Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sorry, I know this has been covered.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8607)

SheilaJoy 05-25-2006 02:22 AM

Sorry, I know this has been covered....

but I really need reassurance. With all four of my other dc, I started solids at 4 months, just like the books say to do (or they did then, now they say 6 months). Anyway, at 6 months I fed dd some solids, but she absolutely hated it. Now she's 7 months and I haven't fed her solids in like 3 weeks.

It's hard to get past the mindset that she's going to starve or isn't getting enough nutrients. It seems silly because she is eliminating just fine. But I just need reassurance that I don't need to feed her solids right now! Tell me when you guys started!

Hayley 05-25-2006 02:29 AM

Re: Sorry, I know this has been covered....

My son was the same way and still is. some days (he is 10 months) he eats half a jar of solid and some he eats 3 jars. but there have been MANY days he ate nothing other then breast milk. My dr. said that breast feed babies sometimes have a hard time with the diff. textures and will thrust out the food rather eat it. So i would pinch Noah's cheeks together like a fish and shove it in. (this was the only way to get him to keep it in.) I did that for 3 months until he finally decided he liked it! I felt like I was force feeding him. But I felt the same way WORRIED out of my mind! I am a first time mom and was so concerned. Don't worry just talk to your ped.
are you breast feeding?
Hope this helps!
Hayley

SheilaJoy 05-25-2006 02:33 AM

Thanks, Haley. Yes, I am bfing, and this is actually my first time successfully bfing so I don't have prior experience with this. She definitely seems more satisfied after eating than my other dc did with bottles.

My ped is very mainstream and so I don't really trust her with this issue. She already told me to start solids at 6 months (our relationship isn't the same ever since I told her I wasn't vaxing anymore). But, if dd is getting more nutrients through breastmilk than she would be with solids, I would rather just continue nursing for awhile.

riandkymommy 05-25-2006 10:09 AM

Kyla is 8 1/2 months and just now started eating solids on a regular basis! She so did not want them earlier! Our dr was also very "concerned" that she wasn't eating, saying she needed the cereal for iron etc. She is fine and she still won't eat cereal! Your babe will eat when she is ready! I know lots of mamas who don't feed solids for the first year and their babes are fine and healthy!

Congrats on your successful breastfeeding relationship!!! And trust your gut. Your DD is wonderful! I promise! :thumbsup:

Samantha 05-25-2006 10:54 AM

My DD didnt start eating solids until a year. At that time she was "ready" and she started eating them very regularly. *and she went straight to table food, we dont have any allergies in the family so we werent REALLY strict on making sure we only fed one thing for a week or whatever*

She was always healthy and her iron levels were ALWAYS JUST FINE!

IMHO until a year any solid food is just "practice" (IF you are nursing)

I plan on doing the same with the new baby as I did with my DD. Of course if he WANTS it I wont deny him...but, if he doesnt WANT it...then I am not going to force him.

wbkt8 05-25-2006 11:00 AM

we first offered solids to molly at about 6 months but she was NOT interested at all. so i would offer just when i thought about it - which worked out to once a week or less. then around 9 months or so, we started offering her table food (cut small) and she was much more interested in that. she still doesn't eat a ton but it's very gradually increased. and only since about 15 months or so has she really started taking any noticeable amount of her nutrition from solids. and even now she still has days where she doesn't eat much and just nurses.

i think the important thing is just to offer her opportunities to try solids/textures and when she's ready she'll eat them.

:hugs: you're doing great.

Being Molded 05-25-2006 12:05 PM

My youngest is 9 months and is still exclusively breastfed. We've tried some mashed bananas and potatoes a few times here and there but nothing regular(mainly giving into the pressure of her "needing it"). I'm now really leaning towards waiting until that year mark, but am just taking it one day at a time right now.

Your milk is God's perfect food for your baby! As long as she is healthy and active and filling those diapers you know she's fine! Don't worry about the books, or the doctors, or even what your mom and MIL say! (talking to myself here) Do what you feel is best for your baby and do it with your head held high:mrgreen:

SheilaJoy 05-25-2006 12:31 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I feel a lot better! :goodvibes:

jls~Kain~Drake 05-25-2006 04:47 PM

I'm not breastfeeding (though I wish I was), just wanted to chime in....I started ds1 when my mainstream ped told me to (and not only did he say they normally start at 4mo, but since my ds was so big..he'd need solids earlier...so i started familiarizing him with the spoon @ 2mo :yuck: )

Anyway, ds2 had no interest at 4mo...5mo...finally showed interest at 6mo..then he got real sick and lost interest until about 8mo and he didn't want baby food at all....he'll spit baby food out...he wants table food and at 9mo he can eat pretty much anything his 2yo bro can eat.

aschrimp 05-26-2006 02:44 AM

My ds is 8.5 mos old, eats basically no solids, and is 27 lbs (growing out of his 24 mos clothes). He was 22 lbs at his 6 mo checkup, so has gained 5 lbs in 2.5 months on nothing to speak of other than breastmilk.

He likes to eat cheerios some days, and I just let him play with bananna the other day. I actually didn't see any go in, but there was enough in the diaper today that I am sure he ate some, just not sure when. I have made and frozen some veggies for him, but he doesn't care much for them (and I absolutely do not believe in forcing babies to eat), so we have a bunch of ice cubes of pureed veggies and not much to do with them. We do continue to offer the veggies every so often

DS has some pretty serious food sensitivities, and I am on a very restricted diet. Because of this, we decided to take solids very slowly. At this point, he will probably go straight to table foods, which will be great - less work for me! :)