Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What & how much is your 8 mo old eating (solids)? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88911)

mama_times5 01-22-2007 09:33 AM

What & how much is your 8 mo old eating (solids)?

A friend emailed me to ask me this, but I'm not sure I am the best person to answer. We have babies the same age and my friend is currently relocated from the US to Germany without much of a mommy-support system there or much internet time.

So, here's my answer, what's yours?

My 8 mo old ds is #4 and I'm really relaxed about stuff this go around. He's been an ebf butter ball, sleeping through the night, content...so I have only really started introducing solids the past week or so. He's starting to really show interest.

I'm not a big fan of baby cereal. Actually started with goldfish, cherrios or crackers to entertain him while we eat supper. Has moved to some pureed after nursings 1-2 meals a day. He loves it and I imagine we'll continue adding more soon.

He's O.K. with "natural" applesauce, will eat 3-4 oz but it takes a while. Loves a mashed up bananna (would have probably eaten the whole thing, but I thought 1/2 was plenty). I cut up soft cooked carrots off my plate, little bits of mashed potatoes, even rice. He gobbled down the couple of jars of babyfood that I have given him so far, banana-plum-grape and the apricot.

blissfullyblessed 01-22-2007 04:56 PM

Re: What & how much is your 8 mo old eating (solids)?

I think what you've said is perfect! My LO wasn't interested in solids like yours, and ebf til about 8 mos too. I tried solids w/her at 6 mos, but that's just because I wanted to - she could've cared less. We didn't try goldfish til later on, but everything else u mentioned we did. Oh, and avacado is a great food for them too :)

patty_o_furniture 01-22-2007 07:19 PM

My 8 mo usually eats real food only once a day. I give her a container of babyfood or let her gnaw a cracker or teething biscuit while we are eating dinner. She does NOT sleep through the night waking many times, usually around five to nurse. I have given her rice and oatmeal, but might as well give her something with a bit more nutrition. We are going to give mashed up cooked pear tonite.

grisaleen 01-22-2007 08:22 PM

My DD is seven months. I only give her food she can feed herself, so nothing mashed. She really likes slices of avocado. I'll give her chunks of banana (not slices, she can't hold those AND get some in her mouth - it has to be long enough for some of it to stick out of her hand). Next I'm going to bake a sweet potato and give her pieces of that, like french fry or chip shaped. She's also had pieces of pear in a mesh feeder and really liked it.

mama_times5 01-22-2007 08:45 PM

Wow, thank you ladies! I asked this on my friend's behalf but am glad I did. Feeling better about our "slow" start and am inspired to branch out a little as well.

Sweet potatoes are on the menu this week, so that's next on my list. :thumbsup:

Self-feeding is a fabulous thing and a great benefit to waiting till now. My first dd is special needs and didn't really do solids as a baby, so I was eager for that milestone with #2. She was really going through the jars by this age. It's easier to make my own/take stuff off my plate when approaching it this way.

Thanks for the encouragement!

AmandaS 01-22-2007 08:58 PM

Well, my baby is 11 months and has just now really decided he like food. By food I mean anything he can stuff in his mouth that is remotely like food. He would eat a little bit of cereal or about a half jar of baby food at around 8 months. He still nurses 4-6 times a day. Today he had two mini blueberry muffins for breakfast with some water. For lunch he had 1/4 jar of chicken veggie baby food w/ rice cereal mixed in, plus some Gerber fruit puffs and some koolade. Dinner, he decided to play instead of eat!

mimid 01-22-2007 10:54 PM

Well, the girls are 9 months but only 7.5 adjusted, so I'm right there. They basically eat what we eat. Sweet potatoes, potatoes, egg yolks, garbanzo beans, pea soup, dal, chicken, veal, yogurt, cottage cheese, applesauce, bell pepper strips, cooked carrots, yellow beets...you get the picture? They don't get any of the big allergens and I am watchful of empty carbs since I have an insulin issue and my dad and both grandfathers are/was a diabetic.

BTW, we never did cereals or purees. Just let the girls eat what they want.

sheandaru 01-23-2007 10:52 AM

My guys is 8 months and there are some days he doesn't have any solids. I've given him crackers or teething biscuits if I need him to be entertained at dinner (like another mom mentioned). Other than that, he's not too interested in eating right now.

orteggleston 01-23-2007 12:28 PM

My 7.5 month old is only interested in things he can grab and shove in his mouth...which isn't much right now! :giggle:

I have cooked and pureed rice, oatmeal, vegies...he doesn't care for any of it at this point.

I freeze whole wheat bagels and he likes to chew on them.
Also chunks of fresh fruit in a mesh feeder.

My first was the same way...just not interested in baby food.

becoming 01-23-2007 12:37 PM

Sounds like you're doing great. My DD wasn't eating much of anything at 8 months old. A little bit of ripe avocado or mashed-up banana here and there. She only got really interested in eating solids on a regular basis at around a year old.