Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   HELP! Potty Learning! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85644)

loni1090 01-15-2007 07:19 PM

HELP! Potty Learning!

I was always told CD'ing helped a baby PL faster. Well, my DS just turned 4 and I have yet to PL him.
I know ppl say that he will tell you when he is ready, but I really want to get him into preschool in the fall and I thought I had better get working on him soon.
He is also speech delayed, so that is a big reason it has taken so long to teach him.
Any suggestions? Please!!!

jls~Kain~Drake 01-16-2007 07:51 AM

Re: HELP! Potty Learning!

I hate for this to go unanswered, but I really have no words of wisdom. My son will be 3 at the end of the month and has been fully potty-learned since July. He doesn't have any delays though (not saying he's better, just saying we didn't have any obstacles). One thing that made a HUGE difference with him was giving him all the control. He started to PL in April, but he wasn't fully into it..so I got frustrated. I was trying to control 1/2 of it and push him into it. He stopped and refused to do anything that resembled being PL'd. Then, in July, I was talking to my grandma on the phone and talking about how he knows HOW to go, WHEN to go, WHAT to do, but he just WON'T go. He just refuses. He hadn't made that decision yet. Anyway, I went on and on about how much he knew, just wouldn't go (and I was changing his diaper at the time- so he could hear me - wasn't an intention of mine, but I think it helped!)...as soon as I hung up with my grandma, he requested underwear and has been in them ever since. Any time we asked or told him to go to the bathroom, he'd resist and put up a fight...but if id suggest it and tell him it was his decision, he could do it or not..whatever....he'd go. It made all the difference in the world, for us, to hand him the reigns.

I realize that this may not help, but it's our PL'ing story :)

Good luck mama!

ebutterfly782 01-16-2007 08:09 AM

Are there signs for using the potty? If he doesn't speak very well yet, could that be an option? Or if the signs are too difficult, come up with your own. A woman that I work with, her grandson is well over 3 and still not done PL. He can speak fine though. He still wakes up from the night soaking wet. Does your DS still wake up wet from the night? I remember that when we started PLing DS, he would wake up dry from the night on most mornings. Just something that you might want to think about.

Hitchkids 01-16-2007 08:34 AM

My experience with 4 boys has been that it can take some of them a long time. All 3 of our older boys were pretty darn close to 4 before everything totally clicked and we had no further potty issues. Right now number 4 is working on potty training and the one thing we did differently was pretty much leaving it up to him. He is 3 and is making much more progress than his brothers ever did at his age. WE bought lots of underpants and pulled out the training pants from his big brothers. MIL heard we were encouraging him so she sent underwear for Christmas. Sounds strange but that is always a big hit. We got out the potty movie and DH put it on at least once a day. Asked him a few times if he had to go and then left him alone. He's doing great suddenly. Wakes up every morning and puts underwear on and actually stays dry. I wouldn't push too hard. My mom tried to help while we were visiting and tried to shame him into using the potty, griping at him, telling him he was too old for diapers, blah, blah. Needless to say it did nothing but help. Just don't understand what she was thinking. I would personally just keep it casual for a few more weeks and see what happens. And throw a huge party when he does actually go. Good luck.

FancifulFanny 01-16-2007 08:47 AM

I was going to suggest the movie or some books - or whatever form of media he likes best.
My son is just over two and I think he's heading towards PL'ing but he is with a little girl two days a week that we babysit for and she is PL'ing and that has been the biggest help. When she goes potty we ALL go potty.:lostit:

MommaRhi 01-16-2007 08:50 AM

set a timer and every 15 mins, put him on the toilet. When he finally goes, make a pee pee party out of it! I offer 1 small piece of candy when ds goes. He will be 3 in May and I just signed him up for 2 day preschool as well. He needs to be trained by August to go or I lose my $78 deposit. That alone is a push for me! lol

Mom2TJ 01-16-2007 01:10 PM

We are pl'ing our 3-year-old right now.

I kept insisting that he wasn't ready and I wasn't going to push him. Well, my mom put him in underwear when she had him for the day and he's only had a few accidents since (this was two weeks ago). I was afraid to do undies, but I think that alone is helping him remember to go pee pee in the potty.

It's not foolproof though...he peed on my living room carpet after lunch. :yuck: I ran him to the potty where he pooped...first time without me pleading with him! :thumbsup:

We've been using a little bribery: he's been earning small toys for dry days and for trying to do poopie on the potty. He did NOT get a prize for peeing on my floor.

GL! I can't wait until we are through this process!

loni1090 01-16-2007 02:35 PM

Thanks for everyone's help.
I just had a meeting with the special ed group and they want him in a half day program (3 hours a day) with 3 other boys his age.
The best part is he does not have to be PL. That is the big relief. I thought he was not going to get to go to school because of the PL issue.
3 out of the 4 boys (my DS included) are not PL so hopefully as they go through speech, they can get PL'd together.
Best part is this is all free from the state.

I have bought him tons of special undies, which he loves, but it is not enough incentive to PL.
I probably have to bribe him though with small toys. He gets special smelly stickers when he does something good, but I think PL needs more incentive :)
Thanks for the advice and listening to my gripe.:hugegrin:

SandyG 01-16-2007 03:07 PM

david is also speehc delayed
the only thing that worked for us is me taking him every 2hrs to potty
now at almost 4 i still gotta tell him to go pee lol
it was hard for him though
and yes i was gonna tell youthat if he has dev delays if he goes to specail program thru the state he doenst have to be PL. david didnt have to :D

rowynne 01-16-2007 04:57 PM

My 2nd dd has ADHD & she was almost 4 before she was totally PL too. My oldest PL at 2.5yrs, hoping Sofia will be as easy as she was! I've never had 2 in diapers at one time before & I dont want to try it, LOL!