Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Preparing to Avoid Vaxes and Other Procedures (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941012)

GreenHome Sewing 03-03-2010 07:45 AM

Preparing to Avoid Vaxes and Other Procedures

Going into labor any time now...

We do not plan on letting the hospital give the baby any vaxes, no Vitamin K, no eye drops, etc.
Is there anything I should HAVE, like any legal documents, on hand for the hospital? Any words of advice? Anything I should know or be concerned of?

We live in Mass, if that matters.

Fleece Be With You 03-03-2010 07:49 AM

Re: Preparing to Avoid Vaxes and Other Procedures

Have a birth plan!! Make sure it says all of those things, especially bold and underline that he will NOT be circumcised (and don't let them retract him either). Have your DH go with him if he absolutely must be away from you at any point (this is NOT a requirement immediately after birth, tell them you want to delay his first bath and they'll let you keep him longer :))

smashncakes 03-03-2010 08:38 AM

We had both a birth plan that we wrote on file, plus the hospital had their own "birth plan" paper that you checked off/filled out. Yeah. Everything was ignored. My only advice is to have the birth plan in triplicate copies, one left at home so one doesn't get lost (we didn't do this and really should have because all copies of ours at the hospital, including their copy, were "lost"). Also, have somebody awake and with your baby the entire time. Don't let them touch your baby without you there and demand to know what they are doing every.single.time.
Our little one was promptly rushed to the nursery the moment hubby and I fell asleep, then given eye drops, Vit K, and a Hep B vaccination. We found out when the nurse brought the paper work to us the next morning to sign off on...when I said "ummm...we weren't doing these, it says so on our birth plan" She replied with "oooooops. We already did it...everybody does it, it won't hurt her, don't worry. But I still need you to sign the papers" I signed them and wrote in capital letters in very dark ink -We did NOT APPROVE these procedures before they were admninstered to our child and will be seeking legal action" Hospital got huffy and multiple lawyers turned down the case because "no harm" was done to our child from "standard procedures". True, she didn't get "hurt" and is fine...but our specific wishes for OUR child were ignored because of what everybody else does.

mamoo3 03-03-2010 09:08 AM

Room in with baby and don't ever let baby out of your sight. Also, have it all in the birth plan, have lots of copies of it, and have all dr's and nurses sign it.

GreenHome Sewing 03-03-2010 09:49 AM

Oh, boy, horror stories...lol

I definitely plan on writing up a plan.
So, now I think I'll have it highlighted, 36 pt. font, and taped all over the delivery room.

So, I won't need any types of legal documents stating my refusal of the procedures, correct?
I CAN simply refuse to have them done, correct?

Xeniphia 03-03-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonah Baby (Post 9718822)
Oh, boy, horror stories...lol

I definitely plan on writing up a plan.
So, now I think I'll have it highlighted, 36 pt. font, and taped all over the delivery room.

So, I won't need any types of legal documents stating my refusal of the procedures, correct?
I CAN simply refuse to have them done, correct?

In theory they have to have your permission to DO the procedures (which is why you have to sign all the stupid papers). So you'd think not doing them would be standard. :P The hospital gave me a refusal form to sign when I turned down the Hep B so be prepared for that, just make sure to read it and that it is a refusal not permission. LOL.

LunaBirch 03-03-2010 11:55 AM

Make your nurses and Dr aware of your choices.. I never had an issue, but we only refuses the hep B.

My kids got the eye goop, and vitamin K (because they were preemies). Circing was never an issue either.. we were always treated very respectfully when we declined hep B and circing, and I didnt have a birth pla written up either.