Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   boiling inserts.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=919)

lovemygirls 04-24-2006 11:03 AM

boiling inserts....

Now I've boiled all the inserts and they stink...now what do I do? Do I strip them now and use a little dawn?

vick 04-24-2006 11:22 AM

Re: boiling inserts....

Hemp inserts? Are they new? I've never boiled anything, but a quick hot was with Dawn certainly couldn't hurt...

lovemygirls 04-24-2006 11:31 AM

they are hemp inserts and Microfiber inserts. They are not new. My dd has been having really bad diaper rash and someone told me to try boiling them first. I had a post about it yesterday. So do I just take a little dawn and scrub the inserts and then put them through a bunch of rinses in the washing machine? :confused:

MamaJo 04-24-2006 06:45 PM

Do you have an automatic dishwasher? Try running them through that. I did with no soap and it really helped.

What REALLY helped my dipes & inserts smell fresh was switching to Charilies Soap laundry powder - its a detergent not a soap though lol But it works really well. I got it from Sunshine Diapers with a free shipping deal...not sure if thats still going on though.

MamaJo 04-24-2006 06:52 PM

Oh, I thouht I'd add....I ran them through the dishwasher AFTER the typical stripping in the washing machine so they were very clean when they went in LOL

lovemygirls 04-24-2006 07:19 PM

thanks Jo!!!

Now after boiling them do I just run them through a hot wash in the washing machine or do I use a little dawn and scrub them and then throw them in the washing machine and run a couple washes with no detergent?

Lovinmy2boys 04-24-2006 07:29 PM

I would do the dawn first and then run them thru 2 hot washes, and then rinse rinse rinse! That worked with some hemp inserts I had a problem with. Good luck!

vick 04-24-2006 07:30 PM

Hopefully someone who has done this will answer soon. In the interim, you might try a hot wash (maybe even turn up the water heater just for this wash) with a few drops of Dawn and then an extra cold rinse?

FitMommyOf2 04-24-2006 07:34 PM

^Yeahthat^ what the mamas already said!

Jo,
I'll have to remember your hint w/the dishwasher! Too funny! I can picture DH's face when he sees me taking inserts out of it! LMAO!

lovemygirls 04-24-2006 07:50 PM

thanks everybody for the suggestions. I'm off to strip them and then put them through a couple hot washes/cold rinses.

I'll try the disherwasher too!! Thanks guys!:D