Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   they stink again already ughh (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8928)

ocean_o_curls 05-26-2006 03:19 AM

they stink again already ughh

i just bleached my inserts 3 days ago so today was my wash day and i just pulled them out of the dryer and they stink again :headscratch: am i maybe not using enough detergent? I was using i tbls of tide for about 15 diapers plus inserts and liners. Im getting frustrated :banghead: ive tried stripping with dawn, boiling, bleach, baking soda and vinegar is there anything else to try? :cry:

imommy 05-26-2006 05:13 AM

Re: they stink again already ughh

sun, works wonders! :goodvibes: Lay them out in it when they're sopping wet and let them get the breeze and lots of bright sun. Works every time for me. Good luck!

CufrM 05-26-2006 05:35 AM

:yeahthat:
If I have some stink, I'll strip them with dish soap, and then do exactly what the pp said. I usually try-keyword here, had a lot of rain lately-to sun my stash once a week. My neighbors think I'm nuts! I wash washing every 3rd day, up until about 2 months ago, and the inserts were stinking seriously. I noticed that if I wash small loads daily or every other day, I don't get any stink. I'm not a big fan of daily washing but if it keeps the stink away, I'm all for it! Good luck!

kelley0427 05-26-2006 10:29 AM

I agree with using Dawn. The blue stuff works the best! That is all I wash my diapers with because of stink issues.

a_cthelen 05-26-2006 11:01 AM

I've read on a few sites that Tide is not a good detergent to use as it is pretty harsh. I have been doing a lot of research myself on the detergent/smell issue and finally tried "Method free and clear" (from Target). It's definitely more expensive, but seems to work well. I also sun my dipes and inserts and never put them in the drier. That being said, I live in So Cal, so it's easy for me to do that!:mrgreen: As for using enough detergent, it sounds like you may not have enough. I use a 1/2-1tbs for 5 liners and dipes (that's all I have now). I read that you should check your rinse cycle to make sure there are no suds left. If there is soap residue, then you will have smelly dipes and you should run a rinse cycle until there aren't any more suds.

Hope your smelly insert issue is resolved!

masonite 05-26-2006 11:09 AM

Do they smell like urine or poop? I've heard if they smell poopy that you aren't using enough detergent and urine is build-up.

That's got to be so frustrating! Have you tried switching detergents? Maybe you just need a new detergent or something.

I hope you can figure it out!

Sweetforestcat 05-26-2006 11:25 AM

Hmmm..I do not personally use Tide detergent because I think it smells! Could that be your stink?

Have you tried using TTO in your soak load?

Have you tried the simple green/washing soda homemade detergent receipe? I heard this works but we forgot to try it again! Next time!

Do you soak your dipes in vinegar too? I found that helped us much more than just adding vinegar in the rinse.

FitMommyOf2 05-26-2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetforestcat
Have you tried the simple green/washing soda homemade detergent receipe? I heard this works but we forgot to try it again! Next time!

Do you soak your dipes in vinegar too? I found that helped us much more than just adding vinegar in the rinse.

Cherie,
how does the homemade detergent recipe go? Never heard of it but I'd love to know!:mrgreen:

Also if you soak the dipes in vinegar, does the vinegar smell come out afterwards? I've only tried using it a few times and couldn't stand the smell they had even after another rinse... (Maybe I overdosed them? :blush: :giggle: )

ercvt 05-26-2006 12:27 PM

Like others have said- too much detergent. In fact we don't use any. We use TTO, baking soda and occasionally vinegar, or if its a very poopy load- Oxyclean. In fact I used oxyclean lately on some prefolds that had stayed stuffed and got mildewy in the dry pail. Oxyclean ( and 3 washes) has everything much nicer smelling.

Sweetforestcat 05-26-2006 01:16 PM

here is the link for the recipe and some very helpful advice!

http://sunshinediapers.com/u_detergent.html

Oh, scroll down and yuo will see it in bold! :)