Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   First food? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9371)

CMamma 05-27-2006 03:40 PM

First food?

Ok so DS#2 will be ready for his intro to solids in about 1.5 months or so... I feel bad b/c I am doing things so differently than w/DS #1 but I suppose that's b/c I know more know & know better... like w/DS#1 we did rice cereal in the bottle b/c we were told to by the ped... now we know way better. Anyway... I'm wondering:

What's a good first food?

Is rice cereal really that important? (DS has so many allergies... I dunno if this could be a problem too?)

Fruit or veggie?

For those that make their own babyfood... (I plan to)... do you just add a little BM or water to make it thinner?

foofoomomma 05-27-2006 03:43 PM

Re: First food?

I did rice as the first, but if you have history of allergies Id avoid it just in case. Any 1st stage fruit or veggie would work.
If you decide to make it Id add bm since it has nutritional value
ETA Ive read that if you feed too many fruits that the child may become partial to sugary foods

4boys4me 05-27-2006 05:16 PM

well, I never had to add anything to the foods I make because I use the water that was used to steam them in and it was usually enough. I did start with rice cereal though with bm. then we did apples and bananas and then pears and then onto the veggies after those. I think I went with sweet potatoe and butternut squash and peas and then the greenbeans to way to long to do cause I had to strain them cause of the skin or something. Those didnt turn out like I hoped,lol.. Anyway, my whole point is that I totally did things different with my last ds,lol.. from Cd'ing and homemade baby food and bf and everything,lol.. it is so weird to do things you never have done before so you feel like you never even raised 3 others, lol.. I kinda winged it and he is doing just great! LOL.. Good luck!

bfoster2000 05-27-2006 07:39 PM

With DJ, we did rice cereal, then applesauce, sweet potatoes, pears, bananas, carrots, etc.

With this baby, I'm seriously leaning toward skipping babyfood altogether and just starting with mashed up table foods from the start. That's the way it's always been...how many generations of babies did just fine without Gerber? It just makes a lot more sense to me, especially if you wait later about starting solids...just go with the flow and let it happen naturally. We'll see how it actually plays out though.

As for the argument about not giving too many fruits first, I love that one! Anyone who says that has never tasted breastmilk....the stuff is like pure sugar water! It may hold true for some babies, but it definitely hasn't for us. We started with applesauce first and then alternated a fruit and a vegetable, but we did sweet veggies first too (sweet potatoes, butternut squash, sweet peas)...DJ does love fruit now and he jumps on the occasional cookie or candy treat, but he also loves his veggies...he eats WAYYY more veggies than his daddy or me either one. And veggies take far less coaxing than sweet things.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

wbkt8 05-27-2006 07:49 PM

we started with sweet potatos and avocados. shortly there after i offered applesauce, bananas, and oatmeal. i skipped rice cereal entirely - not b/c of any history of allergies, but just b/c i'd read some research that suggested starting with other stuff first.

i should also add that i offered those first, but dd had absolutely no interest until about 8-9 months when she started trying table food.

www.kellymom.com & www.wholesomebabyfood.com were my two favorite sources on starting solids.

eta - oh yeah and i never used jarred baby food - i just cooked & mashed my own. very easy.

betty_joanne 05-27-2006 08:04 PM

i've always heard avocados are a good 1st food. Nice and soft ones pureed or mashed really well.

vick 05-27-2006 08:28 PM

We used rice cereal - rice is pretty low on the allergen scale which is why it's suggested as a first food.

However, for Isabel anything with added iron was constipating, so we quickly switched to sweet potatoes, then started adding fruits and veggies. We made most of our own stuff at first, except carrots. Pears were a huge hit, as were carrots and sweet potatoes :) These continue to be big favorites. She never really dug avocado unless it was guacamole or (now) mixed with yogurt.

MamaZ 05-27-2006 08:41 PM

I started with rice cereal for both DC. Then came apples, sweet potatoes, prunes, green beans, bananas...

DD just tried avocado today and it was a hit with her! She loved it! Then again I have yet to see a food she will turn down :laugh: But she loved her avocados!

I'm just starting to make my own food. I added a bit of water to the avocado today. But I plan on using the water from steaming them. :)

Taowensf 05-27-2006 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfoster2000
With DJ, we did rice cereal, then applesauce, sweet potatoes, pears, bananas, carrots, etc.

With this baby, I'm seriously leaning toward skipping babyfood altogether and just starting with mashed up table foods from the start. That's the way it's always been...how many generations of babies did just fine without Gerber? It just makes a lot more sense to me, especially if you wait later about starting solids...just go with the flow and let it happen naturally. We'll see how it actually plays out though.

As for the argument about not giving too many fruits first, I love that one! Anyone who says that has never tasted breastmilk....the stuff is like pure sugar water! It may hold true for some babies, but it definitely hasn't for us. We started with applesauce first and then alternated a fruit and a vegetable, but we did sweet veggies first too (sweet potatoes, butternut squash, sweet peas)...DJ does love fruit now and he jumps on the occasional cookie or candy treat, but he also loves his veggies...he eats WAYYY more veggies than his daddy or me either one. And veggies take far less coaxing than sweet things.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

Seriously, we started with cereal because we didn't know any better. There's no reason NOT to wait and then no reason NOT to serve table foods. Bananas are always a great first food--the longtime recommended first food by LLL.

With future dc's we will definitely skip the overprocessed 'grain' cereals (if you can even call what it ends up being 'grains'!) and stick solely with REAL PEOPLE food, kwim? Oh, and we're hoping to exclusively BF for at least 12 months this time!

And Yeah, what PP said about the taste of BM. It's SOO sweet, much sweeter than fruits.

Best of luck to you!

:goodvibes:

riandkymommy 05-27-2006 08:46 PM

Riley's first food was a Timbit that he snuck when we were driving and they were in the backseat with him and Kyla's was a chocolate chip cookie Riley had dropped on the floor, lol!!

Guess I am not much help!! I know I always started with fruit just because I started in the morning and I couldn't imagine having carrots for breakfast, now carrot cake is another story!! :giggle:

I know what you mean about doing things so different between 1 & 2. I did alot of things the same, but have become even more "crunchy" with Kyla than with Riley!! If I have another one, I might even go further! LOL!