Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mammas that set a family menu... tips? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=902670)

vjbakke 01-06-2010 04:09 PM

Mammas that set a family menu... tips?

Can you share some tips? How do you choose what recipes to make for the week?

I would love to have a set menu to follow each week. We rarely eat out anymore and sometimes I am at a loss as to what to make.

ittybittycoconuts 01-06-2010 04:22 PM

Re: Mammas that set a family menu... tips?

I dont do a menu, more I make sure I have all the ingredients to complete meals. DH always asks for tacos so I make sure I have everything at all times. This week I decided fajitas and chow mein sounded good so I was sure to inventory and pick up the few things for those. Im an emotional chef I only cook what sounds good that day. I always keep my lazy meal on hand which is a bag of frozen terriyaki chicken from trader joes and a bag of stirfry vegies and i make some rice. The rice takes the longest to cook! other than that I know i have at least 5 meats, 5 sides and 5 vegies to mix and match. Im really not big on recipes, i find i spend more trying new ones with different ingredients than just having meat and potatos KWIM?

hona 01-06-2010 04:39 PM

I have recipes I know we like and recipes I want to try. I base my week's menu off of what I already have and what is on sale that week. I try to keep a few simple meals around in case I have a long day and don't want to/can't cook - like spaghetti or frozen pizzas. I get a lot of my recipes from allrecipes.com.

BabyLuvinMama 01-06-2010 04:44 PM

we have 6 People in the family so what we do is let each person pick one Night for a dinner they want (within reason) we plan at least a week in advance sometimes we plan out for the month ... then on the last day we have a free day which could be left overs from the night before or it could be Cereal and toast :)

an Example for Dinner for us in a week would be

Mon= Chilli
Tues= Tacos from the left over chilli
Wed= Spaghetti and Meatballs
Thurs= chicken with the Left over sauce from the night before over Rice
Friday= mac and cheese with ground burger and Snap peas
Saturday= Grilled Cheese and Soup
Sunday= whatever is in the house from the week

vjbakke 01-06-2010 05:35 PM

Thanks! I have found some good recipes on allrecipes.com

negrapy 01-06-2010 06:13 PM

we do one big shopping trip a week so before it i ask dh and pick out typically 5 dinner meals and another 3 lunches and then the weekly basics like eggs, tortillas etc whatever you use every week thinking about lunches and snacks, breakfast etc

I also like to have the pantry and freezer kept stocked with what are basics for us - that way i can at least throw together a soup or another fast meal

i find keeping a list of what i had planned on the fridge helps me remember what i should be making and use the ingridents in a more efficient fashion

i dont choose what nights for what though bc i like having the freedom to make what i feel like or feel like cooking or what the weather or time suggests

juliemom2faith 01-06-2010 06:30 PM

I usually make up a 2 week meal plan of the meals we like to eat(have not been using it while im pregnant since my cravings change daily) for instance We have spaghetti every monday night, tuesday night is usually some kind of seafood, wednesday we do veggie only, thursday is chicken or pork chops, friday is usually something different that i pick up because thats grocery day, saturday is hotdogs, hamburgers or sausages, sunday is roast of something.

SRUEDU 01-06-2010 07:00 PM

I typically make up a menu every 3 weeks or so. My older 2 like and are learning to cook, so they pick out a meal and figure out the ingredients they need. Then we have at least 2 sometimes 3 spaghetti meals on the menu. After that I just pick what sounds good. Once I have all the staples, I just pick what I want to make off the menu. So just because Tuesday says Potato Soup, doesn't mean we really have potato soup, we may Burgers & Fries from Friday instead.

Aleta 01-07-2010 12:30 AM

I make a menu every week from my freezer. Then I plan out what basics and sides we need and make my grocery list. When I'm at the store, I look for the reduced meats and what's on sale, and buy that. That will be the following week's meat dishes. And it goes in the freezer when I get home to get out of the freezer next week.

Basically, I make my menu for the week based on what meat we have, and just buy the accompaniments at the store. So I always get a good deal at least on my meat. Of course if its a REAL good deal, I buy lots for my freezer, but usually I always find enough reduced or sale meat to feed us a week.

I also plan for my freezer alot. So I will get a turkey after the holidays on sale and roast it, then put 6-7 baggies of meat I pulled off the bones for soups and casseroles. Or sometimes I even get the rotisserie chickens on clearance ($3.99 at my store). So I buy two, we eat one, and the other halves get pulled off the bone and in the freezer for soups and casseroles. Then I make stock from the bones and it goes in the freezer.

Sometimes when I plan for a meal for week one, I will plan an accompanying meal for week two. My family doesn't really like leftovers. So if we make tacos one night, I put the leftover taco meat in the freezer, and then next week we'll have taco soup with it. Or if we have spaghetti and meatballs, the rest go in the freezer for meatball subs the following week. And sometimes I do double the recipe so I can do that and have to cook less.

Hope this helps - its pretty easy, it just takes some planning. But its gotten to the point in my house where my kids are like, mom, what's on the list for dinner. And one week I was sick and didn't make a list and they freaked not knowing what to cook - lol - even though my freezer is stocked with at least a casserole or two, or an easy just reheat dish! KIDS - and hubbies ;) !!

Robin.A.LCC 01-07-2010 07:21 PM

I made a list of foods I knew I could cook without a recipe. And I try to have the necessary ingredients for various ones (not all Italian, or all chicken).

Quote:

I also like to have the pantry and freezer kept stocked with what are basics for us - that way i can at least throw together a soup or another fast meal

i find keeping a list of what i had planned on the fridge helps me remember what i should be making and use the ingridents in a more efficient fashion

i dont choose what nights for what though bc i like having the freedom to make what i feel like or feel like cooking or what the weather or time suggests
Agree

Quote:

And sometimes I do double the recipe so I can ...freeze... and have to cook less.
that too.

I need to get better about knowing what I have on hand, so I can better choose what to make tonight. It's hard these days, because I'm pregnant and am having a hard time cooking (meat, spicy, and acidic foods).