Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Anyone used a post-partum waist cincher/abdominal girdle?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941933)

sini 03-04-2010 12:13 PM

Anyone used a post-partum waist cincher/abdominal girdle??

Ladies,

Have you used a waist cincher/abdominal girdle?

If yes, has it helped to flatten the abs & do you have a brand that you highly recommend?

Also, how long did you wear it?

Would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks!:mrgreen:

mamakori 03-05-2010 08:20 AM

Re: Anyone used a post-partum waist cincher/abdominal girdle??

I used a moby wrap to bind my belly postpartum. This was the first time I've tried binding, and it was the most wonderful thing. My belly shrunk down so fast and it just felt amazing. It just sort of held everything in. I wore it off and on for the first week postpartum.

1blessedmama 03-05-2010 10:43 AM

I did casual "binding" in the past but didn't really try it seriously (though only with an ace bandage) until 13 months PP with DD2 when I realized I had a dia, and it STILL helped! So this time I bought an actual binder (this one). Didn't want to pay for a "fancy" one like a Belly Bandit (though this was my 2nd choice) since they're sized, and wrapping was no longer appealing to me. But I'm loving it. Not only has it flattened my belly quickly (I'm barely even 3 days PP) but it helps a lot with the afterpains (KILLING me this 3rd time around!). It hurts a big to take it off after it's been on for a while because the support it provides while wearing (on my back and belly) feels SO good and helps SO much.

Revy 03-18-2010 05:56 AM

i used the abdominal girdle with zipper..it increases blood circulation around the surgical area. The one I am using will also accelerate the healing process, diminish swelling, and flush out any harmful bodily fluid from the specific area. In the event of a sudden movement (Example: sneeze or cough), the garments control will minimize the discomfort.

musicalisa 03-18-2010 06:40 AM

I wore something like that after my cesarean to help support my scar area. It was really helpful but I was advised to not wear it for too long lest I become "dependent" on it.

poopstermomma 03-18-2010 08:29 AM

I had read that they aren't a great idea, since you really need to let your body do the supporting. Like a pp said, your body will become dependent on it, and not strengthen the muscles it needs to. I didn't use one, and never felt the need for it.

1blessedmama 03-18-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopstermomma (Post 9831313)
I had read that they aren't a great idea, since you really need to let your body do the supporting. Like a pp said, your body will become dependent on it, and not strengthen the muscles it needs to. I didn't use one, and never felt the need for it.

I think it depends. I never felt like I needed one and didn't use one after DD1. But after DD2 I had diastasis pretty badly. Didn't use one with her either. But I paid for the diastasis later on, it got worse and my back KILLED me. I started lite binding with just an ace bandage at 13 months PP and it helped SO much!!!! So I have been using one this time and it's almost already healed the daistasis completely! I don't wear it regularly, maybe a few hours every other day or so. (I've heard constant use can also aggravate prolapse, which I don't want to do as I had light issues with that last time too)

It's a very common practice in other countries and they certainly benefit from it. I don't think it would be that way if it was harmful.

sini 03-18-2010 10:24 AM

Thanks for your inputs, momma's.

Ordered one from Amazon...let's see how it goes.....

brittone2 03-18-2010 02:17 PM

I've had a diastasis from each of my pregnancies. I worked as a physical therapist pre-kids but really haven't done as much as I should to address the diastasis (split abdominal muscles).

I did wear a binder after I had my 2nd child, but not as much as I should have.

If you have a diastasis, the binder is really a good idea, particularly for anyone who wears a sling/does a front carry with their baby.

I would also say it is important to address strengthening the abdominal muscles appropriately (NOT crunches if you are dealing w/ a diastasis). I like the Tupler program (Lose your Mummy Tummy) which addresses strengthening the transverse abdominus muscles appropriately in conjunction w/ splinting.

Lovey 08-21-2010 03:34 PM

:bumpsign::giggle: