I would be fully prepared to get myself tested and submit the results. Ive been a vegetarian for 4 years and have not taken mediction since I cant even remember, (I just let it run its course if I do get sick...). I know Im healthy, but I would get tested so the buyer could know as well.

I dont think its illegal everywhere, just in CA. I know you cant sell it on ebay or craigslist but I dont know where to look into it even... Ill call one of my lawyer friends tomorrow to ask about teh laws regarding it to be sure...:thumbsup:

katiecornflakes 10-02-2009 10:39 AM

Looks like the laws do vary by state. It looks like you can post a question about the laws in your state here. I also found this article.

Not sure how I feel about selling milk, but it's your decision so hope that helps.