Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Did/do yout have a cut-off age for nursing in public? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=881)

mommy2zander 04-24-2006 01:20 AM

Did/do yout have a cut-off age for nursing in public?

My Zander is almost 23 mos old & I still feel comfortable nursing him in public (I think mostly because he's still a baby in my eyes)!

I am wondering how other mama's who nurse (or plan to nurse) thier babes into/through toddlerhood feel about this?

:D

Velvetpage 04-24-2006 06:23 AM

Re: Did/do yout have a cut-off age for nursing in public?

When my baby is still nursing on demand, then feeding in public (with appropriate cover-ups) is the order of the day, and I defy anyone to tell me I shouldn't. However, after solids have been introduced and the baby is on a fairly standard meal schedule, I would rarely nurse in public. With my first, I stopped much of the nursing-on-demand around nine months. I still nursed her at home three or four times a day, but not in public. My reasoning: at the beginning, it's nutrition and comfort-driven, but once they've started taking a lot of solids, it's no longer really about nutrition. Unless I'm going to be out for more than four hours, I don't see any need to give that kind of comfort in a public place. They need to start to learn that there are ways to behave at home and ways to behave outside the home, and the best way to teach them is to start to change my strategies for outside the home. If they want a snack, I'll give them a few cheerios to tide them over until I get to a place where I'm willing to nurse.

geckoed 04-24-2006 07:34 AM

it varies with each kid for me. My first child weaned pretty early, so he's exempt from this thread.
My second child did EVERYTHING early. Insanely early. Impossibly early. She sat unsupported at 3 months! At 9 months the Dr wanted to look in her ears and she stuck her hand out, shook her head, and said clear as day "no oo don't!" So by 15 months, when she was speaking in "paragraphs" and skipping and spelling her name and otherwise "being big" I started to say "no honey, we'll nurse in the brown chair" which was our favorite nursing chair. So before 18 months she only nursed at home (unless we were out at bedtime/naptime or she was sick- in which case if we were out I'm sure we were at the Drs office anyway). It was very gentle though, and I trusted her to know her needs. So if she persisted I knew she "needed" it for whatever reason and would nurse her- but I can only remember one time that she wanted to NIP after 18-19 months that wasn't naptime- and the next day FOUR molars popped through.
My 3rd child was small for his age and a late talker. At 18 months his language exploded, but he was still tiny. I nursed him in public, just discreetly. Of course around 18 months he rarely wanted to nurse in public anyway- he was way too busy for that. But if he got hurt or tired or whatever and wanted to nurse no problem. Taking the older kids to activities meant he was NIP a couple times a week. He weaned himself during my next pregnancy at 2 years old.
My 4th child is 15 months. He's a BIG boy, but developing at his own pace, so still seems very very young to me (15 months IS young but aside from his motor skills he is much more like a 7-8 month old) he also doesn't really eat solids... a sampling every other day or so (we offer- his interest is just not there yet). So with 99% of his nutrition coming straight from me I don't really see an end in sight LOL

Cog 04-24-2006 10:30 PM

I will nurse where ever and when ever until DD no longer nurses.
I plan to nurse for at LEAST 2 years, hopefully longer.
We eat when we want, they eat when they want.

jennyofthemoon 04-24-2006 10:33 PM

Nope, we don't! :) I have three kids, who self-weaned at 5, 3 and 3 respectively. We nip whenever they felt they needed too. To me the comfort that a child needs in a stressful situation is more important than any unomfortable feelings that bypassers may have, which is really what the nursing in public "debate" is all about anyways. To set a cut-off age when every mom/baby duo is so unique is not meeting the needs of each individual baby.

bethn 04-24-2006 10:37 PM

I'm not sure how we'll handle it. DD nursed until 20 months and I think we mostly stopped NIP around 15 months or so. She was small for her age so I don't remember getting any strange looks. She didn't really eat solids until about 12 months (she refused baby food for the most part).

DS is 10.5 months and also pretty much EBF as he also refuses most solid foods. Although he's at least trying some mashed table foods now - he gets maybe a spoonful or two a day. So of course it's still nutrition for him (and sleep prop too) so we nurse whenever, wherever. He comes to work with me every day and we take public transportation (Amtrak or the local train) and I nurse him on the train anytime. He's too big to nurse easily when another person is sitting next to me so we have issues with that at times. I don't care if the other person sees us it's more than DS moves his legs and arms alot and ends up in the other person's "personal space."

Anyway, DS will continue to come with me to work and I'll continue to nurse on the train whenever he needs it at least until he's eating more food. After that, depending on how big he is, we'll just have to see.

wbkt8 04-24-2006 10:37 PM

my dd is almost 19 months and still nursing quite a lot. she does eat some solids but it varies a lot day to day so i feel like nursing is still quite important to her for both the nutrition & comfort aspects. however, even if it was only for comfort i still feel mostly comfortable nursing her public - provided we have an adequate place to do it - there are obviously some times that are better than others. for example, i nursed her at the table at lunch yesterday and that was fine. but some days all she wants to do is pop on and off every three seconds and i find that frustrating so i do sometimes ask her if she would accpet a substitute (drink from a cup/food/some other comfort/etc.) if i sense that's the case - she's usually pretty insistent if she really wants to nurse.

katie

bethanyjoy 04-25-2006 11:49 AM

I really never consciously set a cut-off date or anything...I'd say it just gradually tapered off starting around 15 months. I nursed my first until he was 3.5yo, and he knew from about 18 months that we had "nahnah" at home...sometimes I'd nurse him in the car or something before a long drive home, it helped him nap. LOL

Bry is 22 months and still asks to NIP sometimes, usually I just distract him with a sippy cup or something else...He only nurses 2-3 times during a day (unless he's sick) plus a few times at night. His word for nurisng is "cuddle" pronounced "cud-ooo"...very cute, and discreet when in public. Just confusing!! LOL I have to be careful when I ask him if he wants a cuddle, since he views it as an invite to nurse!

Mostly I just go with my instinct...when I start feeling uncomfortable NIP, then we stop doing it...the boys are fine with it so I know they are ready too, kwim? It it were an emergency, I'd have no prob whipping it out...but usually they ask out of hunger/thirst/boredom when in public, and all of those have alternative options.

Proverbs169 04-25-2006 12:15 PM

I've never really thought about it that way... I guess when my older two hit a certain age they weren't nursing nearly as much and both nursed just a few times a day and I didn't have to deal with that issue. If Brookie wants to NIP when she gets older I don't think I would have a problem. In fact I just dare any of "those" people to say a word and hear what I have to say! LOL

riandkymommy 04-25-2006 12:52 PM

My DS weaned himself rather early (13 months) and I NIP with him until he weaned! DD is almost 8 months and I still NIP, and have already gotten weird looks from people where as with DS I never did!! With DS I was in a bigger town, now I am in a smaller town, I don't know if that has anything to do with it, because DS was way bigger too!! I don't know if I will have a cut off age. Never really thought about it because as it is now, if she wants it, she gets it!! LOL! But she usually doesn't when we are out, too much going on and she is a nosy little girl, lol!