Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   When your baby is sick (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86115)

pinkflamingos77 01-16-2007 02:03 PM

When your baby is sick

with diarrhea and puking. what do you give them to help it?

Thank you!

loni1090 01-16-2007 02:43 PM

Re: When your baby is sick

You and your poor child...
You just need to keep him hydrated. Both my DS never liked pedialyte, or the pedialyte pops. I always gave Gatorade. But don't give red gatorade. It stains. Even if they keep throwing it up, some of it will be absorbed. So don't stop giving them electrolyte drinks.
I had friend's kids end up in the hospital because of dehydration.
Good luck! It should last a few days. Donovan only lasted 24 hours. Alex lasted 3 days :yuck:

pinkflamingos77 01-16-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loni1090 (Post 639314)
You and your poor child...
You just need to keep him hydrated. Both my DS never liked pedialyte, or the pedialyte pops. I always gave Gatorade. But don't give red gatorade. It stains. Even if they keep throwing it up, some of it will be absorbed. So don't stop giving them electrolyte drinks.
I had friend's kids end up in the hospital because of dehydration.
Good luck! It should last a few days. Donovan only lasted 24 hours. Alex lasted 3 days :yuck:

I feel horrible for her! She was sick yesterday. She won't drink her formula. She tried again this morning but she puked it up a couple minutes after finshing it. After that I decided she does not need any. I have been giving pedialyte.. She is not to find of it. I will try gatorade. Thanks!

loni1090 01-16-2007 10:10 PM

Another one to try is the Gerber Electrolyte. Donovan seemed to tollerate that better than Pedialyte. And the Walgreens brand electrolyte popsicles. I tried those and they aren't too bad either

Good luck and I will pray for a fast recovery!

pinkflamingos77 01-16-2007 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loni1090 (Post 641296)
Another one to try is the Gerber Electrolyte. Donovan seemed to tollerate that better than Pedialyte. And the Walgreens brand electrolyte popsicles. I tried those and they aren't too bad either

Good luck and I will pray for a fast recovery!

We all have came down with whatever it is she has. It has been a rough last few hrs. Thank you for all your suggestions and help.

RobinOK 01-17-2007 11:10 AM

Here is what the pedi told us when my 4 year old and 7 month old had it:

Try to wait an hour after throwing up and then give pedialyte or Gatorade. Start with 1 teaspoon. If they can tolerate that after 20 minutes give them another. If they keep that down you can increase to 2 teaspoons. Then basically 1 oz of liquid every 15-20 minutes. Put a piece of kleenex in the front of the diaper so you can tell if they are urinating. They need to urinate at least 3-4 times a day when sick.

For the diarrhea you can do the BRATs diet - banana's, rice, applesauce (no sugar), and toast. You can also do bland food like mashed potatoes. No dairy like milk or cheese but you can do plain yogurt. No meats for at least 24 hours.

Shyla 01-17-2007 11:13 AM

My pediatriciton gives me this green medication to give them and it helps them stop throwing up. Im not sure what age she started giving it to them at but it was a life saver for me Puke is the one thing I really cannot handle oh and bloody noses (any other kind of blood I can deal but not noses it has to do with my childhood) anyhow I try to keep them well hydrated and as comfy as I can.

MommaRhi 01-17-2007 08:59 PM

shyla, is it phenegran?