Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Vaginal problems (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93927)

Shannon 02-01-2007 06:35 PM

Vaginal problems

Has anyone's DD ever had part of the opening to their vagina become closed/Seaked shut?

My Ydd's has. I had NO idea. She had her 2 month well baby yesterday and the dr pointed out it out to me. I now have to apply some estrovin to her labia 2 times a day to help open it up. But since it's a hormone she may have some minor reactions to it.

I feel so awful. The Dr said it's pretty common. My mom said it happened tome when I was a baby. And I've gone on to have 3 children so it can't be too scarring. BUt I've still never heard of it before.

iris0110 02-01-2007 06:42 PM

Re: Vaginal problems

go to www.mothering.com/discussions and check out the case against circumcision. Search for Labial adhessions. I know there has been talk about it there. It isn't at all uncomon and it shouldn't cause any life long problems. :hugs:

pinkflamingos77 02-01-2007 06:43 PM

Yep, my little girl had that happen. It was not so bad to where we had to use a hormonal cream. Our ped told us to use A&D ointment and after a few months it went back to normal.

jlkhorn 02-01-2007 08:46 PM

My dd has it too. It is very common but not something you talk about in everyday conversation so you don't realize it's so common. When she was smaller and we first noticed it, we were told to put Premarin on it to open it up. It worked but after we stopped it closed back up. After doing research I learned that it is hormone related and it will open on it's own eventually. Some sooner than others but most by age 8 or so. DD is 5 now. I don't know for sure if it's still closed up because I don't check it anymore, but I know it was still closed about a year ago. Oh, and it doesn't seem to bother her a bit.

urchin_grey 02-01-2007 09:18 PM

From what I understand, there's no need to treat them. But my friends DD had labial adhesions and she said the doctor "popped" it open. :puke: I would have been freaking livid. :mad: :lemmeathim:

Shannon 02-02-2007 06:07 AM

It bled when her doctor wiped it down...not a lot but enough to make me know that I'm not going to force it open. I am treating her with it because she mentioned that if it continues to close up she could get a UTI or bladder infection(one of those) because the urine will not be able to come out. I dont' know that it will close back up...but I am going to make sure that I wipe it everytime to help keep it open. Poor girlie.

cwieberdink 02-02-2007 06:40 AM

my daughter had this, and it was bad enough to cause frequent UTIs and wetting her pants, etc. We did finally use the hormone cream even though my regular doc wouldn't prescribe. I had to get a second opinion. We used the tiniest amount possible and it took less than a week and never grew back again. She stopped peeing her pants then too.

TMI Alert! stop reading if you want!

I evidently had it when I was a child, and I' don't know if it was treated or not, but I have no visible labia minora, so I don't think so.

Chris

sienna 02-02-2007 06:43 AM

yes, i've heard of that. i don't think you shold worry, nor should you feel badly. That is a body part that should be left strictly alone, so i think lots of parents would miss that!
S

bethkay 02-02-2007 11:26 AM

My dd had it. I had no idea! I was in shock! But my friend's dd had it too. The doctor said it is pretty common. He gave me some cream and said once it opened up, just to watch it every now and then to make sure it stayed open. She's 5 now and I think around 3 it started staying open without any cream.

The doctor of my friend's dd popped it open and told her to put a lubricant from to keep it from growing back together. She was NOT HAPPY that he opened it. But I guess different doctors have different methods. I wouldn't have liked that either.

Steve's Wife 02-02-2007 12:10 PM

wow, we go to a family practice, not a ped., and I don't think the nurse prec. ever looks at her labia or vulva. Now I want to check for myself! I think I did read something about this back when I was pregnant but forgot all about it. Next diaper change I am investigating.