Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Vaccine side-effects? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89954)

allye 01-24-2007 12:07 AM

Vaccine side-effects?
 
We have been delaying my daughters 6 months shots because of this..
When we had my DD's 4 month shots - both of her legs went a dark purple, and when we asked if this had happened to anyone elses child, the nurse said "oh well that has not happened before" but she assured us this was normal.:yuck:

Her date for her 6 months shots is tomorrow... but my DH is quite hesitant about having this done. Has this happened to anyone else's child ? :banghead:

Thoughts?

moonphishers 01-24-2007 12:11 AM

Re: Vaccine side-effects?
 
I love it. The old "its normal" comeback. and if it's normal how come it hadn't happened to anyone else?.. oh the things they'll say.

Did you happen to check out the HPV vax thread recently? in that I have compliled a long ol' post about reporting side effects. I emplore you to check it out. I'll do get / find the link.

All I can offer you at this point is if you decide to vax please see that link...


Here's the link.


BTW - you can always postpone the appt. and think more about it. :hugs:

allye 01-24-2007 12:13 AM

Re: Vaccine side-effects?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonphishers (Post 669476)
I love it. The old "its normal" comeback. and if it's normal how come it hadn't happened to anyone else?.. oh the things they'll say.

Did you happen to check out the HPV vax thread recently? in that I have compliled a long ol' post about reporting side effects. I emplore you to check it out. I'll do get / find the link.

All I can offer you at this point is if you decide to vax please see that link...

Yeah we've NEVER had this problem with any of our other children, for some reason this happened to her. I am scared because of the link between vaccines and autism, and my oldest son has high functioning autism, and my youngest son is fully autistic... *sigh*

my DH wants a consult with our doctor before we vax..

snowbird25ca 01-24-2007 12:14 AM

Re: Vaccine side-effects?
 
Usually reactions get worse with each subsequent shot... dh's tend to be the ones that are most hesitant about delaying or not vaxing, so him being hesitant about going through with the vaxes raises some red flags for me that you shouldn't do them.

Just FYI, BC has exemptions available for religious, medical or philisophical reasons that allow you to refuse vaccines and still attend school.

My policy is this - you can always do a vax later, but once it's in you can never undo it or any reaction that it causes. My dd reacted mildly to her first shots that we had delayed but we thought it was a "normal" reaction. Her 2nd shots we only did the DTaP/HiB/IPV vax and she had a major reaction. We've since stopped all vaccines and are now a non-vax'ing household. You might want to visit the vaxing board on MDC for more input.

allye 01-24-2007 12:17 AM

Re: Vaccine side-effects?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowbird25ca (Post 669482)
Usually reactions get worse with each subsequent shot... dh's tend to be the ones that are most hesitant about delaying or not vaxing, so him being hesitant about going through with the vaxes raises some red flags for me that you shouldn't do them.

Just FYI, BC has exemptions available for religious, medical or philisophical reasons that allow you to refuse vaccines and still attend school.

My policy is this - you can always do a vax later, but once it's in you can never undo it or any reaction that it causes. My dd reacted mildly to her first shots that we had delayed but we thought it was a "normal" reaction. Her 2nd shots we only did the DTaP/HiB/IPV vax and she had a major reaction. We've since stopped all vaccines and are now a non-vax'ing household. You might want to visit the vaxing board on MDC for more input.

This is good to know - thank you so much!
I know my daughter's daycare (not my 7 month old, my four year olds) has strict guidelines about the children being vaccinated... and yes of course I am going to listen to his wishes :) she is both of ours and if he has concerns I for one am not going to fight him on this. I mean I was always brought up with the notion that you have to vaccinate your children to keep them safe ETC...but this scared the living daylights out of me to see both of her little (well chubby legs LOL) legs go dark purple.
People are saying well maybe its because we had a health nurse who wasn't exactly the nicest to her, or they pushed in the wrong way causing the reaction, we don't know.

moonphishers 01-24-2007 12:17 AM

Re: Vaccine side-effects?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by allye (Post 669480)
Yeah we've NEVER had this problem with any of our other children, for some reason this happened to her. I am scared because of the link between vaccines and autism, and my oldest son has high functioning autism, and my youngest son is fully autistic... *sigh*

my DH wants a consult with our doctor before we vax..

