Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Happy Healthy Family Habits (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869694)

Keropisunshine23 11-07-2009 08:15 PM

Happy Healthy Family Habits

I have had some inquires about my accountability tracker in my siggy and a few requests to start a thread where we can share our goals and desires of achieving a healthier lifestyle, so here it is! :ohyeah:

This thread is focused on creating a healthier more organized lifestyle for your household. It is also not based on any one method. This is a place to share ideas, come to for support, celebrate success, and have some accountability for our progress. You can choose your level of support, some of us need to check in everyone once in a while and some of us need pms if we haven't been posting.:giggle2:

Please tell us about yourself, your goals, your plan to achieve those goals and what kind of support you are looking for. I will start by posting about myself:thumbsup:

Keropisunshine23 11-07-2009 08:16 PM

Re: Happy Healthy Family Habits

My name is Summer. I have been married 8 years and I have three children. Kevin III (9), Kennyth (2), and Sofiya (8mon). I am an extremely anal person who has been accused of being OCD more than once.:giggle2: I however basically shut down when I walk into extreme chaos because I do not know where to begin. While pregnant with DS2, I was very sick and extremely tired and working 60 plus hours a week. My house fell apart because of course DH didn't pick up my "slack". I was starting to get organized again when I got pregnant with my DD. So after these last two pregnancies, my household developed many bad habits that have piled on top of each other, leaving me feeling overwhelmed and basically shutting down the minute I walk in the door.

I realized in May that I needed to make some changes and get our family back on track. I tried a few things and they seemed like they were working, but my job was getting in the way. I started adjusting my work schedule and finally decided I could not achieve my goals being in a salaried position. I now work 4 nine hour shifts so that I can have three days off. This schedule seems to be working for the most part.

Studies show that it takes 21 days to form a habit, so I am committing to trying this for 21 days and making adjustments after reviewing what is working and what isn't working.

My first goal is to create healthy family habits by using a daily ten and weekly ten list to help organize my household and remind everyone to be healthy. These lists include changes to our lifestyle that are long overdue. I think by making sure certain things are done everyday, I won't feel so overwhelmed when it comes to looking at the big picture. My son really needs this structure. I can see the changes in him over the past couple years and it is my job as a parent to get him back on track.

My second goal is to make some changes in my diet and activity level. I am not actively trying to lose weight, although I need to, but I do know I will feel better if I make some changes. With the daily ten, I will already be exercising my brain and my body, so for phase one of this goal, I will be cutting pop and processed junk food. (I can not give up freshly baked goodies at this time of year :blush: :giggle2:) I do accept it is healthy to be able to indulge every once in a while, so they idea is to learn control. I plan to cut all together for 21 days and then allow myself the items I love every once in a while, but not on an everyday basis.

So for my first goal, I spent this week creating a family center where we can keep our reward charts, calendar, and to do lists. I also edited my daily ten and weekly ten from a previous attempt. The only thing I have left to do is sit down with my son and write a "contract" so he understands what is required of each habit to earn his daily reward. He really enjoys video games and for the past year was not allowed to play during the week and often lost his playing time on the weekends. I want to take the approach of earning time instead of losing it. If he completes all his habits for the day, he will earn time the next day. He will have his own chart, but it coincides with the Family Daily Ten.

Kevin's Daily Habits
1. Be Nice (respectful, manners, etc...)
2. Personal Hygiene (Brush teeth, shower, clean clothes, etc...)
3. Exercise your body
4. Exercise your brain (including completing homework)
5. Take care of Pets
6. Prepare for tomorrow
7. Put away toys
8. Help out (with Family Daily and Weekly Ten)

Riley Daily Ten
1. Exercise our bodies
2. Exercise our brains
3. Prepare for tomorrow
4. Enjoy a family meal
5. Keep the living room/coffee table/ dining room table clean
6. Clean up after ourselves and help the small children do the same
7. Keep the sink empty (Dishes)
8. Sweep the main floors
9. Do one complete load of laundary
10. Work on at least one weekly task

Riley Weekly Ten
1. Clean up after Daisy
2. Take care of the yard
3. Garbages and recycle
4. Game room
5. Bathrooms
6. Bedrooms
7. Dining room
8. Kitchen
9. Room of the week
10 Family Fun Night

Here are some pics of how I organized the area (sorry, they aren't great.)

