Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can this be done?!?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909034)

nicolewilbanks 01-15-2010 08:23 PM

Can this be done?!?!

I hope you don't think I'm crazy, but I have a question I'm serious about. Any advice is appreciated.

My daughter is 5 months old and was in the NICU for a few weeks after she was born. She was on a NG tube and was not allowed to breastfeed until a day before she was released (I pumped and it was bottle fed to her). Once we got home, she refused to latch and screamed for an hour if I didn't just feed her w/ the bottle. I had 2 LC work hours w/ me in trying to get dd to latch and eat. She did SNS, shields, every thing. I finally gave in :cry: and I regret it everyday. There are times I even cry while I'm giving her a bottle of formula b/c she is our last baby and I desperately wanted to successfully bf for at least a year.

This may be totally silly and not even possible but I have to ask. Is there any way that I can get my milk supply to come back? I think I've heard of adoptive mothers taking something so that they can bf their newly adoptive child, but I'm not sure.

FTR: She will latch. I've tried several different times to see what she would do.

TIA for any help or advice.

2&2 01-15-2010 08:30 PM

Re: Can this be done?!?!

I saw some advice on this at milkshare.com! Good Luck mama, I am sure it can be done, but it will probably not be an easy process! If you are really determined you can do it!!!!

Ali 01-15-2010 08:37 PM

I've heard it can be and there was a mama on here a couple of years ago who did just that. She started taking mother's milk and pumping around the clock. Only fed her baby w/ a SNS. I know she was getting some milk, not sure if she every got up to full-time feeding. But even a little is good right?

misidawnrn 01-15-2010 09:01 PM

I am still nursing my adopted 10mo DD check out www.asklenore.com it is a website for relactating, inducing lactation etc. you should just be able to put her to the breast with an sns and pump after wards.
just the baby sucking actually stimulates prolactin and oxytocin to make milk. blessed thistle and fenugreek, 3 capsules each 3 times a day, lots of water and oatmeal, look up the recipe for lactation cookies and if you need it, domperidone. I got mine from inhousepharmacy.com I would get baby to the breast now before she doesnt like it and won't take it. then feed her at the breast every time, even at night with the sns. It has only been 5 months so your milk should come back quickly.
good luck! feel free to pm me.

MamaWillow 01-15-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misidawnrn (Post 9337087)
I am still nursing my adopted 10mo DD check out www.asklenore.com it is a website for relactating, inducing lactation etc. you should just be able to put her to the breast with an sns and pump after wards.
just the baby sucking actually stimulates prolactin and oxytocin to make milk. blessed thistle and fenugreek, 3 capsules each 3 times a day, lots of water and oatmeal, look up the recipe for lactation cookies and if you need it, domperidone. I got mine from inhousepharmacy.com I would get baby to the breast now before she doesnt like it and won't take it. then feed her at the breast every time, even at night with the sns. It has only been 5 months so your milk should come back quickly.
good luck! feel free to pm me.

This is awesome! I think it would be great if you can get your milk going again!

nicolewilbanks 01-15-2010 09:52 PM

Thank you so much for the support mamas. I know it's a long shot but it's def something I want to try. Melissa, I'm def pm'ing you.

momof3boys1girl 01-15-2010 10:06 PM

check out kellymom lots of info on relactating

png_lovebirds 01-16-2010 07:29 AM

GL sweetie!

valerie mom of 4 01-16-2010 06:33 PM

Best of luck :)

VWgurl619 01-16-2010 07:56 PM

Good Luck! I'm sure tons of mamas got your back!
:cheer: