Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Co-Sleeping Mamas with toddlers, WWYD? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847348)

iggyloo 10-03-2009 08:55 PM

Co-Sleeping Mamas with toddlers, WWYD?

So my DD will be 2 in a couple of weeks. We have never been able to exclusively co-sleep, but the nights DD wants to sleep with us, she can. Which sometimes means we all wake up multiple times throughout the night, DH has to go sleep on the couch, or we are all cramped and stiff in the am. There are also nights where we don't bother eachother at all, and we all sleep great! But, those are alot less. It's just not comfortable with all of us in the bed. :(

We've been experiencing more sleep issues lately, and it seems like she just doesn't want to be alone the whole time she is napping or sleeping at night. I talked about it with DH, and he doesn't care if we figure out a way to have DD in our room more often. We just CANNOT share our queen mattress! It is barely big enough for DH and I, let alone a wiggly 2 yr old added to the mix.

My question is this, should we:
-Move DD's crib into our room, take the front off and push it up next to our bed, which would mean she would be in our room exclusively.
-Buy a toddler bed and put that in our room AND keep her crib in her room as well, so she has both options
-Buy a TWIN mattress and put that in our room next to our bed AND keep her crib in her room..

I am leaning toward the 2nd and 3rd choices, just because she does seem to like her time alone as well. (And so do I...)

WWYD? :goodvibes:

Asher'sMama 10-03-2009 09:03 PM

Re: Co-Sleeping Mamas with toddlers, WWYD?

I would try the twin mattress on the floor and leave her crib in her room. That way if she needs you close (as in the same bed) one of you can lay with her on it (or try it). We did this with DS before we got a king size and it worked well for us.

temichan 10-03-2009 09:07 PM

My DD still sleeps with us and she's 35 months old. Our friends think we're crazy, but we sleep opposite of each other. My head is at the foot of the bed and DH's is at the head. DD sleeps in the middle. We have a Queen bed and DH and I are on the fluffy side, lol. It doesn't bother us and we have a lot more room that way. Eventually we'll need to get a King sized bed.
As for your question. I would bring the crib into your room and put a toddler or twin bed in her "big girl" room.

maddys_mama 10-03-2009 09:15 PM

I vote toddler bed. In most bedrooms, that's more do-able than a crib. We slowly weaned our daughter from co-sleeping by putting her toddler bed right next to ours. It took a few nights, but she started to sleep in her own bed. Once she went a few weeks with falling asleep in her own bed, we moved her bed away from ours. Not in to her own room yet, but just farther away from our bed. She was still falling asleep with us in the room though, so once she'd sleep away from our bed with no problem, we started getting her to fall asleep in her bed in our room without us. That took a couple of nights. We figured out the trick was to let her fall asleep to one of her favorite shows. With the show on, she'd be out within a few minutes. Once she went a few weeks of falling asleep by herself, we moved her bed in to her room. We'd do our night time routine, pop a disney movie in (with the volume turned down low) and left. The first night or two were a bit of a challenge, but now she sleeps 12 hours in her own bed in her own room!

iggyloo 10-03-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddys_mama (Post 8556699)
I vote toddler bed. In most bedrooms, that's more do-able than a crib. We slowly weaned our daughter from co-sleeping by putting her toddler bed right next to ours. It took a few nights, but she started to sleep in her own bed. Once she went a few weeks with falling asleep in her own bed, we moved her bed away from ours. Not in to her own room yet, but just farther away from our bed. She was still falling asleep with us in the room though, so once she'd sleep away from our bed with no problem, we started getting her to fall asleep in her bed in our room without us. That took a couple of nights. We figured out the trick was to let her fall asleep to one of her favorite shows. With the show on, she'd be out within a few minutes. Once she went a few weeks of falling asleep by herself, we moved her bed in to her room. We'd do our night time routine, pop a disney movie in (with the volume turned down low) and left. The first night or two were a bit of a challenge, but now she sleeps 12 hours in her own bed in her own room!

I'm actually trying to figure out how to get her into our room comfortably, not out. :goodvibes:

Mom2KG 10-03-2009 09:41 PM

If you want her sleeping in your room full time then I would just move the crib and side car it. We have a king size bed, a crib and a pack n' play in our bedroom. My 3 year old and 17 month old rotate around. Sometimes it is all 4 of us in our bed, other times they sleep in the crib or pack n' play. My oldest dd even has a big girl room with a queen size bed of her own but she has yet to sleep in it. :giggle: I would say you will all sleep better if she has her own bed in the room. A queen is not big enough for 3 people. Especially a wiggly toddler. :)

KimProbable 10-03-2009 11:28 PM

I vote for the third option. I don't really see the point in toddler beds if you have room for a twin, and you'll have to transition her out of the toddler bed at some point anyhow. A twin will also give you the option of an adult moving into her bed if she crawls into the queen with you. (This is the exact set-up in our room right now, a queen and a twin in our room with the kids having their own beds in their room as well)

I also think it's good to keep the crib in her room so that your room can be kept for more adult activities in the evening. :mrgreen:

Elsaraw 10-04-2009 06:04 PM

We co-sleep with a 21 month old and have a queen and a side car'd crib. There is lots of room. I am going to get a twin bed and set it up in his room (currently storage area) in case he is interested, but I won't push him.

madebymommy 10-04-2009 06:10 PM

we went through this - we ended up keeping the crib in DD's room and then having a toddler bed next to our bed in our room - our bedroom is TINY. Then we slowly transitioned DD to the crib until she was ready for the toddler bed. She still sneaks into bed with us though, lol!

iggyloo 10-04-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimProbable (Post 8557679)
I vote for the third option. I don't really see the point in toddler beds if you have room for a twin, and you'll have to transition her out of the toddler bed at some point anyhow. A twin will also give you the option of an adult moving into her bed if she crawls into the queen with you. (This is the exact set-up in our room right now, a queen and a twin in our room with the kids having their own beds in their room as well)

I also think it's good to keep the crib in her room so that your room can be kept for more adult activities in the evening. :mrgreen:

I think thats what I am going to do. Makes the most sense! And a twin size mattress will last for years. Thanks! :)