Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   children and cellphones? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88534)

allye 01-21-2007 01:29 PM

children and cellphones?

Do you agree or disagree to this? And I don't mean giving a kid a cellphone with a plan?
We bought my 13 year old a cellphone for his birthday, and its prepaid. He knows that once his time runs out , he has to buy his own time. But we have received flack for this because of his age , etc... But we thought it would be a good idea to keep tabs on him, etc...

But what do you think about this? :goodvibes:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 01-21-2007 01:35 PM

Re: children and cellphones?

i think its a great idea in the case if any emergencies come up, they always have a way to get in touch with mom and dad or the police.
my sister has a phone and is 13 also, i see nothing wrong with it:thumbsup:
I think it's a smart thing to do!

TwinKristi 01-21-2007 01:42 PM

I have been considering getting my almost 10yo's the kids type phones with pre-programmed emergency numbers (mom, dad, grandma, 911, etc) through Verizon. I think its called Firefly or something. I've been telling them when they're 10 for a long time but now that's like 5 months away and I don't think they're mature enough. We'll see how 12-13 looks! LOL

pinkflamingos77 01-21-2007 01:43 PM

IMO..

My kids will not have cell phones until they are 16 and then it will only be used for emergencies or to call us. They will not have them to just call whoever they want..whenever they want. I grew up without a cell phone and I found ways to call my mom. I got one a few weeks ago. It is pay as you go. It is verizon and I have used it maybe 10 times. I think cell phones are out of control!

SandyG 01-21-2007 01:46 PM

like Lysa, i didnt have them growing up , its not necessary.
he can call me using a landline. if he gonna be stranded in a desert island, yeah ill get him one ONLY if he is responsible enough.

urchin_grey 01-21-2007 02:35 PM

Well, we don't do landlines anymore. :hide: So DS will probably grow up thinking that all phones are cell phones. LOL Its just a phone though... I think (from talking to moms IRL) that parents have this idea that its something that only "big kids" or spoiled kids should have but its just not that big of a deal to me. I've heard moms say "OMG I can't believe so-and-so got a cell phone for their 12yo". Erm, its phone, not a crop top and mini skirt! Aren't your (general) kids allowed to use the phone at home? No different to me... sorry.

So, yeah, I totally agree with you. Although, if I knew my DC would earn it I would opt for adding him onto my family plan... Those prepaid minutes are OUTRAGEOUS and its *very* easy to run out of money very quickly. I had to use prepaid once after the hurricane here and I wound up spending WAY more than the phone I had with a plan because the prepaid automatically charges you $1 a day, plus what you spend talking. :rolleyes:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 01-21-2007 02:41 PM

i have a pay as you go phone and only refill it $20 every 3 months, its only 10 cents/minute.BTW is a boost mobile:thumbsup:
i agree with carly, its just a phone:)

PoshPants 01-21-2007 02:45 PM

cell phones can cause brain damage to kids, in the UK they are asking parents not to let kids use them but for emergencies or to call Mum or Dad for a few mins, that is it!

I know mine gives me a headache.

Something to think about

Kimmyann 01-21-2007 02:46 PM

If my kids end up going to public school rather than being homeschooled then I will have even my kindergardener keep a cell phone in his/her backpack for emergencies. There are so many cute kid friendly phones that can be preprogrammed for only certain numbers that I would rather know that if something unforseen happens he or she will be able to reach me. As for people giving you flack about it. Its your kid. They have no say IMHO.

Kimmyann

ZooCrew10 01-21-2007 03:09 PM

IMO it's just another thing that kids think they deserve to have rather than using it for an emergency. I see so many of my children's peers with cell phones, calling all over, the parents really don't have a clue what is going on and who they are calling. Computers, Ipods, Gameboys, PS1-2-3, etc, the list goes on. Children now days have way too much stuff, and most of the time don't appreciate what they have and what it takes to get those nice computerized, electric toys. I had to laugh at my step-son who at 18 had a reality check when it came to getting his car legal and paying for insurance/transfer fees. We gave him a vehicle but told him that it was up to him to get all that done otherwise the vehicle remained ours with our rules. It's still ours, he doesn't have the money because he didn't understand how much it actually costs to own and maintain a vehicle.

My kids won't need a phone unless both my DH and I go to work full time, which I hope won't happen as I prefer to be at home. They won't be anywhere I won't know where they are OR where they can't get ready access to a landline, so a cell phone is not necessary and IMO an extravagance (not meaning to sound argumentative, just opinionated, lol).