Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Discrimination... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93099)

laniesmommy 01-30-2007 01:42 PM

Discrimination...

Anybody ever been asked to leave or cover up because somebody finds nursing offensive? :ahh:

I was in a situation yesterday that gave me a run for my $. Since I knew I was protected by law and I am rather outspoken, I was able to deal with it. Yet I'm still feeling :lemmeathim: about it.

Wanna share stories to make this Mama feel not so alone? :please:

Melissa

moonphishers 01-30-2007 01:51 PM

Re: Discrimination...

I have never!!! omg - I can't beleive people will still say something.. Cna I ask - did the offended person tell you or have an employee or somthing tell you???

Good for you for standing up to it...

Calideedle 01-30-2007 02:11 PM

I have had one experience in Chillis when I was feeding my DD & the man that the table next to us said "OH GREAT! NOW MY DINNER IS RUINED!" & "THATS WHAT BATHROOMS ARE FOR" but I have never been told to leave or stop nursing + poor person who ever tried to say that ....... they'll get a show & a black eye (not really :giggle:)

What happened??

laniesmommy 01-30-2007 02:12 PM

I'll spill the entire story, but it's long!

I took my girls to a local homeschooling co-op day. It's a newly formed co-op and it was the first day of classes. I dropped them off at their class and went to the office area to fill out liability forms and to pay. After I paid, I was shown the nursery where I was told I could play with my baby (19 months).

It was a room full of preschoolers with their Mamas, but I noticed a large bag of duplo blocks in the corner so I took Elena on over to play with them. We had our back turned to the mothers who had the children in a circle. Elena asked to nurse. I am a very discreet nurser, especially in public. Not that I feel that I have to be, but it's just the way I am. A mother went storming out of the room and went and told the director that my "doing that" was offending her and asked her to ask me to leave or to cover up! :banghead:

So, the director comes in and tells me that I'm offending somebody and she did proceed to ask me to leave or cover up. I told her I wouldn't do that, but I would take my money back, and I was appalled that their organization would blatantly disregard the state law that I'm protected under. She asked me how she could make the problem better. I told her it wasn't my problem. I HAD NO PROBLEM. So, I went to sit in my car because class was almost over and I didn't want to pull the girls and have them find out how upset I was.

Meanwhile, the director comes out to my van and tells me that they've enstated a policy that a breastfeeding mother can nurse where-ever she wants to (uh, the law already says that--duh!). Anyway, she asks me to stay, apologizes, yada, yada.

I'm on the fence. Should I go back?

And to top it all off (if you get this far), the "offended" mother confronted ME outside afterwards!! She says, "I thought we could be adults about this". Um, hello!! I'm not the one who told on somebody else for nurturing their child!! I took the opportunity to educate her on the benefits and importance of breastfeeding. But in the end, she still refused to call it anything other than "that". She kept saying, "when you do that to your child" and "I've never dealt with anybody who has done that". I asked her if we could call it breastfeeding and she refused!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

It was just a bad day in my neighborhood.

If you managed to get this far, thanks for reading. This truly is a VERY shortened version of what took place.

Melissa

Fither 01-30-2007 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmommy (Post 692541)

I took my girls to a local homeschooling co-op day. It's a newly formed co-op and it was the first day of classes. I dropped them off at their class and went to the office area to fill out liability forms and to pay. After I paid, I was shown the nursery where I was told I could play with my baby (19 months).

It was a room full of preschoolers with their Mamas, but I noticed a large bag of duplo blocks in the corner so I took Elena on over to play with them. We had our back turned to the mothers who had the children in a circle. Elena asked to nurse. I am a very discreet nurser, especially in public. Not that I feel that I have to be, but it's just the way I am. A mother went storming out of the room and went and told the director that my "doing that" was offending her and asked her to ask me to leave or to cover up! :banghead:

So, the director comes in and tells me that I'm offending somebody and she did proceed to ask me to leave or cover up. I told her I wouldn't do that, but I would take my money back, and I was appalled that their organization would blatantly disregard the state law that I'm protected under. She asked me how she could make the problem better. I told her it wasn't my problem. I HAD NO PROBLEM. So, I went to sit in my car because class was almost over and I didn't want to pull the girls and have them find out how upset I was.

Meanwhile, the director comes out to my van and tells me that they've enstated a policy that a breastfeeding mother can nurse where-ever she wants to (uh, the law already says that--duh!). Anyway, she asks me to stay, apologizes, yada, yada.

And to top it all off (if you get this far), the "offended" mother confronted ME outside afterwards!! She says, "I thought we could be adults about this". Um, hello!! I'm not the one who told on somebody else for nurturing their child!! I took the opportunity to educate her on the benefits and importance of breastfeeding. But in the end, she still refused to call it anything other than "that". She kept saying, "when you do that to your child" and "I've never dealt with anybody who has done that". I asked her if we could call it breastfeeding and she refused!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

If you managed to get this far, thanks for reading. This truly is a VERY shortened version of what took place.

Melissa

i have no words. none that i can type here anyways.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: to you for handling it so well and for giving your child the best.

moonphishers 01-30-2007 02:17 PM

hmmm... I think you showed great composure - more than I think I could have.

okay - off the top of my head I would print out the state law in your state and tell them you will c ome back only if and when they post in big letters , the state law in at least 3 different places as well as a list of the top 5 benefits of breastfeeding as well. :giggle: I mean it. I mean if you planned on pulling them out and asking for a refund any how - how would asking this of them hurt???

I can't believe it still :rolleyes: same goes to you calideddle... huh? dinner ruined? whatever - have a hooters girl walk by and see if he says the same :p

laniesmommy 01-30-2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calideedle (Post 692538)
I have had one experience in Chillis when I was feeding my DD & the man that the table next to us said "OH GREAT! NOW MY DINNER IS RUINED!" & "THATS WHAT BATHROOMS ARE FOR" but I have never been told to leave or stop nursing + poor person who ever tried to say that ....... they'll get a show & a black eye (not really :giggle:)

What happened??

That's insane! I would've asked him if he wanted milk with his burger. :lostit:

I feel so sad for the ignorance in our society.

Calideedle 01-30-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmommy (Post 692541)

Melissa

That is CRAZY! And "that" is the best thing you can do for your child, ugghhh, that makes me mad! I cant believe some people!!!!!! I also would be unsure about sending my DC back there if the school is so quick to tell you to stop feeding your DD in the most natural way what else are they going to do?

:hugs: Hugs to you! I definatly wouldnt have been so calm!

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonphishers (Post 692566)
I can't believe it still :rolleyes: same goes to you calideddle... huh? dinner ruined? whatever - have a hooters girl walk by and see if he says the same :p

I know! DH said I should have squirted him in the eye! :hehe2:

Calideedle 01-30-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmommy (Post 692581)
That's insane! I would've asked him if he wanted milk with his burger. :lostit:

I feel so sad for the ignorance in our society.

LOL!!!!!!:laugh:

I know, its sad so many people cant stand to see a baby breastfeeding but dont mind a plastic bottle in their mouths :headscratch:

2babiesndiaps 01-30-2007 03:04 PM

I know, its sad so many people cant stand to see a baby breastfeeding but dont mind a plastic bottle in their mouths :headscratch:[/QUOTE]

And its not ok to breastfeed in public, but victoria secret displays are fine! ARG!