Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do I get ds to sleep longer? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852)

MamaStace 04-23-2006 08:25 PM

How do I get ds to sleep longer?

:( My 6 month old is up EVERY TWO HOURS! NO JOKE! He hasn't yet doubled his birthweight, but this just can't go on. I"m exhausted and a wreck, as is the rest of my family. I've tried to give him extra food during the day and nurse him more, but now i"m not convinced taht EVERY Time he gets up he's tired. I can understand the 2 times he gets up at night and is really hungry, gulping down milk, but the other times? He doesn't know what the heck he wants! And he won't sleep with me( at least then I'd get some decent sleep w/out jumping out of bed every hour-2 hours). He has trouble sleeping unless he's in his crib by himself, but it has to be on HIS terms. Does that make sense? I"m so tired.

I have to go back to read no cry sleep solution. Im just too tired to make sense of anything. We stayed at my parents' house this weekend (dh is out of town) and he had everyone up every two hours. Listening to my mom say this is not normal for a 6 month old (no kidding! Dd didn't pull this!) didn't make me feel any better. :( I hate the thought of CIO, but I just don't know what else to do. Any ideas on how long is too long to CIO if that's what I choose to do? What other options do I have? If this keeps up I don't know how I'll be able to function. It was so much easier with dd b/c she was our only child!! Now I have to be up early in the mornings to care for dd and the girl I babysit. I Just don't know what else to do.

vick 04-23-2006 08:48 PM

Re: How do I get ds to sleep longer?

Sorry mama - that's gotta be rough {{{hugs}}}

Have you talked to your pediatrician? What did they say?

Hillbilly Bunny 04-23-2006 08:53 PM

My dd and ds started doing this at that age because thay were teething ;) My dd still does this some nights. She usually sleeps about 4 hours, then 3, then 2 until we fimally get up. Sometimes she will wake every 1-2 hours and that is usually because of her teething! She did this last week and we finally gave her some tylenol before she went to bed and she only woke up 2 times that night! poor thing, I think she need the rest!

rds989 04-23-2006 09:25 PM

I'd really recommend the book Happy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child, by Marc Weisbluth. You need to take his recommendations w/ a grain of salt since you know your kid best, but it's still really useful. He was my friends pediatrician, and she loved him!

Being routinized and intentional about our kids' sleep habits has been one of the best things we've done for our family and our sanity! Good luck!

flobee76 04-23-2006 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rds989
Being routinized and intentional about our kids' sleep habits has been one of the best things we've done for our family and our sanity! Good luck!

I completely agree!! DD has really thrived on a routine and sticking fairly close to a sleep schedule. I only wish that I applied some sort of routine earlier in her life. She was the kind of baby that had several night-wakings. When she was teething- that was the worst! Some nights she would want to co-sleep, others... she just wanted to cry. Tylenol and Hyland's Teething Tabs saved me!

wbkt8 04-23-2006 10:34 PM

yeah we had teething starting about that time. i hate teething (guess dd doesn't care for it so much either) but it just makes sleeping horrible.

we cosleep and that helps some but on the bad nights it's just hard.

oh as far as doubling birthweight....well, i guess we had a couple pretty good months between her hitting 2x & before she started teething, but i haven't noticed a single correlation between her weight/eating solids/etc. and how well she sleeps.

how is his napping? my dd is/was a crappy napper but i find that it does help if i make a really concerted effort to make sure she gets a good nap (or at that age naps). i see you have other kids so i know it's easier to do when there's only one. i would take molly for carrides to get her to nap & then sit in the park across the street, etc. so she'd sleep on the really bad days. or take her for long walks (she's almost always sleep in the stroller).
((hugs))

katie

mommy2zander 04-24-2006 12:01 AM

Hugs to you while you work through this...

I wonder if trying co-sleeping again might work? We have a rail on the side of our bed that was really great when zander was small... I've also heard mama's recommend removing the bedframe and lowering the matress to the floor for safety... I understand if this still won't work, but I just thought I'd throw it out there just in case...

I hope this stage passes quickly!! as pp said, Hylands teething tablets are great!! :D

FitMommyOf2 04-24-2006 07:40 AM

(((Hugs))) mama,
I've btdt with Mason when he was 4 mo. old and up until 1 month ago he didn't sleep properly through the night, nor having good naps during the day!..
I realized that as strange as it sounds, but if he sleeps 2.5-3 hrs during the day (mostly 1st nap 1hr, 2nd nap for 1.5-2hrs) he sleeps much better at night! Also how we set the routine he now goes to bed between 5.30-6pm and it works great. [Eventhough eventually I'd like to have him go to bed around 7pm as otherwise my DH hardly sees him..]

I can only recommend the book 'Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child' by Marc Weissbluth, M.D. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...Fencoding=UTF8

It helped me a lot w/the routine and isn't a total CIO book, but he explains to some extend the CIO is ok if that's what you want to do. (I sometimes have to let DS cry for a bit [~5 mins] and then go back in and he calms down much better OR often enough he falls asleep w/in those minutes.

GL and feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to! :)

turtle2who 04-24-2006 07:00 PM

The marc Weisbluth book is really good- I need to read it again! Having the same type of problem although thankfully not every two hours! Sometimes it feels like it though. A friend of mine did a modified Ferber method with her son when he suddenly went to every 2 hours and had gone longer before that. She decided she needed to sleep and he had just gotten into a bad habit after being sick and waking up more often. Once he was better he didn't stop waking up!

When he woke she would go in and comfort him for 3-4 minutes then leave. If he cried she'd wait 5 minutes before going in- then would comfort him again for 3-4 minutes. Then she waited 7 minutes before going back in for 3-4 minutes. Then she waited 10 and if he was still crying would comfort him for 3-4. Then she would continue with 10 minute intervals until he fell asleep. She said the first night was roughest. She got Daddy to take a shift now and then and her son responded really well to that. He was so happy to see Mama the next time that he settled right down when she comforted him and went to sleep! LOL Anyway- she did say it took a few days and she had intended to nurse him after 6 hours to geet him through till morning but a couple of nights he slept right through and she realized that he didn't need it. He has slept though the night ever since- that was six months ago!

I am going to work on this with my ds when I am home with him this summer. He'll be over a year old and still waking 2-3 times a night! Ugh. I am sooo tired! I don't want to let him cry but I need to sleep!

If you try this let me know how it goes!

havanadaydreamin 04-24-2006 07:13 PM

Hugs...I'm sorry that you have a lousy sleeper!

DD will be 1 in a couple of weeks and she still wakes up 3-4 times a night. She usually sleeps about 4 hours, then is up every 2 hours until we wake up for the day. She is a terrible napper as well. I think that if she wou ld actually sleep during the day, she would sleep better at night.

I'm crossing my fingers that she might get better once she is out of her crib, so I was thinking about moving her to a bed at the end of the summer. I think that she really just hates her crib!