The whole area
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...ber2009002.jpg

Calendar
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...ber2009005.jpg

Kevin's reward chart
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...ber2009004.jpg

Daily/weekly ten board (Two days a week, my husband works 7-5 and I work 3 to midnight, so we do not see each other and we have a sitter come to our home, so this board will also serve as a message center to communicate dinner instructions, what is left for chores, and other memos.)
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...ber2009003.jpg

I am looking for an accountability buddy. Someone I can share my family's progress with and bounce ideas off of. I am willing to offer return support and offer accountability. :thumbsup:

lj2blessed 11-09-2009 09:08 AM

Here I am! :goodvibes:

I'm LJ, WOHM to 7 month old Faith and wife of 6 years to BigMac. We got married semi-young (22 & 21); and weren't very self disciplined about household things. We've got a babe in the mix now, so we really need to hunker down and "grow up" :blush:

Still developing my daily and weekly 10 lists...but I'm pretty sure that I want my 21 day habits to be 1) no fast food/eating out and 2) no non-budgeted spending. If we can stick to these two for the remainder of this month (coincidentally 21 days :giggle:); I think we can be very successful. We do so much better when we make it a "game" or something competitive, so maybe I'll set up the weekly/daily ten like that, too...got any ideas on how to make it deceptively "fun"???

krispy79 11-09-2009 10:05 AM

Hey Summer, saw the link in your siggy when you replied to my BF dilemma.

I'm Kristy and boy have I fallen off the discipline train over the past 18 months. Once I became pregnant my household fell apart. I was terribly tired the whole time, back issues, and morning sickness that lasted the 7 months. I didn't want to do a thing, no cleaning, no cooking, and certainly no exercise. 10 months after giving birth I'm still carrying around 20 of the 60lbs I gained while pregnant and my house always seems to be in shambles. I didn't come up with 10, but I do know the 6 things that have been neglected and have had a significant impact on my life and family.

1. We need to get back on a schedule or into a routine. Since returning to work things have been just crazy, I work very different hours now and it seems that it has thrown things totally out of wack. Generally I work Monday 10-6, every other Tuesday 10-6, Wednesday 12-10 or 10-8, and Thursday 10-6...Give or take an hour here and there. This schedule and leaving Dad to tend to the house a few more hours a week seems to just cause cahos. The biggest reason we need to get back into a routine is feeding, which leads me to my second goal...

2. Meal Planning. I used to plan every meal for everyday of the week. It made our lives so simple and kept hubby in the kitchen helping me out. When I was pregnant all I wanted were apple jacks and beef...not much planning there. We are getting better but it's just not the same. Soaring grocery bills because I just buy whatever with no set list, meals eaten at 8pm or not at all, and I have started feeding my son processed gerber graduate meals (which by the way he seems to hate) because we just don't know what our plan is until after his dinner time. This cannot be healthy for him physically or emotionally!

3. Get back on a Budget. Meal planning certainly helped our budget, my weekly grocery bill 12 months ago was about $50-$75, now it's $120 or more. And I have to stop the fluffy mail...Hello, I'm CDing to save money not spend more each week on more diapers I don't really need. So over the next 21 days I will NOT buy anything CD related (my husbands gonna love this) We have to stop the random shopping too, oh Target my friend and foe.

4. Declutter & ReOrganize. My house fell apart while pregnant, and having a new baby didn't make the mess any less. I have to get back into the habit of shredding my mail and not letting the laundry pile up. Any tips to get this done again would really really help. I have a cleaning schedule, but I just look at it and say "yup, didn't do that today"

5. Physical Activity. Now that DS is starting to walk he's giving me a real run for my money, and I am exhausted come 8pm. I need to shed these last 20 baby pounds and get more energy so I have to figure out a plan. I need to go down into the basement and clean up all the clutter off of the treadmill, bowflex, and other things so I can get my butt in gear. I need ideas on how to transform that room into a child friendly space so that I can do a little exercise while not feeling like I can only get in there during his nap time.

