Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need some reassurance (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9268)

Genna 05-26-2006 11:39 PM

Need some reassurance

I've only posted a couple times on DS, but on my regular boards there isn't anybody on right now, and I need some reassurance or advice or something!

DS is 17 months old, Wednesday afternoon/evening he threw up a few times and I could tell he wasn't feeling great. Yesterday he seemed alright, just a little cranky and not wanting to eat alot. But it seemed like he was pretty much over whatever he had... Then today, one of the first things he did was projectile vomit everything from yesterday. He took 2 - 2hour naps today (Usually only takes one), and was just really lethargic and out of it. He only had maybe 2 or 3 wet diapers (thats including last nights diaper, and none were very wet), and no poopy diapers at all since yesterday morning. This is a kid that poops like 4 times a day normally. He nursed a few times today, and had maybe 1.5 sippys of water. He also threw up again this afternoon, but there wasn't much to come up. I'm not used to seeing him so... limp and lethargic.... when he wasn't whining he was just kind of staring out into space, or at the tv... I just put him to bed a minute ago and before I put him down I changed him and tried to get him to sit up on the floor and he just kind of plopped over like he couldn't hold himself up. Oh and he feels warm, but not like he's burning up really... of course I can't find the damn thermometer.

Is this normal for a sick toddler?? He has never been sick before besides the sniffles, so I have no clue what is normal or anything, and I guess I'm kind of freaking out seeing him like this! I hate for my baby to be sick! I guess I'm just looking for someone to either tell me this is normal and he'll be fine, or to take him to the ER or something...Thank you!!

Hayley 05-26-2006 11:44 PM

Re: Need some reassurance

Take him to the ER my son was like that last month and he was so happy other then the vomit but ended up he had pneumonia all the same things you are discribing. and please let me know!

Hayley 05-26-2006 11:47 PM

Also insist that they do an xray my son was just getting it and they almost did not do one because they thought he was teething low and behold there was a tiny spot on his lung!!!

Good Luck Momma

Genna 05-26-2006 11:50 PM

Thank you for replying! I am thinking of taking him in ... I don't know if I should wait until morning though. How long was your son vomitting for? My DS he will puke and freak out for a little, then once I have him cleaned up he seems to be alright, but then a little while later he is whiny and clingy- which is how he was all day today. He's thrown up 5 times between Wednesday and today...

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 05-26-2006 11:57 PM

i'd take him into the ER, they cant turn you away, and the dr will have to check him out, i hope hes ok, please keep us updated.

Hayley 05-26-2006 11:57 PM

I took him with in 24 hours you should go asap with him being lethargic I would really be concerned! if you have the means go now really. I am not a fan of the ER but when they are like that something is up. and I am not trying to scare you either just worried :)

please keep me posted!
Hayley

MamaZ 05-27-2006 12:03 AM

I would take him to the ER too. I hope all is ok though :hugs:

vfuller 05-27-2006 09:12 AM

I'd say go with your gut feeling, if you think you need to take him in do it. My DS (22 months now) was sick with a stomach bug both in January and March. Both times the throwing up lasted for 5 days. I called the ped, but the nurse said the most important thing was to make sure he was getting enough fluids so he didn't get dehydrated. She suggested giving him 1-2 ounces every 10 minutes, then slowly increasing the amount after he kept it down for 4 hours. She said as long as he would take the liquids and didn't have a super high fever, that I didn't need to bring him in.

4boys4me 05-27-2006 11:41 AM

yes, I would take him in too. My dr. said that if a sick kid is up and playing more than likely they will get over whatever it is they have but if a sick kid is lethargic and not doing anything or even smiling than your best bet is to have them seen asap.. (((HUGS))) I hope he gets better.

raceNzanesmom 05-27-2006 01:27 PM

I agree, lethargic and not drinking or peeing would worry me. How's he doing today? Has he seen the doc yet?

:hugs: