Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stinky hemp? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88739)

Irish Mama 01-21-2007 09:14 PM

Stinky hemp?

One of my friends has me terrified to use hemp. She said she got terrible stink issues with it that nothing would cure. And from what I've gathered while perusing these boards and others, she's not alone. For that reason, I've avoided buying hemp.

Until I realized that all my beautiful BP have hemp in the soakers. D'oh! (I hadn't been paying attention when I put them on my Christmas list.) And sure enough, I think I may already have noticed some stink with one of them today. But other than that, I LOVE my BP, and as I was saying in an earlier thread today, am considering buying one of their AIO packages. However, if stink is going to be an issue, I don't want to waste my money, since I imagine stinky hemp isn't exactly resellable.

So...is there a way to avoid hemp stink? I suppose there is no one-size-fits-all solution here, but I'm wondering if anyone has found something that works. I think we have moderately hard water (based on the fact that we sometimes get rusty stains in our shower and we don't have a water softener), which I'm sure makes a difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 01-21-2007 09:16 PM

Re: Stinky hemp?

I only use hemp for my inserts and most of my fitteds are hemp, they get bad stink issues but i just wash with TTO and lavender EO into the hot wash and its gone. if you can't get rid of it that way you can wash with 1/8 cup of bleach and they'll be gone:thumbsup:
i love and prefer it over anything else:)

mommypatton521 01-21-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox (Post 660253)
I only use hemp for my inserts and most of my fitteds are hemp, they get bad stink issues but i just wash with TTO and lavender EO into the hot wash and its gone. if you can't get rid of it that way you can wash with 1/8 cup of bleach and they'll be gone:thumbsup:
i love and prefer it over anything else:)

we use tto in EVERY rinse cycle and haven't had stink issues since! We use JUST hemp.

ModernMama 01-21-2007 09:35 PM

You can also use baking soda/washing soda and white vinegar in a downy ball every few washes. That works for us!

syndibee 01-21-2007 10:02 PM

i haven't noticed any hemp stink since i switched to free and clear detergents

Irish Mama 01-21-2007 11:11 PM

How much TTO or lavendar EO do you use? FWIW, I always drop about 5-6 drops of TTO on the little fabric panel in my pail liner. Will whatever makes TTO work still work when that goes in the wash with everything else 1-2 days later?

Thanks for the suggestions!

ETA - I already use F&C detergents (first Tide, now Purex), and I used to use vinegar, but I've heard that can make things worse in hard water?

dessismama 01-21-2007 11:37 PM

Yes, if you have hard water, vinegar can make your dipes really stinky... But TTO or a bit of bleach does miracles!

ashersmom 01-22-2007 01:12 PM

how many drops of TTO??

Prettylocks 01-22-2007 01:22 PM

I never use any additives- I do switch detergents often (whenever I run out I buy whatever I like that is on sale) and I do an extra clear hot wash after my regular wash to avoid buildup. Most hemp stink issues are a result of buildup and eventually anything you use is going to leave buildup (residual detergent buildup), that is why I switch detergents often.
Anyway- works great for me! We use a lot of hemp and never get the stinkies. Well, stuff comes to me with stinkies from ebay and FSOT- but I get rid of it with a few clear hot washes.

Irish Mama 01-22-2007 07:20 PM

Thanks for your input, Cynthia. I'll try that out and see if it helps.

I am still wondering, though, how much TTO others use in their wash. I know it can be powerful stuff, and I'd hate to use too much. But it'd also be pointless to use too little.