6. Oh this one has to stop...Sneaking Cigarettes. I went back to smoking now and then when my son was about 6 months old. Every once in a while when he wasn't around, and now that he is not breastfeeding I am buying cigarettes again. I sneak out on the deck at nap or bed time, I smoke on the days I don't have him at work with me, and of course I smoke while I am all alone. I don't know why I went back, but it seems to relieve the tension about all the other bad habits I've found.

So of course any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I need support to do this. My hubby is a slacker and only my motivation seems to motivate him, so I can't really rely on him for the motivation.

Keropisunshine23 11-09-2009 11:11 AM

Thanks for joining in mamas! I just hopped on real quick while nursing and of course did the e-mail and facebook first so I am out of time. :giggle2: I work tonight so I may or not make it back on today, but I will be sure to stop in and reread your goals tonight so I can better offer support.

So far, things are going well for us. I did forget and have a piece of chocolate at work last night:blush: but the daily ten went well. I got up at 8 this morning and already completed most of the list, so that is awesome. :yay: of course, it is still early in the game!

OK, I do have some thoughts on incentives, so I will be back, I need to walk up to my 9 year olds school and eat lunch with him now!

lj2blessed 11-09-2009 12:23 PM

Hi Kristy - I also really need to get a handle on the cleanliness of my house! This weekend I had company and BOY OH BOY I wasn't ready. But with my "crash cleaning" before they got here, odds and ends I did while they were here and a lil maintenance after they left - I really like the way my place looks and would love for it to look like that all the time! :blush: My husband also won't motivate me (except in a bully-ish way which I DETEST!!!); so if I start it off he will keep it going hopefully :yay:

Nice to have friends along the journey :hugs:

maureen73 11-09-2009 12:31 PM

I have three children ages 2, 3 and 4 and my DH is very obsessive about toys not being left out so I have been working on making the house more organized and the children are learning that all toys must be cleaned up before moving on to the "next thing".

Keropisunshine23 11-09-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj2blessed (Post 8841693)
Hi Kristy - I also really need to get a handle on the cleanliness of my house! This weekend I had company and BOY OH BOY I wasn't ready. But with my "crash cleaning" before they got here, odds and ends I did while they were here and a lil maintenance after they left - I really like the way my place looks and would love for it to look like that all the time! :blush: My husband also won't motivate me (except in a bully-ish way which I DETEST!!!); so if I start it off he will keep it going hopefully :yay:

Nice to have friends along the journey :hugs:

I know crash cleaning all too well.......... :mrgreen:

Keropisunshine23 11-09-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maureen73 (Post 8841771)
I have three children ages 2, 3 and 4 and my DH is very obsessive about toys not being left out so I have been working on making the house more organized and the children are learning that all toys must be cleaned up before moving on to the "next thing".

I have been working very diligently on having DS2 clean up toys before moving on to new ones. It has def made things easier for me

krispy79 11-09-2009 02:59 PM

Meal Planning started...or it will be next week. I coped out and instead of doing it myself I subscribed at e-mealz.com, I don't have the time and energy to put into doing the whole plan. For $5 a month I am willing to let someone else do all the organizing and grocery lists until I can get back into the swing of things.

Okay, So my declutter and organize phase has also started. Luckily I was able to use some time at work to do this and make it look like I was actually working :thumbsup:
I started out with a new cleaning list, that will hopefully simplify how chores are done around the house. I think its simple enough that DH can use it and its not so overwhelming everyday (baby steps). And, I know it will help to cut out some of the clutter issues.

Weekly Cleaning:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...c44c7f3a86.jpg

Monthly:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...c35b2f1b07.jpg
PS...I know poop patrol should be done more often, but our yard is just huge and we could easily spend a day each week just searching

Seasonal & Yearly:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...5ec0f6f5d3.jpg