Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=923324)

doodah 02-04-2010 07:50 PM

What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

I thought this would be a fun discussion. Luckily, my family and friends are very supportive of our choices (or they keep their mouth closed) although I wouldn't consider my choices super crunchy.

skolbut 02-04-2010 07:51 PM

Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

Selective, and then nonvax. Stepmom is a public health nurse so no way was she letting that slide :) Er... I may have told her a little white lie to shut her up.

TofuScramble 02-04-2010 07:51 PM

Re: What "natural" parenting choice freaked your family and friends out the most?

My home waterbirth... but once I eased their concerns (some wondered if the baby would drown being born underwater)... they were cool with it.
Also... cloth diapers, wipes, mama pads, and family cloth... most of my family is pretty grossed out by it all lol.

doodah 02-04-2010 07:55 PM

they thought the baby would drown?! sorry but that is pretty funny. I am guessing you "educated" them quickly. I am sure almost all of my family and friends would freak out about family cloth for sure.

rosefall 02-04-2010 07:56 PM

So far, family bed. My MIL was so worried during DS's first 9 months that he would get killed in our bed and told me almost every time she saw me that SIL's friend's (who cosleeps) doctor told her it was dangerous. My parents either didn't notice, or didn't care.

TalkinBoutMyGirl 02-04-2010 07:57 PM

Everyone either said "eww" or "you won't do it very long" to CDing.

My grandma and her boyfriend insist on "joking" about how I "don't feed that baby right" because I make most of her food and don't feed her ice cream and candy canes.

I frequently get told that "well we just lay S down and let him cry"..sorry but not my kiddo.

And I get the eye roll about ERF because "S is FF in my car"...well frankly I don't exactly care what S is doing bc his mom needs to DO SOME FRIGGIN RESEARCH!!!

Only my mom and dad know that I don't vax...that is definitely not something I want to have to deal with so I just lie to my family about it if anyone asks.

Not sure all of those are "natural" parenting but I just get a lot of crap about the way I parent regardless of if it's natural or just not mainstream...felt good to get all that off my chest lol

ETA: I'm not sure I really answered your question lol I don't think my family exactly "freaked" about any of this...I just NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT lol

mamatje 02-04-2010 08:01 PM

Choosing to not have an epidural was the main one, everyone thought I was crazy first time round and even crazier now I'm doing it again knowing how much it hurts!

I'm pretty sure cloth diapers will get a few raised eyebrows too but most of them know better than to argue with me by now!

mamatje 02-04-2010 08:01 PM

Choosing to not have an epidural was the main one, everyone thought I was crazy first time round and even crazier now I'm doing it again knowing how much it hurts!

I'm pretty sure cloth diapers will get a few raised eyebrows too but most of them know better than to argue with me by now!

ShayneLeMaster 02-04-2010 08:03 PM

my family:

co-sleeping , No CIO , a lilt weirded out by cloth diapering , and no one has ever BF in my family so i think that was as weird as they made it kwim?

My IL's:

having kids....and taking care of them , showing them we loved them , spending time with them over freinds/partying ...

im a nut cause I BF according to my MIL cause my son gets "off" on it, and we cant afford forumla.., im killing my kids cause we delay vax ( they get all the vax just not more than one at a time ) , co-sleeping , cloth diapering ( we must not be able to afford diapers :giggle: while my son is wearing a 25$ diaper and 70$ woolies ) carseats after age two... we are worry warts, gentle discipline means we are sissys and are kids are going to take over the house in a couple years...

so yea lol my IL's suck

ShayneLeMaster 02-04-2010 08:03 PM

my family:

co-sleeping , No CIO , a lilt weirded out by cloth diapering , and no one has ever BF in my family so i think that was as weird as they made it kwim?

My IL's:

having kids....and taking care of them , showing them we loved them , spending time with them over freinds/partying ...

im a nut cause I BF according to my MIL cause my son gets "off" on it, and we cant afford forumla.., im killing my kids cause we delay vax ( they get all the vax just not more than one at a time ) , co-sleeping , cloth diapering ( we must not be able to afford diapers :giggle: while my son is wearing a 25$ diaper and 70$ woolies ) carseats after age two... we are worry warts, gentle discipline means we are sissys and are kids are going to take over the house in a couple years...

so yea lol my IL's suck