Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Whilder's Home birth (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9342)

Ooey 05-27-2006 12:34 PM

Whilder's Home birth

Contractions started Monday night. My mom decided to drive down right away because she lives 8 hours away and didn't want to miss anything. Contractions continued through Tuesday about 10-15 min apart. We all just relaxed and hung out, ate and cleaned up the house. Wed. we got the birth tub set up...contractions were 5-10 min apart most of the day, but by evening they got down to less than 5 min apart. I hadn't slept more than 2 hours on monday or tuesday, so I was pretty exausted at that point, and decided to get in the tub to try to relax so I could rest. Well that didn't work at all and I was feeling things get more intense, so around 2am I called the midwife over to check me. I was kind of discouraged to find that I wasn't dialated at all, but I was almost fully effaced. When she checked me she streched out my cervix a little bit (without asking me Sad ) and I really think that got things going. She decided to go home since it seemed to be moving slow, but as soon as she left I felt like my contractions were right on top of eachother. I got back in the tub, things started to get really hard to handle, and about two hours later I called the midwife back. She said I was dialated to 4. Not long after that she checked again and said I was at 5, but I was feeling an urge to push (I thought I might just have to fart). She checked me again and said that because my water hadn't broken yet, she thought she might have mistaken the bag of water for cervix, and I was really fully dialated, but she didn't sound to sure. She told me to follow what my body was telling me, and push if thats what I felt I needed to do. So I was in the tub (with Billy who was helping me through each contraction by breathing with me) and starting to push a little with each contraction, but I was a little worried that I wasn't really fully dialated and I was going to hurt myself by pushing to early. Well within about 3 contractions the urge to push compleetly took over, and I was grunting and screaming as I pushed with my whole torso. That lasted almost 3 hours, I was just pushing from my abdomen and it was so painful and exausting. I kept falling asleep for a moment in between each contraction because I was soooo exausted. My mom was the one who noticed how inefective my pushes seemed, and she really wanted to help hold my legs and have me push against someone to help me push. I just didn't get it at first, but I got out of the tub and sat on the toilet with her and Billy holding my legs, and after one contraction of pushing like that I instantly felt like I was making progress. My waterbag was bulging out, it was really amazing, and I could feel her head behind it with my hand. A few more pushes on the toilet and all of a sudden I started feeling like I was going to hyperventalate. I got soo dizzy and I could barly breath... I really thought I was going to pass out or die or something. I tried to catch my breath but it just wasn't working so I decided to push as hard as I could with my last bit of energy, just because I didn't know what else to do. Then I remember My mom said "here she comes" and that they could see her head, and I remember asking if it was okay to keep pushing and the midwife saying "yes!" I think I gave about 3 really hard pushes back to back in that one contraction, and then she wa out! I didn't look down to see her being born, I felt like I just had to get her out and If I looked I would have distracted myself. It all happened so fast. She was on my chest, I looked at her and though "who is this litte person" she just looked so strange to me. Then I realized OMG look she looks just like Billy and I looked at him and it was an amazing moment. I heard water leaking down and I asked if she was peeing on me, but they said no that that was the water rushing out of me. She was born in her sac with her cord around her neck (i have an amazing picture of this she looks like she's a little alien in a pod) and I guess the first thing that she did when they got her out was poop. I realized that there was meconium all over me and all over everyone and everything in the bathroom. right away she started sucking and sucking on my chest so I tried to start feeding her. The midwife asked if she could cut the cord and I said no (strangely the cord had stopped pulsating imediatly when she came out). Then we decided to move off of the toilet (lol I still can't believe my baby was born on the toilet) and on to the bed, so my mom carried her and I walked slowly with the cord still attached. We layed on the bed and she started brestfeedign right away, I was so happy too because I thought that was going to be so hard! The midwives started asking me to push out the placenta right away although I wasn't haveing any contractions or urges to. I tried for a but but it hurt a lot and I was SOOOO over pushing at that point. There was so much poo and stuff on me, and the midwives started being really pushy about getting the placenta out, that I decided to let billy cut the cord so I could deal with getting it out. So he cut the cord and my mom took the baby into the living room while I went back to the toilet to try and push out the placenta. Well as soon as I sat down in there I almost passed out again, so I went back to the bed right away. The midwives wante to give me some herb to make me have contractions and get the placenta out, but the last thing I wanted was more contractions and I really didn't feel it was as urgent to get it out at that point as they did. They told me that I either had to take the herb or let the midwife examine me to see if the placenta was even in the birth canal or if it was still in the uterus. I really didn't want to, as I was so sore down there but I reluctanly agreed. She stuck her fingers in there and it was so painful I was practically crying. Then my mom came back in, she was pissed, and she suggested that I breastfeed to start contractions (duh). So I did and I worked great, the placenta was out after a few pushes (it was huge!). I was so relived that it was over finally. Then they wanted to examine me to see If I had ripped, and that was a bunch more drama. It turns out that I ripped pretty bad in a couple of places, and have some bad skidmarks and a huge blister (not fun). A lot more pushyness from the midwives about getting stiched up, but I ultamatly decided not to. They said one of the tears was a second degree, and *might* be third degree but they couldn't tell. It didn't matter much at that point, I had hardly slept in 3 days and it was too painful to touch down there... there was no way I could handle getting stitches, even if the doctor would come to my house to do it.

Anyway the baby is wonderful, she is so healthy and strong and I really can't believe that she weighs almost 8lbs. I have no idea how she got that big, but I am now about 15lbs lighter than I was when I got pregnant! Her placenta was a bit calcified, I was surprised because she was only about a week ovedue. It's pretty amazing that she was born in her water sac (caul birth) becasue I was also and it's a pretty rare thing. It's supose to mean the child is magical or something.

Radish4ever 05-27-2006 12:42 PM

Re: Whilder's Home birth

THANK YOU for sharing your story!!!!!!

How WONDERFUL!!!

Sounds difficult but so fulfilling!

CONGRATULATIONS MAMA!!!

tararaboomdeea 05-27-2006 01:00 PM

Wow! That's quite a story! Congrats on your baby girl!! :hugs:

tararaboomdeea 05-27-2006 01:02 PM

PS- My son that was born in March was also born with his water intact. He slipped right into the world before anyone was ready, so nobody snapped a pic, but according to my DH it was the wierdest and coolest thing he had ever seen all at once. Do some research online about babies born in a caul. There is some neat reading to be done about it :)

MamaZ 05-27-2006 01:11 PM

Congratulations mama!! That is amazing :) I so want a home birth for #3 :)

raceNzanesmom 05-27-2006 01:16 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the world to your sweet new baby!! Enjoy every precious second. It goes so fast.

Many blessings!

a_cthelen 05-27-2006 02:28 PM

What a wonderful birth story! Homebirths are such an amazing way to welcome your child into this world! Way to go mommy!!

mama2iliana 05-27-2006 02:48 PM

thank you for sharing your beautiful birth story
what a wonderful thing to have your mom there to really advocate for you too

Hayley 05-27-2006 03:04 PM

Good job momma ! Can't wait to see pictures of your new Baby!
Congrats

hollyhobby30 05-27-2006 03:12 PM

What a story! Congrats on your new bundle of joy.