Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   How long after baby is born do you start pumping? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852462)

sbolen 10-11-2009 09:52 PM

How long after baby is born do you start pumping?

Hi!
DD2 is due any day now and I was wondering how soon after DD2 is born should I start pumping to get a good supply?

With DD1, I had an adequate supply but not too much. I really didn't start working on building a freezer stash for her until she was 8 weeks old. However, this time around I'd like to not have to pump as much at work, have a deep freezer now, and would therefore like to have more stocked up than last time.

I don't want to have an oversupply and always be engorged, but at the same time it'd be nice to have extra!

Oh, I'll be returning to work full time when DD2 is about 4 months old.

Thanks!

kat1205 10-11-2009 09:53 PM

Re: How long after baby is born do you start pumping?

I asked about pumping in the hospital because the pump they bring you to use works as a manual pump and once you try it it's yours. I didn't pump a lot until after my supply was established though and we had a good routine down.

boy-oh-boy 10-11-2009 10:01 PM

I'd always heard not before 6 weeks, so your body will adjust to where it needs to be naturally... but I wish I had pumped earlier. MIL used up most of my milk in the first two weeks of me being back at work, giving DS 20 oz over 6 hours. The milk I had frozen at the beginning of school (late August) should have gotten me through the end of October, not including any pumpings while at work. It got me through September, barely :( I had a higher supply with DS3 than I did with either of my older boys, so I thought I would be ok with what I had, and so didn't worry about pumping until he was around 12 weeks old or so. I didn't take into account that MIL really loves to feed people.

I REALLY wish I had started pumping earlier when it was more available.

kitzmarj 10-12-2009 05:35 AM

I started my dd's stash at 2 weeks of age. I would pump in the early morning and then maybe once more during the day or at night but that was it. I had 500 oz in my stash b4 i went back to work. As for not pumping as much at work, I would think your supply would dwindle if you pump less frequently. My dd just turned 1 year and I still pump 2-3x since I am bringing home less for her.

CEVmommy 10-12-2009 08:06 AM

I started pumping and using a bottle at 4 weeks, just 2 oz every other day or so, just to keep dd used to the bottle. I never made a freezer stash. I just pump today at work what dd will eat tomorrow at daycare. I had a freezer stash last time and never used it, so this time I haven't bothered. It helps to have a caregiver who doesn't overfeed the baby. I send two bottles per day (3 oz each) and some days she only uses one bottle, so I freeze the second in ice cube trays (1 oz portions).

Ready2Bmommy 10-12-2009 12:47 PM

I started around 3 weeks. I didn't pump much then, but maybe once a day for a while.

sbolen 10-12-2009 01:50 PM

I actually never used my freezer stash with DD1 either, but she was only in daycare for about 5 months. I don't mind pumping 3x a day at work at first but would like to cut down to 2 a day once future DD2 is 9 months. It just got to be too much after a while with DD1.

meeshkasheeba 10-15-2009 09:41 AM

My LC at the hospital said 2 weeks is the prime time to start pumping if you are going to want to have the extra milk while feeding the baby also. I did get a good supply by pumping one side while he ate on the other and I didn't have a ridiculous supply increase and he has been able to go from breast to bottle very easily.

wlillie 10-15-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeshkasheeba (Post 8650635)
My LC at the hospital said 2 weeks is the prime time to start pumping if you are going to want to have the extra milk while feeding the baby also. I did get a good supply by pumping one side while he ate on the other and I didn't have a ridiculous supply increase and he has been able to go from breast to bottle very easily.

ITA

sbolen 10-15-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeshkasheeba (Post 8650635)

Did you baby eat from both sides each time? If so, did you pump before baby ate from that side or after? With DD1, she always ate from each side each feeding.