Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ewww--I'm scared of these used dipes I bought! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89226)

acumama 01-22-2007 04:32 PM

Ewww--I'm scared of these used dipes I bought!

I bought some used fillted on ebay, and am boiling them now. The whole house stinks from them being boiled--a real funky smell, not sure how to describe it. There are lots of soap bubbles too.
Please reassure me that boiling them will kill any nasties. I'm a little creeped out!!

mistylaureena 01-22-2007 04:34 PM

Re: Ewww--I'm scared of these used dipes I bought!

I would defitnely wash them in hot/hot wash after your done boiling them and use bleach for sure ...the bleach wont ruin your dipes if only used every now and then and the bleach will FOR SURE kill any nasties!!

Could the smell be melting Snaps or something like that??

Prettylocks 01-22-2007 04:34 PM

Yes, you can fix em! I have gotten some funky diapers off ebay :yuck: . Strip the heck out of them. They will be fine. :goodvibes:

ETA: I have never boiled diapers or used bleach- I am too afraid of ruining them. I just do lots of hot washes (and turn up the hot water heater so it is really hot) and I dry them in the drier on hot before I use them.

lovebeingamommie 01-22-2007 04:35 PM

When i buy used, I put 1/8 cup bleach in the water before inserting the dipes for their first wash that way they don't bleach, kwim?

I was paranoid after that whole staph scare so I had asked and some other mamas suggested doing that!

I am sure they smell because of detergant/pee build up, kwim? Boiling will probably fix it, but if youare worried I'd try the bleach, it has NEVER hurt any of my dipes!:thumbsup:

HTH!

Hayley 01-22-2007 04:36 PM

Are they made of hemp?

what kind are they.

Don't be scared!

acumama 01-22-2007 04:37 PM

no--no melting snaps. they're "no closure" little beetles.
good idea on the bleach...but the manual for my fl washer says to never use bleach. any ideas how to do it?

SugarBunsWool&More 01-22-2007 04:44 PM

Boiling for 10-15 minutes will kill the nasties for sure! Then wash them again when you're done. I hope you got a good deal!!! :thumbsup:

acumama 01-22-2007 04:46 PM

:laugh: yep, they were a good deal!
So, will boiling alone be enough? I mean I'll wash them too, of course, but is the bleach a necessity as well?

lovebeingamommie 01-22-2007 04:54 PM

Probably not a necessity, but that is what I'd do, but that is just me, germaphobe, LOL!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 01-22-2007 05:00 PM

add 1/8 cup or 3 caps of clorox to your hot water, add your detergent and then toss the diapers in, theyr'll be fine, watch with boiling if they have snaps:thumbsup: