Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Does anyone NOT use plastic bottles because they feel their not safe? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85191)

runningdiva 01-14-2007 07:18 PM

Does anyone NOT use plastic bottles because they feel their not safe?

for their own personal use or for their DC's and use glass instead???
DH is really concerned about plastic and heat and the chemicals that are released into plastic when it's heated up. Anyway, just wondering if there are other's who feel the same way?

KnottyLDSMama 01-14-2007 07:20 PM

Re: Does anyone NOT use plastic bottles because they feel their not safe?

If I knew then what I know now, I would've bought DS glass bottles. As it is, we can't afford to replace all of our bottles, and he can't use anything but an Avent nipple, so we couldn't change if we wanted to. However, for any future children, any bottles they get will be glass. And I want to snatch a few Kleen Kanteen bottles for myself.

For The Love Of Cloth 01-14-2007 07:41 PM

My kids use plastic sippy's but I refuse to have any food heated in the microwave in plastic. My dh firmly disagrees so we are always differing on this one.

And we haven't even broached the subject of using the microwave itself. My aunt refuses to eat anything that came out of a microwave.

tsk_mum 01-14-2007 08:06 PM

We are gradually trying to replace with glass & get used to not using it ... so YES I feel the same way. DH understands my point but doesnt care either way. Its hard for my 8 yr DC to get used too.
We are trying to faze out our microwave too! Just b/c its convenient doesnt mean its best....that dang toaster oven takes longer:lostit:

odenata 01-14-2007 08:13 PM

I phased out a lot of plastic in our kitchen shortly after dd was born. I got rid of any tupperware and got Pyrex instead, and I love it. I do use a few plastic sippy cups and water glasses, but they never go in the dishwasher and the water gets changed frequently.

cicily 01-14-2007 08:19 PM

If we have to use bottles for our next child, we'll probably end up using these: http://www.newbornfree.com/pics/bornfree/index.htm

JustAugust 01-14-2007 08:37 PM

Well, I did recently buy DS a Klean Kanteen. BUT, if I got all spazzy about everything on this Earth that isn't perfect for DS to lick, drink, eat, sleep on, etc. I'd go insane. I do what I can. We all drink and eat out of plastic. Honestly, I prefer plastic to glass or metal any day myself.

ETA: More than likely as time goes on I will replace things. I just mean I'm not going to get all upset and get rid of everything we have now before we have the money to replace it. :)

tararaboomdeea 01-14-2007 10:07 PM

I had no idea plastic bottles were a concern for so many people! *shrugs*

I, too, prefer plastic over glass for me to personally drink out of. I didn't even know they made glass bottles. It seems like there would be more of a danger in those? Breaking?

Fither 01-14-2007 10:12 PM

it's funny, ever since i was a little kid i hated drinking or eating off of plastic, so naturally, we don't have plastic cups/plates/bowls etc. we do have tupperware type things, and i would prefer to not have them. i think we'll try to slowly phase them out. our son never used a bottle but i agree that i would prefer he drink out of glass as well.

lkregula 01-14-2007 10:24 PM

Technically, #5's are safe even with heat, but I avoid plastics in general just the same. To many eco concerns with the whole processing and use of them.