Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Newborn Pockets question - BG's and FB's (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8662)

lots2learn 05-25-2006 08:42 AM

Newborn Pockets question - BG's and FB's

Totally don't have a baby on the way (yet!!) but I am trying to think ahead. I am a die hard FB user for my toddler and only starting CDing after he was 1. Does it make sense at all to use pocket diapers for a newborn? And if it does, should I convert my stash to BG's and use them for Ian now and then for a newborn when the time comes? Or do small FB's work for a newborn? Tell me what you think!! Thanks so much.

Raquelita 05-25-2006 08:55 AM

Re: Newborn Pockets question - BG's and FB's

Small FB fit my DS fine when he was 10 lbs. (that's when i got them...they probably would have fit him at 9 lbs. too but not much smaller). Although BG *say* they can fit from 6 lbs., i'm skeptical as the smallest fit is like a S FB on my DS. So i guess it depends on what size babies you have!

lots2learn 05-25-2006 09:01 AM

That's what I figured. DS was 6 lbs 13 oz when he was born - but who knows what will happen next time around!

cblurose 05-25-2006 09:08 AM

Newborns poop ALOT in case you don't remember. :giggle:
I hope you have alot of fuzzibunz.
I have always found prefolds and covers to be the easiest even at night since I was up feeding and changing most of the night also.
I don't think I started using fuzzibunz until 2 or 3 months or when baby started sleeping longer at night.
Proraps, bummis or something similar that could even be hand washed if a little poo got on it if I needed something in a pinch.
Newborns easily poo on 6-8 covers a day so you either have to have ALOT of diapers/covers or be washing often.
Just a little info. from me....

MammaGehl 05-25-2006 09:14 AM

Small FBs are the only pocket that has worked for me -- although I am still waiting to try the bg. I love the fb though, I stuff it with an infant prefold and he can go forever in it. It is pretty bulky though, so I have only been putting them on him at night (and we don't have that many) but I have heard that if you trim part of the prefold off it works really well since you don't have to fold it over to fit it in the pocket. Now I just need to get my hands on a serger...

We started using them around 10 lbs too, but I am sure they would have fit earlier if I had just tried them on him...

lovemygirls 05-25-2006 09:40 AM

I found that the small fb's didn't work well for my dd, she ALWAYS leaked out of them. I then converted over to prefolds and couldn't be happier. My dd is now 5 mos. and all the fb's that we had are now sold off.

lots2learn 05-25-2006 10:06 AM

Okay - all things I think I knew already! But, I'll admit it, I'm afraid of prefolds!!!!!!!!! There, I said it.

cblurose 05-25-2006 10:08 AM

Why are you afraid of prefolds?
Let this prefold addicted mama help you. :hugegrin:

lots2learn 05-25-2006 11:38 AM

I don't even know where to start!!!
I really like how easy my FB's are. I don't think I want to mess with wool and all of that - so what do I do? Wow - this thread is going OT quickly!!

cblurose 05-25-2006 12:12 PM

So is it safe to assume you don't use prefolds to stuff your fuzzibunz? ROFL

Sorry to make this OT but I'd really hate for you to be scared of prefolds.
They truely are a mama's best friend. ::snort::

Is it the folding?
I don't mess with wool at all.
I just use WAHM covers and prefolds.