Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Knitting Needles on the Plane? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880826)

monatraix 11-26-2009 08:44 AM

Knitting Needles on the Plane?

Hi knitting mamas :)
I'm travelling on the plane soon (w/o the kids for the 1st time!!) and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to do some knitting.

I checked FAA's website and confirmed that knitting needles are permitted on the plane, but was wondering if there are any mamas here that had actually brought them on the plane?

Thank you so much! :)

Happy Thanksgiving :goodvibes:

Mothersweets 11-26-2009 11:08 AM

Re: Knitting Needles on the Plane?

Yes, I have brought knitting needles on several flights and have never been hasseled about it. Knitting on an airplane is great - it is easy to get so much done!

Chey 11-26-2009 06:43 PM

Oh cool. I am going to be on a long flight in a couple of weeks and will have many extra hands to hold the baby so I will get a chance to knit if I want. YAY.

tracysd 11-27-2009 09:50 AM

I have often wondered about taking knitting needles and crochet hooks, but have been scared to try. Thank you for posting this thread and for the response!

MrsStripe 11-27-2009 12:18 PM

I did a couple of years ago and it was just fine. It also gave me something to do while sitting waiting at the airport too because DH insists on getting there plenty early.

Scaethach 11-27-2009 01:03 PM

I have taken them and was hassled about circs. Crochet hooks and straight needles weren't a problem last time I took those. It was an international flight and was able to take them to the UK but I was hassled about bringing them home. I told them that the FAA showed I could have them and I'd been allowed on the first flight. They let me keep them but it stalled the whole line while they "checked regulations" etc. etc.

meredithparker 11-27-2009 01:48 PM

I've heard that they don't like circs even though the FAA says they're okay. It's kind of ridiculous.

On one knitter's blog, she took bamboo needles on a plane...and the other passenger's hassled her about them. Apparently, they thought the needles might slip from her hands and impale someone (or something to that effect). It was bizarre. Though, there was that 20/20 special about the lady that got stabbed in the heart with a knitting needle (she tripped on a step at a friend's house and fell on it. And yes, she lived. The thing actually saved her life!).

Point being... I think you'll be fine to bring your needles and hooks onto the plane.

ELC Knits 11-27-2009 03:13 PM

You will USUALLY be okay with your needles, but however, it is recommended to have a self addressed stamped padded envelope large enough for your needles ready just incase security does not allow you to have them. They will allow you to mail them back to yourself but will not hold them for you or wait while you try and get them into luggage you have already checked. It is way better to be safe than sorry!!!

meredithparker 11-27-2009 11:47 PM

ELC Knits, the SASE is a REALLY good idea! I hadn't thought of that before. But that's a really smart way to save yourself a little hassle. :)

ELC Knits 11-28-2009 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meredithparker (Post 8979352)
ELC Knits, the SASE is a REALLY good idea! I hadn't thought of that before. But that's a really smart way to save yourself a little hassle. :)

And I recommend a padded one to save any damage, and if you end up having to use it, you wont have to replace needles they would have otherwise confiscated from you. If you have interchangeables, I recommend having your project on the cable with end caps on it and the tips seperate from it, so they dont get silly and claim a "possible strangulation hazard" because of the circular needle aspect. Plus then you can still take your work with you, mail the needles if you have to, and either mail them to where you are going or pick up a cheap circular at JoAnn's for when you are on your trip. (Can you tell I have been through this lol??)