Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pump Recommendations? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921)

Emma 04-24-2006 02:22 PM

Pump Recommendations?

I'm kind of lost as to which breast pump to get. I like the Medela Pump In Style, but I think that would be more of a luxury/want than probably what I really need. I plan on working after the baby's around 2 mos old, but I would only be working for 10 hrs a week (while she's home w/dad). Which pump would be best for that? Manual or electric? Thanks, ladies!! :)

ocfb16 04-24-2006 02:31 PM

Re: Pump Recommendations?

If you are pumping quite often the Pump in style would work out great. I tried the manual pumps for awhile and couldnt get enough milk. Once I bought the Pump in Style the milk just flowed out. I would definatly recommend that you splurge a little, it will be worth it. Also the first few times you pump have your baby in there with you or close your eyes and think about them nursing it really helps you to get more milk. HTH!

pugmom 04-24-2006 06:41 PM

Hi there - I would probably do the manual pump (avent isis) for that few hours to be honest. The cost difference is so big, I would at least give the manual a try first. If you have problems then maybe spring for the $$ electric.

JMO - which doesn't mean much since I only pump once a day if that :p

CMamma 04-24-2006 06:53 PM

I've used several - I used the Medela PIS when I worked full-time in the military and was away from DS for days sometimes... and it was awesome & totally needed. That being said, I needed something of that caliber when my average day was 14 hours.

Now I am a WAHM but am away from DS sometimes or pump to store just in case or for the occasional relative to feed DS... I have the Avent Isis & LOVE it. Honestly, I can get the same amount from that pump as I would w/the Medela PIS, it's just that I don't need to break out something that powerful for an occasional pump session.

GL!

heather_c 04-24-2006 07:38 PM

I have both the PIS and Isis and like them for different reasons. I have taken my Isis to many places without an electrical outlet, like a ski slope bathroom. :) If I have an outlet, I would definintely choose the PIS. I found my PIS at www.hackleyhme.com. Their prices are only available by email, but I got the Advanced PIS for $220 with no tax or shipping. This was the best deal I could find. Ebay is a great source for new in box Isis.

One good hint, if you use a hospital pump while in the hospital, they will give you an extra set of pump tubing and horns to keep as they cannot be reused. Good luck.

ksl1026 04-24-2006 08:07 PM

Agreed! I also have the PIS & Isis, and like them for different reasons. I use the PIS for work (I pump once/day, as I only work 8-12) and keep the Isis at home. For me, the Isis would never work for me at work. Since you can only do one side at a time, it would take me close to 1/2 hour to get both done. If you are only working 10 hours, and have to spend 1/2 an hour each day, that is a big chunk of time away from work - that's where the double electric is worth the $$ - I can be in & out in 15 minutes (including setting up and cleaning up). Plus, you can always use the PIS for subsequent children. :)

stacim 04-24-2006 08:49 PM

I too have both the PIS and Isis. Both work great, just depends on your situation. You mentioned that you will only be working 10 hours a week, but you didn't mention how that breaks down. If it is a longer stretch over 1-2 days and you are limited on time to pump, the PIS (or another electric) would certainly be worthwhile. If it is for shorter times spread over more days, the manual might just be fine, since you may not need as much milk (you could possibly pump some at home as well in case you don't get enough at work). Keep in mind that once the baby is a little older and/or eating solids, you may not need to pump as much or at all.

HTH!
Staci

havanadaydreamin 04-25-2006 08:48 PM

I have the Ameda Purely Yours and the Isis. I pump twice a day at work right now, and there is no way that I could do that with the manual one. I just don't have that much time.

The Purely Yours is comparable to the PIS but a lot cheaper. I got a new one with the bag off Ebay for $150 and my manual Isis one was $50.

Yarn Hollow 04-25-2006 09:44 PM

Is there a way for you to rent a pump to see if you like it before you buy it? Some hospital supply stores rent breast pumps. I rented a Medela Lactina for 8 months, kept it at home. My work schedule was such that I only had to pump at home. Maybe you could try a PIS for a month or so to see if it works, while investing in a manual and use that as well.

I used to use the Lactina, but now I only do a Medela manual pump when I am going to be away from the baby (almost 2) for more than 8 hours, which is rare. I was away for a weekend for work, and pumped 3 times per day while away then got my supply back up with tea.

Prettylocks 04-25-2006 09:54 PM

I really like my Advent Isis. I love my Medela Harmony- fewer parts to keep track of. Both are great manual pumps. I just feel like a cow when I am hooked up to an electric one, lol. HTH!