Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   VBAC? What VBAC? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=848)

Velvetpage 04-23-2006 08:08 PM

VBAC? What VBAC?

Hello! I have a question for those of you who have/are trying a VBAC.

My hospital required that I go for a consultation with an ob/gyn, though my primary care has been through a midwife. When I went to that appointment last Monday, the ob/gyn suggested that I book an elective c-section for 41 weeks. If I hadn't gone into labour on my own by then, I'd have the c-section. I reluctantly agreed.

Well, they got back to me on Friday afternoon, and told me that my elective section is booked, not for the fifteenth or sixteenth (I hit 41 weeks on the sixteenth) but for the tenth. That's the day after I'm due.

I'm really upset about this. It doesn't seem like enough time - my chances of having a VBAC just decreased by about half because the timeline is so short.

What I want to know, and plan to ask my midwife tomorrow, is: 1) if I end up being induced as I was last time, are the risks of rupture any greater after 41 weeks than they were on my due date? How long will the midwife let me go before advising an induction? What are the stats on serious, long-lasting complications (i.e. loss of fertility, death) from a uterine rupture and emergency c-section, and are these risks increased by waiting longer than 41 weeks?

Anyone been here, or have any information on these questions? I've been stewing about this all weekend.

Samantha 04-23-2006 08:12 PM

Re: VBAC? What VBAC?

I would call them and say "HECK NO! I want the c-section schedualed for the 16th or within a COUPLE days, not 6!"

NO WAY would I agree to doing it on the 10th...with that being the day AFTER your due date!

toryandrew 04-23-2006 08:16 PM

I did a VBAC for DS2 and they told me that getting induced is very dangerous for a VBAC and not allowed because it creates far more stress on the post- c/s uterus. I would call and try to get the date pushed back to the max to allow time for you to go naturally. At least when I was trying for my VBAC the choice was go naturally or go for the c/s no option to be induced.

hfitz5051 04-23-2006 08:19 PM

Remember it is YOUR body and your baby. They can't "make" you do it on that day.

Velvetpage 04-23-2006 09:03 PM

The problem is that there are only two scheduled c-sections per day, and most are booked weeks or months in advance. Basically, I waited too long for the consult and the dates I wanted are booked up. So my options are a) take the tenth; b) screw it and wait until I go into labour, knowing that I may end up with a c-section anyway, possibly an emergency one.

My doctor and midwife both say that induction with the cervical gel is absolutely verboten, but induction with oxytocin is not. If I need an induction, that's how they'll do it.

Knittress 04-23-2006 09:20 PM

I PM'ed you some info. :D

Velvetpage 04-23-2006 09:22 PM

Thanks!

mama23boys 04-23-2006 10:35 PM

i had a VBAC. they ended up inducing with PIT 1wk early bc my water was leaking and i was having contractions but labor inducing ones. all turned out fine. my c-sec had been 7yrs ago and it was a vertical cut both of those are a favored thing in a doc deciding to go ahead w/a vbac.

my doc did tell me that if they push you into the c-sec or you say no c-sec and they do it anyway YOU can charge the hospital/doc with bodily assault bc it was against your wishes.

Velvetpage 04-24-2006 04:10 AM

I'm not sure if that's true in Canada. The rules are slightly different here when it comes to suing and charging.

Thanks for your story - it's heartening. :)

Velvetpage 04-24-2006 05:09 AM

I've been told that certain kinds of induction raise the risk more than others. A prostoglandin gel on the cervix, for example, is a complete no-no. A pitocin/oxytocin drip raises risks slightly but not enough that they'd never do it.