Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Deceptively Delicous (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=854825)

NimblePhish 10-15-2009 08:09 AM

Deceptively Delicous

Has anyone tried it? I've done a couple recipes and the turned out great. I want to try them all so I am stocking up on vegies soon to make a bunch of purees and freeze them. Is any tips on making the purees? I don't have a steamer, but I have a steamer basket and I was wondering if it's okat to use frozen fruits and vegies as well, things like broccoli and berries are much cheaper frozen.
Thanks
Naomi

pbresolin 10-15-2009 08:38 AM

Re: Deceptively Delicous

I have tried a couple too and so far so good. I don't have a food processor or blender so I'm having a hard time with the purees too. I have substituted canned pumpkin for the squashes and I think using frozen veggies would be just fine to use. I use the frozen organic fruits. Hope you get some more info. I need a way to make the purees. I guess I'm going to have to get a hand blender. Which recipes have you tried that turned out good?

blackbirdmama*3 10-15-2009 08:38 AM

I love it! I steam in my steamer basket and I do use frozen and fresh they both work well. I had trouble with the mozarella stix with cauliflower and the grilled cheese with butternut squash. The stix didn't hold together and my kiddos didn't like the grilled cheese because it was kind of runny. I decreased the amount of puree in the grilled cheese and they liked it better. Let me know if you get these to work as I would like to make them!

blackbirdmama*3 10-15-2009 08:39 AM

I use a blender for my purees. Made baby food the same way too!!

benjaminsmom 10-15-2009 06:38 PM

I love it! We roast our yams and squash whole in the oven, then it is easy to just mash with a potato masher. Love the pancakes with yams and cinnamon! Sooo good! You can use fresh or frozen veggies, whatever is easiest for you. I would likely have a hard time without a food processor or blender for most of the purees. We love using our rice cooker or the steamer basket from our pots in a pinch. Sneaky chef has some good recipes too, but I don't like how she mixes all her purees, so I just improvise a lot with hers, LOL.

velcromom 10-15-2009 08:06 PM

I haven't seen it, but I have been adding pureed cooked, unseasoned beans (pinto, white or black) to baked goods since I was pg and learned about black bean brownies.

grady&finnsmom 10-16-2009 11:12 AM

I've really want to buy this book. I saw it a few weeks ago for $8 and I should have picked it up. I love the idea of putting the veggies into the whole meal... not only for the benefit for my LOs, but for my DH and myself as well.

I have a basket steamer, but would love to find a steamer at a garage sale. It's one of those things I can't justify paying the full amount for-considering how much I think I would use it.

For those of you with the book, have you found it helpful to steam and puree the veggies ahead and then freeze them for a different day? What veggies in particular do the recipes call for?

keonli 10-16-2009 11:24 AM

My sister purchased the book for me. To be honest, I think we could have survived without the book. YOu can use any recipe and slip in some yummy veggie purees.

I incorporate actual vegetables into all my cooking but on days when I know my son won't stand for it, I do add some puree. I steam and puree all in one day and usually make enough to last all month.

The book uses (sorry I can't list them all because I don't have the book on hand):

butternut squash
carrots
spinach
cauliflower

and a few others. For baking, it appears that she likes to add butternut squash and when she makes her own ketchup, she adds carrots.

I can update more when I have the book in front of me.

KaiyaSue 10-16-2009 11:46 AM

I have the book and like the baked goods recipes the best. I often just shred the veggies with a box grader if I don't feel like making the purees. Works well for carrots, zucchini and stuff like that. I don't precook them either but when you are baking something for awhile it turns out fine usually. (Think about regular carrot cake or zucchini bread.) I agree that roasting and mashing yams or whatever usually works pretty well too if you don't have a blender. Though I really love my food processor and use it for tons of things.

I also liked the meatballs from the spaghetti pie. The pie itself was just ok, but the meatballs were great on their own.

Another idea I love for getting extra fruits/veggies in my tot is green smoothies. I blend up frozen or fresh fruit (blueberries are great), a banana, water, honey (or agave) in my blender and then add a handfull or two of baby spinach. You can't taste the greens, only the fruit. My LO drinks one a several times a week for breakfast. DH and I love them too.

pbresolin 10-16-2009 03:17 PM

I wanted to add that the recipe for doughnuts is awesome and I used all canned pumpkin in mine. :thumbsup: