Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   pumping a freezer stash questions... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=851958)

mama_harrison 10-10-2009 08:31 PM

pumping a freezer stash questions...

I started pumping today to get a freezer stash for my dd 'just in case' and because I may be returning to work in a few months for 2 days a week. She is just shy of 12 weeks old and I am wondering how many ounces should i freeze in each bag? what do you consider a 'good' freezer stash? I know when you are receiving donor milk they say to look for a mama pumping milk for a babe approx. your los age because the milk content will be closer to what they need nutritionally does this same theory apply to freezer stashes? in other words, if i pump a stash now and we end up needing to use it when dd is 6 months old will the milk content be adequet for her since my body made it when she was just 3 months? am i WAY overthinking this--i'm tired and need to sleep.....

also after i have built my stash i would like to continue to pump to donate to milkshare--how long will it take my body to adjust to the added demand of 1 pumping session daily? how long will it take my body to adjust when I decide i'm done donating?

TIA mamas:goodvibes:

mama_harrison 10-11-2009 08:04 AM

Re: pumping a freezer stash questions...

anyone??

Mommy-Stacy 10-11-2009 12:27 PM

Dana, I think you are over thinking your freezer stash a bit :) I am back to work full-time and my DS is 10 weeks old. While I am at work he is drinking milk that I pumped back in August when he was only a few weeks old. He is doing great.

I think they recommend this for donated milk because the baby is usually only getting the donor milk; where as for your LO you will be breastfeeding her as well as feeding her expressed breast milk (does this make sense?)

It will take your body NO time at all to adjust to ONE pumping session a day...but if you really want to build up a freezer stash I would suggest trying to do 2-3 pumping sessions a day.

Depending on how long you will be away you'll need anywhere from 6-12 or more oz available.

You may want to do some reading on kellymom.com there is A LOT of great info for pumping and breastfeeding there.

If you have any other questions, just PM me :) good luck!

mama_harrison 10-11-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy-Stacy (Post 8618228)
Dana, I think you are over thinking your freezer stash a bit :) I am back to work full-time and my DS is 10 weeks old. While I am at work he is drinking milk that I pumped back in August when he was only a few weeks old. He is doing great.

I think they recommend this for donated milk because the baby is usually only getting the donor milk; where as for your LO you will be breastfeeding her as well as feeding her expressed breast milk (does this make sense?)

It will take your body NO time at all to adjust to ONE pumping session a day...but if you really want to build up a freezer stash I would suggest trying to do 2-3 pumping sessions a day.

Depending on how long you will be away you'll need anywhere from 6-12 or more oz available.

You may want to do some reading on kellymom.com there is A LOT of great info for pumping and breastfeeding there.

If you have any other questions, just PM me :) good luck!

thanks for the suggestions/help mommy-stacey!

xmommy 10-11-2009 07:57 PM

My LO is a little over 4 months and I've been back to work about 2 months now. In the beginning I froze it in sizes from 2-5 oz, with most 3-4, this way whichever he needed we had. If it was a full feeding he could have 4 or 5, if just adding to a partial bottle of milk from the previous day a smaller amount. Once you start using it you'll find out how much she'll take in a feeding.