Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Baby Leash? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=940772)

WhiteRockMom 03-02-2010 05:35 PM

Baby Leash?

DH and I are going on vacation in Hawaii in a couple weeks with his parents. DD loves to walk around and we will most likely have problems containing her at the airport while we wait for our plane to board.

I was thinking of picking up one of those backpack/leash things for her so she can wander and I wont have to worry too much.

Does anyone use one? I always swore I would never put my kid on a 'leash' but now I dont know. But at the same time I guess its the same as me following her around but with a bit more control.

Please dont get mad at me for thinking about buying one. I know alot of people on here probably think I am horrible for even thinking it. Its our first time traveling with her and I dont know what to expect.

TIA :goodvibes:

AVDesigns 03-02-2010 05:36 PM

Re: Baby Leash?

I've said I was going to get one for DS many times but never do. I think it would be a great idea. Airports are crazy. I've only flown once and I was alone...but I would get one if I had my son with me. There's no way I could've paid attention to things around me and kept him from running off. LOL

lilybug 03-02-2010 05:52 PM

I got one for my DS (He was 2 1/2 then) even though I never planned on doing so. I was traveling by myself with 2 young children and DS would always take off running. I was worried about the traffic and worried about him going down the escalator or running in front of people wheeling their luggage through the airport. I only used it in the airport and while getting in to a cab. My DS didn't mind as he liked the backpack part.

It may not be as bad with 2 of you watching over DD. It was hard being alone and lugging all the bags, car seats, etc with 2 kiddos. The trip I used it for was the same as you.....going to Hawaii :giggle:

If that's what you need to do to keep DD safe and within your sights, I wouldn't feel bad at all.

mycdsqueaker 03-02-2010 05:54 PM

I am using one with my 4 year old this weekend. I am flying by myself with her and my 1 year old.

momtopintsizeddictator 03-02-2010 05:57 PM

We use the backpack monkey with my DD when we go shopping- she likes to bolt, and we've had some close calls with her running in front of carts at Costco and nearly getting run over.

I would rather end up with dirty looks from people who usually don't have kids/their kids are older than have an injured child.

kimb96 03-02-2010 06:10 PM

IMO, I'd just let her run around. It's hard enough to keep a kid still on the airplane. I'd let her run around while she can and get it out of her system. If you are going with your dh's parents, then there will be enough people to take turns keeping an eye on her and someone to stay with the luggage. I live in thailand and have made that trip from the US by myself with him. I've never had a problem keeping track of him and my luggage. I always let him run around at the airport and stretch his legs because he has to sit for such a long time. I'm not opposed to leashes at all but I know from experience that you have an easier time keeping kids still on the plane when they have been allowed to move around a bit between planes.

MCR 03-02-2010 06:13 PM

We had a Monkey one for Dd, I flew with her at 2 and at 4 and it was a great help. :thumbsup:

4lillovelies 03-02-2010 06:18 PM

I have the backpack monkey too. I always thought that they were not something I would put on my child, but my almost 2 y/o refuses to be carried, or sit in a stroller for more than, oh, 2 seconds!! And he runs, FAST! So, backpack monkey is my sanity savor, lol. He doesn't mind it either b/c he gets to walk :)

MommaToBubandCJ 03-02-2010 06:21 PM

I have one that I got for my DS and now I use it for DD. I don't think it's a bad idea, especially if you're in a busy airport. She's at the age where she's exploring and curious, and she doesn't understand the dangers of running around. KWIM? I would definitely use it in the airport. And it wouldn't hurt to have along while you're on vacation either. If you're in a busy tourist area, you might want to use it then, too.

Have fun in Hawaii! I'm jealous!

TalkinBoutMyGirl 03-02-2010 06:31 PM

You could buy one and then see if you even need it. If not then you could take it back. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.