Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How impt is it for both kids to attend same daycare? UPDATE in Orig post! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=940332)

sticka182 03-02-2010 08:33 AM

How impt is it for both kids to attend same daycare? UPDATE in Orig post!

I'm really contimplating sending the children to 2 different places. DS is and active 3.5 yo and really needs a pre-school enviroment. DD is 15 mo and I'm really having trouble with the thought that they won't be together all day. Me & DH both work outside the home, so I feel like at least they have eachother. If I do this, they won't have that.

I really need advice, I wish finances weren't a problem, but with daycare being so high around here, it is a factor. Local daycare centers range from 517.00/ week to 781.00 per week, so it would be a stretch. I hate to post the prices below, but unfortunately it is a factor with DH's hrs cut down.

Our contract with current in home daycare ends 4/1, and prices are going up to $450/week, so I feel now is the time to make the switch.

Would you:

A. Leave them both in this home daycare together (450./wk)

B. Send him to full time pre-school and leave her where she is (460./wk) (opposite directions in the car for pick-up/drop off)

C. Send them both to the center even though I don't know how we'd stretch it (517./wk) and they don't use cloth diapers :(

D. Send him part time to PreSchool and Keep Her where she is ($491.wk)(opposite directions in the car for pick-up/drop off)

There are no good options here... but thanks in advance for the advice.

....and DH just called. He just got laid off!:banghead: I guess this is a non-issue & DS will go to part day pre-school with daddy! Not the best senario, but at least they will be home now.

b'smom 03-02-2010 08:40 AM

Re: How impt is it for both kids to attend same daycare?

Could you find a home daycare that is close to the preschool? Then you could send him part time to preschool. If that's not an option, I'd send him full time preschool and keep the younger at the home daycare.

Dolphin_Medic 03-02-2010 08:44 AM

I'd do option B so he could go to a full time pre-school. Home child care is awesome, but it does have the drawback that they have to accommodate a larger range of ages than facilities.

Do I think it's important for them to be in the same school? Nope, it's a convenience thing for me. DD is in a facility where the kids are broken up by age...if we have another kid, she wouldn't see her younger sibling during the day unless the teachers took them to visit each other (not an every day occurrence). For me, it would be more important to see that each child was in an environment that was appropriate for them and their age than to have them in the same building. If your DS needs a pre-school environment for him to thrive, that would be far more important to me than having them together.

The next question...can you take the hit on your commute? Can you swing the two separate centers? Would it require you to get up at an obscene hour and make your mornings insanely chaotic? Or would you and your H split the drop off/pickup? Or does it only add an extra few minutes that you can handle?

ETA: I answered my own question by reading better :banghead:

Julesboch 03-02-2010 08:44 AM

With him being 3.5 I would do preschool for him and keep her where she is. She will benefit from the familiarity and he will hopefully love school. The drive would be a bummer but in the end the benefits out weigh the negatives. Plus you will save on dipes for her! That's just my opinion.

knittingk 03-02-2010 08:45 AM

Mama-you didn't mention it but I would make sure there is a summer preschool program where he would go if you choose this option. I have seen sometimes where the summer programs are actually the daycare at the preschool with a few outings thrown in.
Also, something to consider if you were to choose sending him part time do you need to go and transport him from preschool to the daycare in the middle of the work day? I know some friends that have had to do this and it wasn't very easy to arrange everyday.

nikihejl2010 03-02-2010 08:55 AM

if you want him ready for kindergarten he needs to start preschool soon. The most well adjusted and exceptional learners start preschool around 3. I know its hard to let them go but you definately want a confident independent kindergartener. I am a mom of 4 and a child sociologist specializing in child behavior from birth -6yrs. (just though you might want to know my info comes from educational background and personal experience).

nikihejl2010 03-02-2010 08:59 AM

Oh and I forgot to mention if you look into which elementary school he will be attending sometimes they have preschool for the kids in their district. try checking that out. Sometimes they are willing to provide transportation for parents with conflicting schedules.

eracheld 03-02-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolphin_Medic (Post 9709217)
For me, it would be more important to see that each child was in an environment that was appropriate for them and their age than to have them in the same building. If your DS needs a pre-school environment for him to thrive, that would be far more important to me than having them together.

:yeahthat:

They will have plenty of time together at home, and imho it would be better for them to each thrive and learn on their own than to rely on the other one ALWAYS being around. Plus it's a fun way to bond at home, telling stories about what each one did at "school" hth.

Rachel

sticka182 03-02-2010 09:01 AM

Thank you so much for the quick responses!

b'smom - I've been searching for anyone who would bring them to like 9-1 preschool during the day & have not been able to find anything. I even offered to pay the current dcp for her time when he's gone. Unfortunately I don't think anything like this is an option.

Dolphin_Medic - Thanks so much for your prospective with your DC. You're right about the rooms & seeing eachother. I'm not sure how the commute will go. Right now I leave at 6:45, get there for 7am and leave by 7:15. His preschool opens at 7:30, and is 30 mins from work. so on paper it looks like i'll leave at the same time, but get to work about 20 mins later. DH will be able to pick 1 up in the afternoon.

Julesboch - Yes, and the 517.00 center says right in their handbook they DON"T use cloth diapers:banghead:

knittingk - Yes, they do follow a cirriculum in the summer, plus have "camp" for 2 weeks with outings. So it's really tempting!

Sounding like splitting them up and doing 2 drop off's is the way we'll be going!

nakedbabytoes 03-02-2010 09:01 AM

Where on earth do you live that charges so much for daycare? Yowza!
Having them be in the same place would be easier for sure, but they won't be together even in a center due to age difference. If you want them actually together, HDC is the way to go.
Financially, only you guys know how comfortable with "stretching" will work. If it's super tight, then I wouldn't. But it won't be forever either way.