Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Western Canada (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Selling cloth diapers as an at home business? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916545)

Kaitlyn1 01-26-2010 07:11 PM

Selling cloth diapers as an at home business?

Ok so I was wondering if there's Canadian (or one that's available in canada) diapers company that works like Avon or Mary K, like where you become a representative and sell their products? I would love to do something like that, but I know I couldn't like start up my own business like that, for a few reasons, like the fact that I can't sew! And the work that would be required to prepare orders.
But if I could sell, again like they do with avon, that'd be so amazing!
And since I'm new to all this cloth stuff, I really don't know what's out there! If there even anything like that around? So any info would be great!
Thanks ladies!!

Jinxiepie 01-27-2010 11:29 AM

Re: Selling cloth diapers as an at home business?

I have been thinking the same thing as you. I have been doing "home parties" with my diapers and that works well, I take samples to the party, demonstrate how they work, take orders, make them, then deliver them. I have been thinking about letting other moms do this too, they could just buy one or two diapers to use as their display diapers and then they can do a "home party" and place and order with me, then they get a commission. With Avon, you sell the product at retail price, then when you place your order, you get a discount, so you keep the difference as your profit.

I think the home party option is better than say an avon style catalogue.

Does anyone else think selling my diapers to home-party hostess mom's is a good idea to do?

NoraD 01-27-2010 04:07 PM

Totally, totally, TOTALLY!! I'm in Kamloops BC and everyone always says I could sell ice to an Eskimo. (I'm very passionate about products I believe in, and as the baby of my family, I guess I had to "make my case" for everything :) )

Interested to hear what others say!
Nora

Jinxiepie 01-27-2010 08:51 PM

I've been thinking about this all day, and I'm really getting pumped! No one is doing this, all the diaper companies expect wholesale accounts from people with business numbers, which means homeselling is out for alot of moms. I could so do this easily. I have some basic graphic design training from university and the software, I can easily do up a brochure and get it printed at a printers, and all that, so that the mom's who host home parties could have brochures to show and order forms. I'm thinking I really like the format that Epicure Selections and Passion Parties use. It would be even better for me, this way, I can sew up dipes custom per order, and it's more efficient with my time than one-by-one customs, but there could still be some wiggle room for mom's that want to order a custom print at a party. I'm thinking I could offer sized fitteds, one-size fitteds and AIO's as well as wool interlock.

I'm interested to hear what others say.

jmrw2 02-07-2010 10:40 PM

Well I read this thread last night and I keep mulling it over...
Here would be my questions:
What kind out outlay would there be for the mama doing the parties? ie: initial set up cost, etc.
What benefits would you offer the hostess? Who covers the cost of those benefits?
Would it work to connect with more than one WAHM in order to offer more than one type of dipe, accessories, etc?
It would be very neat to have samples of fabric available for custom orders, etc.
How many diapers would the consultant need on hand to set out a nice display?
Someone whose actually tried the WAHM's products will be a better salesperson - would you offer some sort of discount to them so they can test them out?

Anyways...these are the random things running through my head. :giggle2: I think it is a very neat idea. I could see myself having a lot of fun with something like that.

Kaitlyn1 02-08-2010 02:07 AM

Hi!
Yeah it'd be really handy. I actually posted this on the all of Canada area and someone actually knew a company that does do this!

You can become a demonstrator and get 15% of your sales. Which isn't bad for diapers. They also have other stuff like those great Moby wraps and such!
I'm totally thinkin of doing it cause there's only one person even close to where i am, and I've never heard of her so she obviously doesn't advertise.
Anyway this would be much easier than starting one on your ownm alot less mess lol.
Just thought I'd let anyway whose interested know about this company! I'd also be really interested in opinions about the whole thing as it's all newer to me and I don't want to get into something really complicated and it sounded like some of you here knew more about this stuff!

Grr. I can't post the actual link cause there's only 6 post or something.
But the company is called: Under the Moon
I'm sure it's the only one, but if not it's a super purple colored site. And they are out of Strathroy, On, Canada! Which it will say on the bottom. So it's nice that it's Canadian too,
Anyway there we go! :thumbsup:

KimA 02-10-2010 09:26 AM

I believe that the company that sells the Indisposable diapers is like this and they are in Canada.
I spoke to the owner and founder of the company last year, very nice and helpful, great products too!
Here is the link http://www.mylilmiracle.com/

Jinxiepie 02-10-2010 10:21 PM

I'm thinking on it. I don't see why anyone would need to buy alot of stuff to start, just whatever they want to, to make a good demonstration I 'd say you need a cover, a fitted an AIO/pocket and wetbags. If you make your CDing demo too complicated, ppl will get overwhelmed. I would probably let someone buy their demo stuff at my cost, and offer a fixed structure in $ discount to the hostess. most home-party stuff is 5-10% of sales goes to the hostess of the party as a discount on her purchase, and it comes out of the demonstrator's sales. So if you sell $500 in sales at a party, the hostess gets a $25 -$50 gift card. I still have to see what the profit would be for the demonstrator. There is such a range in these parties from 10% to 40%, but the markup to retail on my dipes is not that high, I cant give a 40% discount to a seller, that's my whole profit margin. Plus, youre not selling jams or eyeshadow here, so it's pretty reasonable to think each person who comes to a cloth diaper party could easily spend $50-$100. I'm interested in finding out more about the company that does this party thing already in canada.

bradsbabymama 05-12-2010 01:30 PM

I have been considering AND looking for info on how to start an online store for Cloth diapers and such, and would definitely be interested in hearing more, if you have decided to do this.. thanks!

Bumby 05-26-2010 09:36 AM

did you mamas want to sell the major brands or WAHM stuff? I have another mama that was asking about selling my stuff in Calgary. I might be interested in branching out. I am so loving the woolies right now, but there is other stuff as well. It would be so nice to keep it in Canada.