Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Earcheck monitor (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86577)

dluciew 01-17-2007 11:53 AM

Earcheck monitor

I posted on off topic but I think it belongs here. This is a thing to detect ear infections. Does anyone have it? Do you recommend it? My son last night was really fussing and crying while he was nursing. He just got his two top teeth and the had a fever of 101 two days ago but no fever now. Could it be an ear infection or do you think it's just teething?

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=183658&previousURI=/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/search?ActiveCat=499^Query=earcheck

dluciew 01-17-2007 07:22 PM

Re: Earcheck monitor

:bumpsign:

tessa1002 01-17-2007 07:45 PM

:popcorn: I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully someone responds!

mom2kdmb 01-17-2007 08:13 PM

my dd hasn't had an ear infection but I remember when my ds's would get them, they would pull on their ears and cry, cry cry!
I never knew what their temp was cause I'm not a temp taker. I just knew they had a fever, which is a symptom something else is going on that might need treatment. I wouldn't worry about it since the fever is gone now. Most ear infections clear up on their own anyway.
Oh, and my dd does feel feverish when she's teething.

mom2kailinconnor 01-17-2007 08:35 PM

:popcorn: Ds is prone to getting ear infections!!

janelyb 01-17-2007 09:59 PM

I'd be hesitant to buy that.....only because I wonder how reliable they are??? For me those ear thermometers never give an accurate reading. I think with something that goes in the ear you have to position it just right and if you push too hard you may cause damage. Our ENT always says never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear.

Now I just bought a new thermometer that you swipe across the forehead and I was skeptical of that too but so far it is working great and actually more and more doctors are using the one I got.

For me I'd rather have a doctor diagnois an ear infection. For us I know my son always gets a fever of 101 and is just plan not feeling well....

Here is what Dr Sears says about ear infections:
EIGHT MAIN SYMPTOMS OF AN EAR INFECTION
Your child may have 2 or more of these symptoms:

Cold symptoms keep in mind that ear infections are almost always preceded by a cold. Often a clear runny nose will turn yellow or green before an ear infection sets in.
Fussiness during the day or night
Complaining of ear pain or hearing loss
Night-waking more frequently
Unwillingness to lie flat
Fever usually low grade (101 - 102); may not have a fever.
Sudden increase in fussiness during a cold
Ear drainage if you see blood or pus draining out of the ear, then it is probably an infection with a ruptured eardrum. DON'T WORRY! These almost always heal just fine, and once the eardrum ruptures the pain subsides.
YOUR CHILD IS UNLIKELY TO HAVE AN EAR INFECTION IF:
1. No cold symptoms if your child has some of the above symptoms but does not have a cold, an ear infection is less likely, unless your child has had an ear infection in the past without a cold.

2. Pulling at the ears or batting the ears in infants less than 1 year of age. Infants less than one are unable to precisely localize their ear pain. This means that they cannot tell that the pain is coming from the ear or from structures near the ear. Infants can pull on or bat at their ears for two other common reasons:

Teething Baby thinks the pain from sore gums is coming from the ears
Because they like playing with their ears Infants are fascinated with these strange appendages that are sticking out of the side of their head. They love to explore them, play with them, and especially to stick their finger into that strange hole in the middle.
3. No complaints of ear pain in a child who is old enough to tell you, usually by age two or three.

and Teething:
HOW CAN I TELL IF IT'S AN EAR INFECTION OR JUST TEETHING?
Are you tired of taking your fussy baby into the doctor just to check her ears, only to be told its probably just teething? TO help you decide, with teething:

Pain usually starts at four months of age and will come and go until the two-year molars are in.
Tugging or digging at the ears with no cold symptoms or fever
Fussiness or night waking with no cold symptoms or fever
May have low fever less than 101
Teething does not cause a runny nose, only drool.