Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Question for parents of kids with ear tubes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88170)

amielia80 01-20-2007 05:25 PM

Question for parents of kids with ear tubes

DS had ear tubes put in this past July. He does horrible with wearing the plugs during bath time. Bath time is such a huge struggle anyway and add making him wear the plugs to it...NOT a pretty scene!!!
So tonight he managed to pull the plugs out while I was rising his head and I am sure that some water may have gotten in there. Does anyone know what happens if that happens? The ENT said very clearly that we could not let water get in there and now I am scared it will hurt him or something. Do you think I should call the ENT on monday?
TIA!

Leininger27 01-20-2007 05:30 PM

Re: Question for parents of kids with ear tubes

My ds2 has tubes in now and never wear ear plugs. He did in the beginning, but doesn't anymore. Our ENT said it was fine at home, but places like a pool and lake he should wear the plugs so that is what we do! HTH!

pinkflamingos77 01-20-2007 05:44 PM

I am 28 and I have had tubes in my ears since I was 18. They told me to wear plugs in my ears for the first 4-6 months and after that I did not have to worry about it. I don't and I have never had problems with my ears.

My son has ear problems just like me and they have talked to us about putting tubes in his ears and they went over everything wiht us and they said the samething the doc told me. Wear plugs 4-6 months and after that you should be fine. :dunno:

lilmama2dsndd 01-20-2007 06:08 PM

My DS got tubes put in Jan of 06 ( they are still in) and he never wore plugs, nor did the ENT ever mention them to us :headscratch:

mamamac 01-20-2007 07:10 PM

Our ENT said to only wear them if we plan on going swimming in a lake or river, which I don't plan on doing for a long time.

Sarahb44 01-20-2007 07:20 PM

Both my boys had tubes, ENT said, no worries, go on like normal....unless he was submerged or swimming under the water for long times (which I am betting he is not :goodvibes: all is well.)

fostermomcchr 01-20-2007 09:00 PM

My now 12 yr old had tubes put in when he was 15mths old, they came out around 2.5yrs old, he would never keep the plugs in, the ENT said that was fine, not to worry about it. He still has no trouble at all w/his ears, they drain very well and the only hearing difficulties he has is that selective hearing that all males in my family has anyway!

PoshPants 01-20-2007 10:07 PM

The tubes grow out in 6-12 months. So if a 18 month old get's tubes they don't still have then when they are say 4.

IF a small amount of cleanish bath water gets in don't worry, all it CAN do is cause an ear infection. If he went swimming in a pond, THEN he will no doubt get an ear infection.

Also you can have some antibotic ear drops handy just incase. He should see the ENT every 3 months with tubes in

HTH

Abby

blessed with boys 01-20-2007 10:44 PM

2 of my boys have tubes (6 yrs and 19 months) neither of them wear plugs in their ears for baths....they wouldnt keep them in. So far so good and at our last appointment our dr said they looked fine.
I dont think I'll be having my boys in the pond or lake while they have the tubes in.....at a pool I'd probably have them put something over/and in their ears. I really like the ear-band it and plugs.
Jackie

JustAugust 01-20-2007 10:45 PM

They don't want water going through the tubes back into the ear. Water going into the ear during normal bath times will not go that far back. His head would have to be submerged and there would have to be a little pressure to push the water back there.

No ear plugs needed for bath time, but for swimming, etc. then they should be. :)