Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Adoption! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87814)

homebirthbaby04 01-19-2007 07:13 PM

Adoption!

Hi Mommas! I was wondering if any of you had any advise on how to go about adopting. My dh and I have two wonderful children already, but we would love to adopt! This is the situation though, I don't vax and I treat most ailments homeopathically (is that a word?). I would also prefer a newborn. I want to do the best by this baby as possible by breastfeeding, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, and being attached. We don't have a lot of money, but my hope would be to find a soon-to-be momma that is in a situation that she cannot keep the baby. I've tried doing google searches for adoption in my area and I'm not coming up with much. Most adoptions I was finding were out of the country, older children and adoption fees are way beyond what we can afford. Anyway...input would be greatly appreciated. :hugegrin:

ElizabethAW 01-20-2007 12:46 PM

Re: Adoption!

I can't offer help, but I totally sympathize! We have two kids, and DH and I talk about adoption periodically. Money is really an issue. Isn't it horrible that there are children in orphanages (internationally) and great loving families, but the two can't be matched because of money and politics? Totally frustrating! I don't know much about it, other than internet searching and fantasizing, but it seems that newborns are usually only available in the U.S., and the cost is incredible. The international adoptions seem to often involve older babies and kids.

We'd be happy to adopt an older child, but it seems so terribly complicated and expensive. I hope someone else here will chime in with a success story!

Elizabeth

jenn5388 01-20-2007 05:01 PM

I wish you the best of luck..

From what I understand you gotta comply with the Adoption agency about Dr appts on time (including Vaxes) until the child is Legally and completely adopted which doesn't happen right away as you may or may not know, even if you get the child 2 minutes after he/she is born.

I don't know how you'd go about getting around the vaccinations. I wondered that myself, as I also don't vaccinate but figured that would probably come into play.. (I planned on Adoption before Having miranda)

If you are serious about this you might wanna call and email a couple places around you to see where they stand on that kind of stuff.. But from what i understand, you can't adopt if you don't do what they want you to do. they would probably see it as "neglect" *rolls eyes*

kkmoto 01-20-2007 05:06 PM

I would contact Adoption advocates internation.:thumbsup:

worldwarcaitlin 01-20-2007 06:28 PM

if you want a newborn you pretty much have to do domestic adoption. Get in touch with some agencies and they can explain the process to you. It's not cheap though. I was on the other side of an adoption (I was going to place my son) and the adoptive family was going to have to pay over $15k in medical bills & lawyer fees. Depending on the birthmom's wishes, you may have to pay even more than that (housing, travel costs if it is out of your area, etc etc)

ElizabethAW 01-20-2007 07:17 PM

The costs I've seen as estimates for domestic adoptions are in the $30,00 range. Yikes! I wish someone who couldn't keep her baby would just come offer me the chance to adopt him/her! I wish it were easier...

tomatojane 01-20-2007 09:02 PM

My husband and I are planning to adopt when our dd is a little older. We feel strongly that adopting older children is just as, if not more, important than adopting an infant. More of them are available and waiting for homes. Many of them have been in foster care for most of their lives and really need permanent homes. They need love, too! Just my opinion, :2cents:

Raquelita 01-22-2007 12:11 PM

Given the conditions you specified, foster-to-adopt is probably your best option b/c it is inexpensive. I don't know that you would end up with a newborn necessarily - and even if you did, it takes months for the baby to be officially 'adoptable' (vs. 'foster baby') - i am not sure how issues such as breastfeeding a foster baby are handled.

The type of adoption you describe - a private adoption or through an agency that connects you with a birth mom - are very expensive ($15,000-$20,000 i believe) and can take awhile.

I would encourage you to do reading and research on adoption. From what you wrote it sounds like a lot of the complexities of adopting aren't something you're familiar with, and the more you know the better it will be for your whole family :).