Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Who here lets their school age child have a little freedom? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=855996)

Nanner99 10-16-2009 07:41 PM

Who here lets their school age child have a little freedom?

I have decided to just put my mommy fears aside and give my 9 yr old dd a little more freedom. I read some things that made me think about how we always keep our kids so sheltered these days and yet the incidents of abduction have actually gone down. And yet, I have a feeling there are parents out there looking at my dd walking to the local store thinking WTH? b/c there are so few kids walking/riding bikes without their parents right there.

Am I the only one who has decided to allow my school age child a little freedom?

boy-oh-boy 10-16-2009 07:55 PM

Re: Who here lets their school age child have a little freedom?

Our 10 yo just started getting some more freedom this last spring (when he was still 9). He started getting to ride his bike across the neighborhood to go to cub scouts. And then he's gotten to ride freely around the neighborhood as long as he had a companion - usually a friend from up the street (whom he is no longer allowed to play with as he's been outed for smoking with those friends!) or a cousin. I don't think DH is ready to let him leave the neighborhood on his own, but I wouldn't be either. The boy isn't fully aware of his surroundings most of the time :giggle:

nakedbabytoes 10-16-2009 07:56 PM

Nope. You're not. We just moved in May to a new neighborhood. THE reason we bought the house we did was for our 8yo son. There were no kids in our old neighborhood and the elem. school was on a busy street. We searched & searched for a house that was in a kid friendly neighborhood with a school located within it. Parks surround our 2x3 block area, so it's very small feeling.
We live about 8 blocks from school, which is just on the other side of the park. We bought our son a cell phone for safety & knowing where he is.
He has a great time with his new found freedom! He goes to buddies houses or to the parks or enjoys the local trails. I think it's great! He has grown so much this past summer. And he appreciates his freedom!
I have yet to allow him to take the trail to the gas station by the golf course, even though there are 2 tunnels going under streets, I still worry too much about him choosing badly about traffic or strangers. Maybe next year. With freedom comes great responcibility!

WhatWasIThinking 10-16-2009 08:27 PM

MIL's goddaughter was almost abducted a few years ago (the guy had ahold of her and was pulling her into the car when a police car came aorund the cornor) so I am still pretty leery. They are only allowed out in groups!

flynnsmom 10-16-2009 08:36 PM

Most kids in my neighborhood ride their bikes around, go to the local stores, etc. without parent supervision. We live in a small town and I teach at the school down the street.

foxygoober 10-16-2009 08:41 PM

We live in the country. . .however as a child we lived in Torrance, California . . .and my mom would let me ride my bike around the neighborhood visiting friends and walk/ride my bike to school on my own. . .looking back I'd be scared to do that knowing what I know now. . .

~happy2Bamommy~ 10-16-2009 09:10 PM

Freedom as in picking how they want their hair cut? yes.

Freedom to go into a store alone or go walking alone? Nope.

We do live in a rural area,actually a pretty quite area at the moment. I love it here but they will not ride a bike to the local gas station (we only have one) until they are probably 16 or so? About the time they can drive I guess will be the time for me to start the process on releasing them a little bit more.

It is not that I do not trust my girls. I do. However,I was preyed upon as a child so do not trust those that may pass my child while she is alone at the store or riding her bike.

~happy2Bamommy~ 10-16-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanner99 (Post 8664643)
I have decided to just put my mommy fears aside and give my 9 yr old dd a little more freedom. I read some things that made me think about how we always keep our kids so sheltered these days and yet the incidents of abduction have actually gone down. And yet, I have a feeling there are parents out there looking at my dd walking to the local store thinking WTH? b/c there are so few kids walking/riding bikes without their parents right there.

Am I the only one who has decided to allow my school age child a little freedom?

Did you mean that the incidents of abduction have gone down or up since children became more sheltered?

bethsflutterby 10-16-2009 09:19 PM

eh...no way I'd let my kids out of my line of sight...especially at 8-10 years old.

if it means I am sheltering my kids by not letting them walk to a local store by themselves where any Tom, you-(don't) know-who, and Harry are shopping....then I'm a HAPPY SHELTERING momma ;)

tallanvor 10-16-2009 10:16 PM

In Alaska she could go further than here. In Vegas she can go to the next cul-de-sac to a specific friend's house, if she asks first. Our cul-de-sac is so short and the lots so tiny that it is about equal to a block to go around the corner. In Alaska she was allowed to walk the half mile to the charter school. But she called when she got there and called before she left. I knew how long it would take her to walk home, so if I didn't get a call or she didn't show up I would know when to go looking for her. The kids are allowed to play in our cul-de-sac pretty much whenever. I don't let them go out of the yard after dark, though, unless there is an adult out there.

For us, it is about where we live. When we go visit my in-law's in Michigan the kids have more freedom because it is a safer area.