Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Montessori School?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91373)

GoddessWifeMom 01-26-2007 06:36 PM

Montessori School??

Anyone send their DC to Montessori School??

I'm really interested in it, have been for a while now, tell me all about it. What's it like??

loni1090 01-26-2007 11:03 PM

Re: Montessori School??

I was about to
My co-worker said they do a lot of teaching.
Donovan had speech delay, so I thought this would be a bad idea and got him into a program through the district

Mrs489 01-27-2007 09:02 AM

Montessori schools can vary widely, as the term "montessori" is not regulated in any way. Many schools have national affiliations that are some guarantee of quality (ami is the strictest, ams is a bit more relaxed in general). If you are considering a Montessori school, I'd visit and plan to stay a while observing a work period. That will give you a good idea if it's the right place for your child. Make sure at least the lead teacher has a nationally recognized Montessori training certificate (accredited by NAMTE), preferably a hands-on course rather than a correspondence course. Ask about licensing as you would when considering a daycare, and the experience/turnover of the staff.

The Montessori method is a child-centered academic program. The children are "taught" individually or in small groups, and much "teaching" happens with few words, just demonstration. Children are allowed freedom to choose which work they do, and move through the curriculum at their own pace. The classroom is divided into several areas, where the "works" are displayed attractively on low shelves. There is an area for practical living exercises (pouring, spooning, food prep, polishing, flower arranging), Sensorial materials (pink tower, broad stair, knobbed cylinders, geometric cabinet), math, language, geography, science, art. The children typically have a long (1.5 hours) uninterrupted work time, short group times for stories and songs, and time to play outdoors.

Any questions feel free to PM me, before I was a SAHM I was a Montessori teacher/director of school.

GoddessWifeMom 01-27-2007 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs489 (Post 681191)
Montessori schools can vary widely, as the term "montessori" is not regulated in any way. Many schools have national affiliations that are some guarantee of quality (ami is the strictest, ams is a bit more relaxed in general). If you are considering a Montessori school, I'd visit and plan to stay a while observing a work period. That will give you a good idea if it's the right place for your child. Make sure at least the lead teacher has a nationally recognized Montessori training certificate (accredited by NAMTE), preferably a hands-on course rather than a correspondence course. Ask about licensing as you would when considering a daycare, and the experience/turnover of the staff.

The Montessori method is a child-centered academic program. The children are "taught" individually or in small groups, and much "teaching" happens with few words, just demonstration. Children are allowed freedom to choose which work they do, and move through the curriculum at their own pace. The classroom is divided into several areas, where the "works" are displayed attractively on low shelves. There is an area for practical living exercises (pouring, spooning, food prep, polishing, flower arranging), Sensorial materials (pink tower, broad stair, knobbed cylinders, geometric cabinet), math, language, geography, science, art. The children typically have a long (1.5 hours) uninterrupted work time, short group times for stories and songs, and time to play outdoors.

Any questions feel free to PM me, before I was a SAHM I was a Montessori teacher/director of school.

Oh my gosh thank you so much for all the info.

I am definately planning on visiting my local one first and take a tour etc.

I'll have to look into the regulations and such because I am in Canada so it's probably different than the US.

I do know a lady from my Church, really wonderful woman, who teaches at the Montessori school here so I will ask her some info on our local one specifically.

I really like the teaching approach and both my DH and I think it would be the right kind of atmosphere for our DD, DS is too young yet.

desertblossom79 01-27-2007 05:54 PM

We incorporate alot of Montessori ideas in our homeschool. There are lots of books on using Montessori methods at home. The materials can be expensive but since you're at home and the materials don't need to withstand 100s of children over many many years, you can make your own rather inexpensively. There is a yahoo group set up for those making their own Montessori materials. If you'd like more info on using Montessori methods at home, just let me know. :mrgreen:

Jeni

sienna 01-27-2007 07:19 PM

my son goes to one....and ita that it must be an authentic school or you are throwing away your money. I researched my guts out and the school we chose has far exceeded my expectations.

For good info on the subject read the book "Montessori, The Science Behind the Genius."

hth. pm if you have any questions.

Shawna_L 01-27-2007 07:44 PM

I completely agree with doing your homework when looking at Montessori schools. My future SIL is a "lead teacher" at a local Montessori school and doesn't even know what the Montessori method is. She has absolutely no training...in anything. I cringe whenever I hear women rave about this school.