Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How hard is it to go from 2 to 3? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9123)

amanda1188 05-26-2006 06:56 PM

How hard is it to go from 2 to 3?

I have a 4 y.o. and a 7 mo.old and really want 1(or 2:giggle: ) more baby in another year or two, but I'm really worried about DH and I being out numbered or not being able to give all the kids enough attention. I'm also worried about dealing w/2 kids while I'm pregnant with #3, because I've had some pretty bad morning sickness with the other 2. Another issue is that DH works alot and we don't have family close by ,so most of the time it'll just be me & the kids. How hard was it to go from 2 to 3 kids and how far apart are they in age? TIA!

ReagansMommy 05-26-2006 06:59 PM

Re: How hard is it to go from 2 to 3?

It was a piece of cake for us, but my older 2 were 10 and almost five when #3 arrived.

I also get tons of help from DH - I cal tell you that when they are older carting them around to various activities gets tricky :)

mrs_mike98 05-26-2006 07:23 PM

I hardly batted an eye when #3 joined us. My older two are 20 months apart, and they're best of friends, so they play well together and amuse themselves when I need time with the littlest one. individual times happen during naptime, outings, etc. it works out the way it needs to :D The overall age differences in mine are 20 months between 1 and 2, and 29 months between 2 and 3.

Proverbs169 05-26-2006 08:16 PM

It was pretty easy for us as well. Going from 0-1, that was the worst! We have 17 months between both "sets". It's hard, some days, but not that much harder than with 2.

christinewith4 05-26-2006 10:44 PM

Ha.Ha.Ha. Well..EVERYONE sugar coated it for me...told me oh. its not that bad, just one more hug, one more bowl of cereal, etc....

YEAH RIGHT. I had sooooo much more time to spend with each of them when we had 1 or 2, now I have like I am depriving them all. And I have no alone time... you cant go anywhere with out a kid being there. And babysitters are almost impossible! Thats the big one that hit me when our 3rd was born- suddenly no one wanted to watch them, b/c there was "too many" for them to handle all at once. We cant find anyone to watch them now that we have 4. The other big part is that each child is different and as they get older they all want to do different sports, clubs, etc, so you are contantly running a kid somewhere. Thats 4 kids to have to sit down and help with homework. 4 kids asking to use the phone, have a friend spend the night, etc. OH! another BIG one....restaurants are built for small families with like 2 kids...we have to wait forever to get a seat where we will all fit, gotta kiss booths good bye. And the places that have "kids eat free" are usually 1 kids per 1 adult. Vacation packages are made for small families too. Most hotels will charge extra for additional children. Transportation.... you have to buy a van large enough to hold everyone and dont forget they'll want to take friends places sometimes too, so you need something with alot of seats. Now that we have four, we no longer fit in my husbands car and have to take my 8 passenger van everywhere which takes alot more gas, etc.

I just figured I would let you know the other side of the story... ;)

wbkt8 05-26-2006 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christinewith4
Ha.Ha.Ha. Well..EVERYONE sugar coated it for me...told me oh. its not that bad, just one more hug, one more bowl of cereal, etc....

YEAH RIGHT. I had sooooo much more time to spend with each of them when we had 1 or 2, now I have like I am depriving them all. And I have no alone time... you cant go anywhere with out a kid being there. And babysitters are almost impossible! Thats the big one that hit me when our 3rd was born- suddenly no one wanted to watch them, b/c there was "too many" for them to handle all at once. We cant find anyone to watch them now that we have 4. The other big part is that each child is different and as they get older they all want to do different sports, clubs, etc, so you are contantly running a kid somewhere. Thats 4 kids to have to sit down and help with homework. 4 kids asking to use the phone, have a friend spend the night, etc. OH! another BIG one....restaurants are built for small families with like 2 kids...we have to wait forever to get a seat where we will all fit, gotta kiss booths good bye. And the places that have "kids eat free" are usually 1 kids per 1 adult. Vacation packages are made for small families too. Most hotels will charge extra for additional children. Transportation.... you have to buy a van large enough to hold everyone and dont forget they'll want to take friends places sometimes too, so you need something with alot of seats. Now that we have four, we no longer fit in my husbands car and have to take my 8 passenger van everywhere which takes alot more gas, etc.

I just figured I would let you know the other side of the story... ;)

WAY OT (the original question), but i grew up in a family of 4 kids and reading your thread brought back memories. we had the big van and there were always a couple extra kids along. ditto on the waits for tables at restaurants. and we regularly terrorized babysitters apparently. and i think mom must have spent hours driving carpool to various places (although we really didn't have that many separate activities that weren't either at school or church). i have to say though i don't know that i ever really felt short-changed on parental attention (i think that's probably something that you as a parent notice more than the kids, kwim). and we always had people to play with, etc. i'm not sure i'm up for having 4 myself, but i like my big family.

Samantha 05-26-2006 11:40 PM

:popcorn:

I have always heard that going from 1-2 was a lot harder than going from 2-3 I SURE HOPE SO!!!!!

So far, I have thought several times about "what was I thinking" because I have had such horrible morning sickness. PLUS my DH travels for work A LOT so I am alone with the kids quite a bit!

I guess time will only tell!

eightcowwife 05-27-2006 12:09 AM

for us it was easy the real challenge for us was going from 1 to 2 that was soooooo hard.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 05-27-2006 02:52 AM

I've wondered about this too, i was told from 1 to 2 kids would be hard, it wasn't much different, so i'm fearing when we add #3, it will happen to us then..hehee

great info, i'm glad i came across this post

Psychomom 05-27-2006 04:45 AM

It was a little harder than I was told...see, my middle daughter was 2.5 when the baby came along, and she was just, well, a two year old! She would wait until I was nursing the baby to do something she knew she wasn't allowed to do and when I would tell her to come to me so I could talk to her about it, she'd say no. In hindsight, it's really funny, but back then, with a babe attached to my boob, I was steaming! Another hard part is that #2 and #3 don't get along too well right now (but #1 and #2 get along great and #1 and #3 get along great.) It is harder to make one on one time, but it can be done (during other kids' naptimes and such.) And Christine's right--you're never alone, but I like that part. I love having my kids with me all the time and feel naked if I don't. And believe it or not, I'd rather go out with all three kids than just two of them (I guess mainly because my oldest is 8 and is a great help.) We don't use babysitters anyway, no matter how many kids we've had, so that's not been an issue for us.