Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   2009 Due-Daters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=208)
-   -   issues with baby weight gain (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895282)

MamaRakoff 12-23-2009 08:44 AM

issues with baby weight gain

hi mamas.
hope everyone is enjoying their new little ones, or their last few days being pregnant! I had a question about newborn weight gain. Natalie was born 8lbs 7oz (12/12/09) was discharged 7lbs 10oz (12/15/09) the next day at the pediatricians office she weighed 7lbs 13oz (12/16/09) but had not pooped in 2 days. Then 6 days later, yesterday (12/22/09) she weighed 7lbs 14.5oz. The pediatrician reccomended that I wake to feed her every 2 hours round the clock, and supplement with 1oz formula after the feedings which I told her I did not want to do. I have been waking to feed every 2 hours which is driving me sort of insane. I have to wear nipple shields due to inverted nipples. I started taking fenugreek to help boost supply. I also try to pump after at least 2 feedings a day to make sure I am really empty, but with 20 minutes of pumping I only get combined .5-1oz, which makes me think either I am not producing enough, or she is draining my breasts when eating. I know they say babies should gain .5-1oz per day, but does that apply to all babies or just those on formula? I really do not want to give up nursing, it is just so much more challenging then I anticipated. I guess this whole thing has been, I had a great pregnancy and really did not prepare myself for my delivery/postpartum to be any different. I did not prepare myself mentally for a c-section, a long hospital stay, difficulty breastfeeding, and an overwhelming amount of emotion.
Any thoughts/suggestions/encouragements are welcome and really appreciated on the breastfeeding to see if miss natalie and I can keep it together.
Thanks so much,
Liz

reagansmom05 12-23-2009 09:10 AM

Re: issues with baby weight gain

supplementing is such a dangerous slippery slope. most drs allow 2 to 3 whole weeks to get back to birth weight!

7arrows4God 12-23-2009 09:25 AM

Some women just can not pump off much even though baby actually is getting lots. I do not pump very easy but yet baby gets lots.

And yes some babies just do not gain fast they use their milk supply in all areas than just growing. You getting lots of wet diapers? And when baby is awake baby is very alert - then I would not worry. My last two babies have been very tiny in the growth area and would be considered way low - yet they are sooooo incredibly healthy and do not even have a doctors records.
Just watch for signs. Peeing and alert.

JenniferH97 12-23-2009 11:08 AM

I had a horrible, horrible time with shields with my son. This pregnancy I wore breast shells in the 3rd trimester to help draw out my inverted nipples. I was offered a shield for my left breast in the hospital (it is worse than my right) but declined it and Anna didn't have too much difficulty latching on. At her 2 week apt. she was exactly back to her birth weight (8 lbs. 1 oz.) and her pediatrician was extremely happy with that and also very supportive of EBFing. You still have a week + for her to gain more weight!
I don't have a pump, but I do know that you can't measure how much your LO is getting by how much you are able to pump out. Wet/dirty diapers are what counts.
I don't know if it is too late to try the shells since your LO is used to the easy-to-latch-onto shields, but it couldn't hurt. There is also a way to physically break the adhesions that are inverting your nipples. Here is an article that was helpful to me: http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com...ednipples.html

Is there a lactation consultant in your area that could help you with these issues? Good luck mama.

MamaRakoff 12-23-2009 11:33 AM

I totally forgot to add about the diapers... She is having plenty of wets, at least 7, and at least 4 dirty diapers a day. When she is awake she is looking around, making some noises, trying to pick up her head if laying on my chest, etc... She does sleep most of the time but I'm guessing thats just part of being a newborn!
I was really worried that the nipple shields are decreasing my supply or not allowing her to actually nurse, but she latches on easily, and when she comes off there is milk on her cheek and also the shield is full of milk so I am guessing she is getting enough. I have to wake her every 2 hours to feed, otherwise she woudl continue to sleep which also makes me feel like she is getting enough, no? I do want to wean her from the shields, but I want to make sure she is actually eating and gaining before I get her all upset over teh shield. I have tried to remove it and she will not relatch, she just fusses. We are planning to meet with a LC after the holidays. We had a great one in the hospital that spent 3 feedings with us per day and it was just great. Hopefully the fenugreek will work, my milk will increase, the baby will gain weight, and we can stop worrying. Thank you so much for all the support.
Liz

JenniferH97 12-23-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaRakoff (Post 9164989)
I do want to wean her from the shields, but I want to make sure she is actually eating and gaining before I get her all upset over teh shield. I have tried to remove it and she will not relatch, she just fusses. We are planning to meet with a LC after the holidays.
Liz

It sounds like you both are doing just fine by the amount of diaper changes.
Here's an article about weaning from the shields that you might find helpful. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

fanatic4cloth 12-25-2009 04:10 PM

Mama the thing is everyone puts an emphasis on what is normal and when a child doesn't fall into what the consider normal they make you freak out. If she is wetting. And messing dipes and you feel emptied or close to it then I wouldn't worry. Maybe she is too warm as well and that's why she likes to sleep a lot dd did that and I. Started peeling off layers she has gained her weight back though she was 6. 13 and went to 6 .3 she will be 4 weeks on the 29th she is 9 .7

phridae 12-31-2009 01:20 AM

Hi momma! Sorry to hear you are having a rough start!
I nursed my DS Noah with a shield for about...5 months. I had very flat/inverted nipples. It took a while for them to come out.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about weaning for the shield just yet. I know its a hassle to put on, but if its making nursing possible right now than just go with it.
Whatever you do, do not supplement with formula. That would just sabotage your supply at this early stage.
The best thing you can do is find a comfy spot on the couch, have a water bottle nearby for you, the TV remote, and NURSE NURSE NURSE. That's how you're going to build a good supply.

I also wouldn't worry about pumping after you nurse, especially if you're only getting half an ounce. THAT'S GOOD! That means the baby is getting everything.

She sounds like she's getting plenty of dirty diapers a day, so take a deep breath. You're doing just fine. :)

CountryChicMama 12-31-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phridae (Post 9203658)
The best thing you can do is find a comfy spot on the couch, have a water bottle nearby for you, the TV remote, and NURSE NURSE NURSE. That's how you're going to build a good supply.

ITA!:thumbsup: I had an unexpected c/s delivery and then developed an infection that delayed my milk for over a week. I had to supplement with formula once my colostrum was gone. However, when it finally came in (I had been pumping for stimulation) DS and I began nursing again and within a few weeks was able to completely eliminate the formula. I literally did the above: found a comfy spot on the sofa and let DS nurse/suckle until his heart was content whenever he wanted. :)

And even though the formula supplementation worked for us and we were able to wean it back out, it is very difficult to do. You sound like you are doing an awesome job and your little one seems to be getting adequate nutrition (pee/poo and alertness). I think you just need to give it more time. :goodvibes: