Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTC - Trying To Conceive (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Instead Cups/Resuable Cups For TTC & Gender Swaying Support Thread (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=933535)

tedcgh 02-19-2010 09:18 PM

When I went to order more HPT there was an add for Instead disposable cups. The site said that people order them to put in after they BD to help pool the semen close to the cervix. Anybody do this? Anybody just use their resusable cups?
Update: When I started this thread I never realized how hot the topic would be! I have been asked to rename it, so here it is the new name same great info. Please post if you have success whether you finally get pg after you use a cup or if you think it helped in gender swaying. Also post if you see IC's on sale at your local stores so others can get a good deal too! So here is to not using our cups for their intendended purpose :noaf: and future baby bumps :babydust:

MyKylie 02-20-2010 06:50 AM

Re: Using Menstrual Cups for TTC

Well I suppose it kinda makes sense. I always just elevated my hips after DTD.

MommyMilktm 02-20-2010 08:20 AM

It can definitely help but FYI the Instead cup is supposed to help to conceive boy as the spermies stay right at the cervix, and the menstrual cups like diva, moon, lady cups are supposed to help sway girl. Obviously there is still a chance for either gender but it does favor one or the other.

I know people that it has worked for after months of TTC in the first month using a cup of some sort. Provided you don't know about your DH swimmers they may need the extra bit of help and it could do the trick. It's certainly worth a try.
I always use my DC after so I don't have annoying leakage and it keeps them up where they need to be:thumbsup: Don't be surprised when there is still some seamen left in the cup though, it's just seamen and some of the dead swimmers that didn't make it:goodvibes:

l_Kimmie_l 02-20-2010 09:31 AM

I have no idea about the gender swaying as I have never seen studies about this. As a biologist and nurse, I am hard pressed to say that the Instead cup will make boys more favorable as each sperm has the capability to travel the course. Both X and Y sperm have equal capabilities as the molecular weight difference is negligible. But there could be some studies that I have missed in my travels for gender selection information.

The Instead cups really help if you have a tilted uterus and cervix. The reason why is when you have intercourse in the missionary position with this condition the penis is aimed up and the cervix is down. So the ejaculate is no where near the seminal pool or cervical opening. This allows it to sit in the hostile vaginal environment longer and most often kills the sperm. The cups carry the "Deposit" to the desired location by force. Placing the IC in place makes the cervix and seminal pool accessible to sperm. It has also been called Poor Man's IUI as it has the same effect. If you do not want to spend the money and think you may have a retroverted uterus or cervix, try doggy, reverse cowgirl, and you on top for BD positions. It places the penis in a different position so that the cervix is accessable.

The fluid that comes out after BDing is mosty CM from you and some seminal fluid with all the dead sperm in it. The good stuff coagulates inside of you after it is deposited for about 10 minutes. This allows for transfer from the vagina to the cervical canal. So do not worry about leakage, it is nothing important coming out.

tedcgh 02-20-2010 09:41 AM

I can't wait for my DC to get here, I hope it works and I won't have to use my cup for it's intended purpose until next year!

ashtonsmom 02-20-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmie_n_angus (Post 9629682)
I have no idea about the gender swaying as I have never seen studies about this. As a biologist and nurse, I am hard pressed to say that the Instead cup will make boys more favorable as each sperm has the capability to travel the course. Both X and Y sperm have equal capabilities as the molecular weight difference is negligible. But there could be some studies that I have missed in my travels for gender selection information.

The Instead cups really help if you have a tilted uterus and cervix. The reason why is when you have intercourse in the missionary position with this condition the penis is aimed up and the cervix is down. So the ejaculate is no where near the seminal pool or cervical opening. This allows it to sit in the hostile vaginal environment longer and most often kills the sperm. The cups carry the "Deposit" to the desired location by force. Placing the IC in place makes the cervix and seminal pool accessible to sperm. It has also been called Poor Man's IUI as it has the same effect. If you do not want to spend the money and think you may have a retroverted uterus or cervix, try doggy, reverse cowgirl, and you on top for BD positions. It places the penis in a different position so that the cervix is accessable.

The fluid that comes out after BDing is mosty CM from you and some seminal fluid with all the dead sperm in it. The good stuff coagulates inside of you after it is deposited for about 10 minutes. This allows for transfer from the vagina to the cervical canal. So do not worry about leakage, it is nothing important coming out.

:bowdown: this totally makes sense. When i had my ultrasound with our last loss she told me my uterus was tilted back a bit. and we keep doing it missionary lately for ttc!!! i have had a sister and friend use instead cups for ttc and worked very well. so if AF comes next week then i will be trying my instead cups. i dont use the for af as they dont fit my cervix well enough for af but for this it would be fine. and as for the sperm coagulating, i didt know that!!!!i always wondered what those little balls of jelly were!! i know TMI!! once sperm deposits how long until it gels up?

l_Kimmie_l 02-20-2010 01:58 PM

Usually about 10 minutes as it does not take long for them to swim into the seminal pool and cervical canal. Once in there they are safe and sound from the harshness of the vagina.

MommyMilktm 02-21-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmie_n_angus (Post 9629682)

There aren't any scientific studies per say; it's based on the experiments carried out by the women on ingender that routinely take part in EGS (extreme gender swaying). It's known that female sperm are more favorable in a lower PH environment and male sperm are more favorable of a higher PH environment. This is clearly seen with experiments carried out under the microscope.

The way the Diva Cup works to favor x swimmers is because it sits lower in the vagina then the Instead Cups. The sperm have to actually swim up the vaginal canal which is always a lower PH than right at the opening of the cervix during ovulation. The Instead Cup sits right on the cervix placing the y sperm in their most favorable environment.
I hope that helps explain how one favors the other:goodvibes:

precious_babae 02-21-2010 01:22 PM

I used them and I'm pregnant!! =)
Here's the advice I can give you:
I swear by Instead Cups. My husband and I tried in August without Instead Cups and Preseed, we didn't conceive. We tried in September with Preseed AND Instead Cups, and conceived. But unfortunately, it ended in miscarriage. Then we tried again, in November, with both Preseed and Instead Cups, then again we conceived and I'm now 15 weeks pregnant.
I swear by them. I have a friend that they did anal sex (tmi I know) but he pulled out and cummed on her back right around ovulation. It's the only time that they did the deed. She grabbed the sperm and put them in an instead cup with preseed and stuck it inside. 13 days later, she tested positive. I SWEAR they work! I don't know if I'm having a boy or a girl, but I do think it's a boy. So it may be true about the gender sway. It's amazing.
I'd leave the cups in overnight. And take them out in the morning. Because your cervix is so high, sometimes they're hard to reach to get out. So the best way to remove them is to sit on the toilet or bring your legs to your chest in the bathtub. But I also have a super high cervix during ovulation =)
Good luck! Please PM me if you have any questions!

l_Kimmie_l 02-21-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyMilktm (Post 9636602)
There aren't any scientific studies per say; it's based on the experiments carried out by the women on ingender that routinely take part in EGS (extreme gender swaying). It's known that female sperm are more favorable in a lower PH environment and male sperm are more favorable of a higher PH environment. This is clearly seen with experiments carried out under the microscope.

The way the Diva Cup works to favor x swimmers is because it sits lower in the vagina then the Instead Cups. The sperm have to actually swim up the vaginal canal which is always a lower PH than right at the opening of the cervix during ovulation. The Instead Cup sits right on the cervix placing the y sperm in their most favorable environment.
I hope that helps explain how one favors the other:goodvibes:

I had no idea that the Diva cup sits lower. I knew pH could effect in extreme laboratory conditions, but not invivo. I guess it would depend on how acidic/basic you could get the vagina to be without denaturing ther sperm or irritating the vagina all together. I would love to see more studies on this if you have them. Momma.