:hugs:

Just wanted to add... with or without the docs "approval", research more mama!! Reasearch more.

allye 01-24-2007 12:19 AM

Re: Vaccine side-effects?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonphishers (Post 669485)
:hugs:

Just wanted to add... with or without the docs "approval", research more mama!! Reasearch more.

Oh I am going to for sure! I don't want anything happening to her :):hugs:

snowbird25ca 01-24-2007 12:39 AM

Re: Vaccine side-effects?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by allye (Post 669484)
This is good to know - thank you so much!
I know my daughter's daycare (not my 7 month old, my four year olds) has strict guidelines about the children being vaccinated... and yes of course I am going to listen to his wishes :) she is both of ours and if he has concerns I for one am not going to fight him on this. I mean I was always brought up with the notion that you have to vaccinate your children to keep them safe ETC...but this scared the living daylights out of me to see both of her little (well chubby legs LOL) legs go dark purple.
People are saying well maybe its because we had a health nurse who wasn't exactly the nicest to her, or they pushed in the wrong way causing the reaction, we don't know.

Sorry, I wasn't implying that I thought you'd go against your dh or fight him on it.. I was just saying that I'd pay a little more attention than usual and give them a bit of extra weight since dad's often don't have strong feelings like this... usually it's us moms who get the feelings of anticipatory dread and fear of something awful happening. :thumbsup: I was just thinking maybe this is daddy intuition going on. :goodvibes:

And it would've scared the bejeebies out of me too. :hugs:

ecoria 01-24-2007 01:36 AM

Re: Vaccine side-effects?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by allye (Post 669480)
Yeah we've NEVER had this problem with any of our other children, for some reason this happened to her. I am scared because of the link between vaccines and autism, and my oldest son has high functioning autism, and my youngest son is fully autistic... *sigh*

my DH wants a consult with our doctor before we vax..

with 2 autistic kids i'd venture a guess that your family is genetically predisposed to autism and would STOP all vax's until you could do some MAJOR research into it.

as for consulting your doctor, i wouldnt suggest taking what they say as gospel either as the vast majority of them will push vax's and tell you it was probably a one time freak reaction, blah blah blah. i really wouldnt put a whole lot of faith in what they have to say. i say either delay the appt or go for the check up and just refuse the vax's saying your doing your own research and will make another appt when you decide what you're going to do.

Seriously, with your family history, you really need to look into this, for your dd's sake as well as your other children regarding their boosters and such. A good place to start is MDC's vax board. also check out "what your dr may not tell you about childrens vaccinations" by stephanie cave MD. its a very good book, thats not totally anti vax and she recommends a delayed schedule. its a great starting resource, it goes into details on each of the diseases...symptoms, treatment, side effects, stats...and each of the vaxs including side effects, potential links, long term effects, etc...

good luck mama!

Hitchkids 01-24-2007 08:11 AM

Re: Vaccine side-effects?
 
Personally, I would delay and research and not do anything until you are totally comfortable with your decision. This is a hard thing to deal with at times. I have a brother who suffered neurological damage from a vaccine as a child. He talks about how he can remember being a happy person "before" and it totally changed his personality and our entire family. Then one of my kids had an unusual reaction to the same vaccine. Naturally, the ped and nurses blew it off and told me it was all normal. My gut tells me it's not and that for our family, we are simply genetically predisposed to have problems with them. They are not safe for everyone and if your child is the one who gets hurt, the small chance of something going wrong is not small enough. Not trying to scare anyone, really just thinking out loud. I'm also struggling with the idea that I'm doing something wrong or not protecting my kids if they don't get the vaccines but also feeling like they are at risk from them too. Wish there was an easier answer.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors