Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Breaking nurse to sleep habits (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86381)

mrsott 01-16-2007 10:53 PM

Breaking nurse to sleep habits

How have you mammas done this?? Baby will be a year in :cry: 4 days and still nurses to sleep EVERY time... how do you get DC to go to sleep on their own? And stay asleep??!?

CourtneyinAlaska 01-16-2007 11:00 PM

Re: Breaking nurse to sleep habits

Heck if I know. We are still doing it nearly 18mo later. :lostit:

mississippimommy 01-16-2007 11:01 PM

:yeahthat:

mrsott 01-16-2007 11:04 PM

LOL I sent DH to put her to sleep, but so far no luck :(

Shanna 01-16-2007 11:09 PM

I'm there right now at 20 months! I do know that they will grow out of it, and will grow into sleeping through the night... eventually.

With DS 3-1/2, I still 'snuggle' him to sleep most nights, but he's a "big boy" now and sometimes will go to sleep on his own. So, that's where I'm going w/ DD 20mo too. the last few nights I have nursed her for a little while, I tell her one more minute, then unlatch. She crys and pouts, and stands up, and signs milk. But basically I just cuddle/pat her bottom and in a little bit she gives in and snuggles. I guess she figures it's better to snuggle Mommy then nothing!

Two nights now, and it's working. She's still crying, but not for long. I think she "gets it" a little. And that's one up side to this age. She understands when I say 'one more minute'. I know other Moms who have done something similar by limiting nursing to daylight hours.

Good Luck Mama!

ShayneLeMaster 01-16-2007 11:17 PM

lol. . I was hoping to get some great advice on this topic becuase I will soon be in this same boat.. lol and basically there is no end in sight lol..

mrsott 01-16-2007 11:21 PM

while I am sleepy everyday b/ cof cosleeping and NTS, the nights when I put her to sleep in her crib, I feel empty and cant fall asleep that well... I feel comfy w/ her w/ me... DH is the one pushing it, and I feel when she understands more about rules and things, she will go to sleep fine... you cant understand a one year old to go to sleep on her own after being nursed her whole life...she wont understand why you are doing this to her... but with an older child, they are better able to understnad what older babies do... KWIM???

Mommy2JJ 01-16-2007 11:28 PM

My ds is almost 18 months and still nurses to sleep all the time. My dh gets frustrated when I am gone at bedtime (which isn't much) that he can't put him to sleep and comfort him.....we are going to start a transition into his own room, but I will still nurse him to sleep there and he can get up and sleep with us whenever he wants.....I have told dh we can try and see how it goes but I will NOT make him sleep there and I plan to nurse him to sleep until he can put himself to sleep or better understand that he doesn't "need" to nurse to go to sleep....so I'd guess around 2ish??

It's hard to be the only one to be able to put dc to sleep but I think my ds still needs the nursing to sleep part so to me it's worth it!

Lmakes5 01-17-2007 12:09 PM

With my oldest he nursed to sleep until he was 26-27 months old. I was 7-8 months PG at the time w/#2 and he just gradually stopped asking. If he didn't ask, either I or DH would rock him to sleep and it was a pretty easy transition. It was also the last nusing session he gave up so it's not like it was night weaning, just final weaning. With DS#2, he stopped going to sleep at the breast at about 3 months old and I would just nurse him and then lay him down and he would go to sleep. Same w/DD so I've not had to deal w/this for a few years.

Hitchkids 01-17-2007 01:22 PM

Honestly, when my husband is around for bedtime, he can get just about any kid to sleep in a snap. He puts them in a sling and walks with them and lowers his own blood pressure so that it slows his heart rate and settle the child down. They fall instantly to sleep. My 9 yr old seems to have a knack for doing the same thing. If I'm terribly frazzled during the day and nothing else will settle the baby down, I can give her to her big brother and he can often get her to sleep. It's magic. But I realize this is somewhat of a special skill that most people don't have mastered. Wish I did.