Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Pacifiers? Bottles? Help, please. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=932086)

MamaJoyful 02-17-2010 07:04 PM

Pacifiers? Bottles? Help, please.

I get overwhelmed with the choices at the store! Which pacifiers are best accepted by breastfeeding babies? (He is 5 weeks old.) Also, which bottles work best? I haven't used pacifiers or bottles for the last couple, and I just don't know which ones to pick, lol! There are only like 100 choices out there. He does not seem to want the Gerber NUK pacifier. I am wanting to try to encourage him to take a pacifier and bottle so that he can occasionally be contented without nursing. Thanks for any help! :goodvibes:

momtoLirael 02-17-2010 07:10 PM

Re: Pacifiers? Bottles? Help, please.

its very specific to the kid. just have to buy and try. when dd was very young she liked the wide nuk bottles then we tried evenflo the switched to breastflo(slowest bottles on the market). now we are back at the evenflo bottles, at 6m she wants a slightly faster bottle. she hates the nuk bottles but loves the nuk pacifiers(she does not suck on them she holds the rubber nipple and chews on the shield). We also tried the mam pearls (after seeing that other people have had those come apart we are retiring them) and some classic pooh ones which she hated.

smashncakes 02-17-2010 07:38 PM

Every kid is different...DS would only take Soothie pacifiers for the first six months or so, then switched to the nuk pacifiers...he took the Playtex drop-in bottles from 6-9 weeks, then decided he was having absolutely nothing to do with bottles whatsoever. DD would never ever ever take a bottle or pacifier, regardless of brand.

lovespepper 02-17-2010 07:39 PM

My dd is 7 months, ebf, sucks her thumb and takes the avent paci.

doodah 02-17-2010 07:51 PM

I was told (from an LC) to get a pacifier that is shaped like your nipple. i know that sounds weird but the NUKs work for my girls and I do have sort of flatter nipples....total overshare I know but that can help you decide. My YDD is still BF'ing and we have the best sucess with the Adiri bottles. Not sure if I spelled that right....but it is very similar to the breast. If you son is not BF'ing, then I would go with the same brand for bottle and paci.

mamatje 02-18-2010 06:17 AM

I'm hearing good things about the new Tommee Tippee range at Babies R Us, it's supposed to be the closest to nipple shaped for those trying to avoid bottle confusion. I think they are still on buy one get one 50% off until the 20th. I invested in a set of these and the sterilizer this time but haven't used them yet. I used Avent before but they've just gotten too expensive for me. As others say it's down to the individual child, they all like different ones!

I used MAM and NUK pacifiers with my dd. They were the only two she'd have.

beaute_marquee 02-18-2010 01:49 PM

Both my boys are thumbsuckers (well, ods isn't anymore), so I can't help you with the paci. I've been told to find bottles abd pacis that are shaped most like the breast. Also to use the same brand of paci as bottle. Both of mine will take any bottle that has bm in it. They don't care what it's shaped like or who is holding it. I liked the nuby bottles because they graduate to a soft sippy, and I try to get them on to that by seven or eight months.

MamaJoyful 02-18-2010 02:00 PM

Thank you. I will head to BRU and see what they have. I did pick up some Evenflo glass bottles for storing breast milk. They come with a neat plastic outer now. Innovative. Hmmm, I might just see if he will take these, lol! That would be simple. And, yes, it makes sense to choose something similar to the breast. For me, that means Avent is kinda out, even though that is what lactation people will recommend.

Wish me the best! I'll let you know how it goes. :goodvibes:

bpurcell 02-18-2010 03:55 PM

we have been successful with soothies and breastflow bottles... but we introduced them at the hospital and within the first week... so we just made our own rules.

I don't recommend it for everyone... but we are being successful with both. However, she doesn't just take the paci, I have to hold it in for a few secs of her screaming and she finally takes it. Most people probably would have given up... but I'm persistent, so she eventually takes it... and when she's tired she takes it immediately. We only use a pacifier in extreme situations, when she seems to be comfort nursing, going to sleep, or screaming in her carset.

bpurcell 02-18-2010 03:58 PM

oh, ps: Adiri bottles is supposedly going out of business... so if you want those- PM me- there's a store here in Athens that still has them. But there's nothing wrong with the company- I guess they just didn't do very well.

Good luck mama!!