Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stripping and general washing help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9097)

Kimmomy2dom 05-26-2006 04:19 PM

Stripping and general washing help

OK apparently I need to strip my dipes, LOL. Someone want to help me out with that? What should I use?
Secondly, what's a good detergent to use in general? I'm thinking about going for something that's REALLY intended for cloth diaper use - like Allens or I see a lot of you using Sportwash. Where is the cheapest place to buy it? I will do powder, but don't normally. I think at this point I'd rather not play around with using regular free and clear detergents...doesn't seem to be working for us. Thanks for any help!

FitMommyOf2 05-26-2006 04:22 PM

Re: Stripping and general washing help

Hi there Kim,
I never had to strip my dipes, but I've heard that 'Dawn' dish detergent works well aswell as Sportswash, but latter seems to often cause a rash, so I'm not sure. I always just wash my dipes w/either 'Dawn' or 'Sun' and had never a prob.
As far as to where to buy the Sportswash, I've been told Walmart has it.

Sorry I'm no bigger help.

CMamma 05-26-2006 04:24 PM

I just do several washes on just HOT w/NO detergent to strip. I did hear a rave review from a friend about RLR though... might be worth a try if they are real bad.

As far as detergent, I make my own... but I think no surfactants are what you want.

Kimmomy2dom 05-26-2006 04:26 PM

Hmm, I heard the Dawn thing too, LOL. I'm scared to do anything... the reason I have to strip them is because ds is getting a rash from them. I might try the washes w/o anything. I'll keep looking around for other detergent ideas, too. Thanks for your help!

Psychomom 05-26-2006 05:16 PM

Boil as many pots of water as you can and add them to your washing machine.

ZooCrew10 05-27-2006 08:56 PM

I haven't read all the posts, but the ones I have read mention the Dawn dishsoap NON ULTRA, and it does work. For regular diaper washing I use Sun, inexpensive and doesn't leave a lot of residue. For smelly dipes, you might try a couple of capfulls of Simple Green too. We have really awful well water (broken softener), and when my dipes get the stinky well water build up smell, I use the Simple Green and it works great. You might want to also consider rinsing your dipes on a cold rinse prior to washing on a hot or warm cycle, then rinse them again in cold once the normal cycle is done if you're little one is experiencing rashes.

kkweight 05-28-2006 04:28 PM

I think before using Dawn you have a few things you can try first. I try nott o use Dawn because i hate adding extra things to my diapers. The simpiler the better IMHO.
Often times just washing them in the hottest possible water the water heater will make works great, and dont add anyhting to the water. I also add boiling water if needed. I set them on the hot/cold cycle and make it a short cycle. Let it agitate for a few minutes and then open the lid. If theres suds, then you know your adding too much detergents and your dealing with buildup. IF thats the case just keep washing in HOT until the water has no more suds in it. It will take quite a few washes but its worth it. Soemtimes if im in a hurry ill just shkip the cold rinse and reset my water to the hot wash over and over until theres no more suds. It goes a little faster that way.
When you check the water after it agitates if theres no suds and the water is clear you know that your adding enough detergent and theres no build up and so the smell is something else. If there no suds and the water is dirty looking you know that your not adding enough detergent and your not getting your diaper clean enough and you need to add a little more detergent. Makes sense?
Often times once you get the built up detergents washed out you wont have the smells anymore. So you can avoid the stripping methods. Normally i do an extra once a week wash in hot to keep an eye on my diapers and to help the build up from not happening.
HTH, hope i didnt confuse you.

SheilaJoy 05-28-2006 04:31 PM

When my dipes have extra stink, I use Dawn and also baking soda in a cold wash, which would probably work well for stripping as well. Then I use washing soda/simple green on my dipes. My dc have very sensitive skin, but we haven't had any problems with this routine.

SarahJane 05-28-2006 04:59 PM

I second the try a double hot wash first. The reason I'm doing cloth is my son had issues with disposables. I have tried to change detergents every time I buy it and that helps too. Turn your hot water tank up 30 minutes before you plan to double wash your diapers and then just wash them twice on the highest level of hot water x 2 then see if you have bubbles. If not wash in cold. We have hard water so once a week I also add calgon to the first rinse to really get the diapers rinsed throughly. I haven't tried anything but all natural detergents. I'd avoid using any dawn unless nothing else works. I always double rinse in cold water. So far we've only had one rash!

Good luck,

SJ

kkweight 05-28-2006 05:03 PM

Ive used Clagon once to strip instead of using Dawn and i liked the results. Its super easy to use.